[WIN10] (Windows Insiders) 7/8.1 Home users will get Home or Pro for Free?

Will Windows Insiders who upgraded from 7/8.1 Home to Windows 10 Preview Pro be upgraded to Home or Pro version for free? All of the Windows 10 Preview builds have been Pro so if you upgraded 10 preview from 7 or 8.1 Home will Windows 10 revert back to Home or stay on Pro when RTM is released?

If you upgraded then your previous key is retained. I would assume when the final build installs it will use that key to install the upgrade.

Ok so that would mean my current Windows 10 Pro preview build will revert to Home for RTM since I upgraded from a Home key.

Only reason I brought this up is because Paul Thurrott on the latest Windows Weekly podcast was talking about this and he said he thinks "Just his Opinion" that since Windows Insiders were already using Pro version he thinks perhaps even Home users will get to upgrade to Pro version for free.

I guess we will all find out soon if he was correct or not. :)

My understanding is:

A: Continue to be in the insider program once RTM, keep Windows 10 Pro

B: Opt out of Insider program, revert back to original OS, upgrade to Windows 10 RTM from original OS.

My understanding is that your Windows 7 key is valid for Home, and such will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home come RTM.

My understanding is:

A: Continue to be in the insider program once RTM, keep Windows 10 Pro

B: Opt out of Insider program, revert back to original OS, upgrade to Windows 10 RTM from original OS.

So if a user were to reformat their PC and do a clean install of Windows 10 RTM if they sign in using their Windows Insider Account they would remain Pro even though their original OS was 7/8.1 Home? And if the user does a clean install of Windows 10 RTM and does not use their Windows Insider Account their copy of Windows 10 would then become Home instead of Pro? And if that is the case then what would happen if down the road you do sign into your PC with the same Windows Insider Account e mail? Would it revert to Pro again :) lol

This is so confusing!!!

So if a user were to reformat their PC and do a clean install of Windows 10 RTM if they sign in using their Windows Insider Account they would remain Pro even though their original OS was 7/8.1 Home?

You would also remain on the Insider's track, and your install would be pushed new beta builds of Windows 10.

And if the user does a clean install of Windows 10 RTM and does not use their Windows Insider Account their copy of Windows 10 would then become Home instead of Pro?

What? If you upgrade Windows 7 Home, you'll receive Windows 10 Home.

And if that is the case then what would happen if down the road you do sign into your PC with the same Windows Insider Account e mail? Would it revert to Pro again :) lol

This is so confusing!!!

Again, what?

You would also remain on the Insider's track, and your install would be pushed new beta builds of Windows 10.

What? If you upgrade Windows 7 Home, you'll receive Windows 10 Home.

Again, what?

Never Mind :) lol

I'll find out soon enough

Long story, short: If you're looking to upgrade to Pro, you'll need to purchase a Pro license. Otherwise, you'll be upgraded to Windows 10 Home.

Long story, short: If you're looking to upgrade to Pro, you'll need to purchase a Pro license. Otherwise, you'll be upgraded to Windows 10 Home.

Except on Windows Weekly, it was stated a rumor has been going around saying Insiders would get pro as a benefit of being and Insider.

Except on Windows Weekly, it was stated a rumor has been going around saying Insiders would get pro as a benefit of being and Insider.

Exactly and I wonder if this really is true.

My laptop came with win 8 Home, Win 10 Insider Preview is also Home, not Pro, expect it to stay Home after RTM 

I got that impression, too. If you stay in the Insider program you essentially have a perpetual beta license. It would be nice if Microsoft would actually just say what their licensing intentions were.

No, Microsoft has cleared that up already.

No, Microsoft has cleared that up already.

They have not stated it clearly.

Microsoft has revealed the upgrade path and I haven't heard of anything regarding Windows Insiders getting benefits.

Microsoft has revealed the upgrade path and I haven't heard of anything regarding Windows Insiders getting benefits.

Me neither 

Paul Thurrott opened up a new can of worms with his comments on the Windows Weekly Podcast.

Me neither 

Paul Thurrott opened up a new can of worms with his comments on the Windows Weekly Podcast.

Paul Thurrott is often full of hot air.

Paul Thurrott is often full of hot air.

To be fair he clearly said it was his assumption, he didn't claim to have been told this by a MS'ie