Family Van recommendations

Hello Neowin.

We are right now a family of 3 father/mother/2 year old and are expecting our second child end of july.

We are looking at getting a "new to us" minivan and wondering what is a good brand and model. We really dont want chevy due to past issues. Answers great especially from those who work or SO work in the industry.

right now we are looking at the 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 7 PASSENGER STO & GO w/ REAR A/C (68,342 km) for $15,500.

We were told that Dodge grand Caravans are popular for family Vans.

we just do not want to over spend or pick something that will end up craping out on us in 1-3 years time. We are looking for one that will last more then 5-10 years.

With the car we have now 08 Chev Cobalt we always have an issue almost every time we take it in for oil change. We have spent almost 8 Grand all together on fixing issues over the course of owning the car we are the original owners so we know what we have done with it and nothing to warrant the issues.

thanks

To be honest you really cannot go wrong with Dodge caravan

They are popular for a good reason.

If you don't mind a bit smaller size

Mazda5 is quite nice. I think might be a good fit for you.

Though I have no idea of the pricing....

thanks earthworm.

Queston for you earthworm or anyone

"They are popular for a good reason" what are the reason(s)?

anyone else? please need input I'm not a car person so don't want to make wrong choice.

Get a Toyota Sienna hands down.
2010 or newer. The second generation 03-10 is ok if you can find one that has been taken care of. High mileage is fine if it has been treated good.  The newest third gen 2010 to present is good but still expensive for used.   

Go toyota or Honda. If you like being plagued with issues go with the caravan or town and country.

Had a 08 grand caravan brand new...100 miles brake master cylinder was replaced due to lack of brakes (pedal went to the ground and could not stop vehicle)

10000 miles ac was replaced. Would not blow cold air.

20,000 miles side doors stopped working, worked when they wanted

Rattles and creeks from 12000mi

Air bags needed to repaired at 30k miles

Do your research, these cars are plagued with problems. Go toyota or Honda, though the dodge/chrysler is "affordable" is your time and effort factored into that to be able to keep it on the road? I wish I paid the premium for the better brand, I would feel better with my wife and 3 kids in it. The dodge are fleet vehicles, so yes they are popular. Do your research.. If going in a demolition derby, get the dodge

Get a car for small family since you are having 2 kids for now...

If you plan to get more than 2 kids, you can get minivan...

car = 2 kids local/long trips

van = 3 kids (or more)  Unless you plan to carry your kids and their friends to ball games.

Start small and save money ...

It's up to you.

Toyota/Honda is good for long run.  No problems.

Simple: Avoid American brands at all costs. We recently spent the better part of a month researching used vehicles, with a copy of the Consumer Reports Used Car Guide at our side. Almost without fail, GM and Chrysler models scored very poorly. Fords were only marginally better.

I would say Hondas or Toyotas are still the best ones out there. We ended up with a 2005 Corolla. No issues whatsoever is the first 6 months of ownership, even with 160K miles on it. 

We will never buy another GM product. Ever. They're junk. Our 2000 Cavalier was nothing but trouble for us. I think I personally put my mechanic's daughter through college. :(

(Oh, and congrats on the upcoming birth!)

Until  you need to tow something.  Can't really beat an american car (foreign car manufacturers seem to fall short in their pickups and large suv areas) for towing.  For your everyday car, nope, can't really beat the Japanese or Korean car companies as far as quality goes.  I loved my Nissan, and I really like my Toyota.  I really hated the Dodge, even threatened the dealer to run through the showroom window with that piece (yea it was that bad).  Fwiw, the Ford's that I have owned new were good too.  I have written off dodge/chrysler and GM.

Get a car for small family since you are having 2 kids for now...

If you plan to get more than 2 kids, you can get minivan...

car = 2 kids local/long trips

van = 3 kids (or more) Unless you plan to carry your kids and their friends to ball games.

Start small and save money ...

It's up to you.

Toyota/Honda is good for long run. No problems.

all of our family members are out of province 3 provinces away so will need one.

thanks

after looking at pricing, i will not recommend the caravan

i still highly recommend mazda5 2012 and up.    it is smaller.  but it is considerably cheaper then dodge/honda/toyota offerings (which are usually the top 3 "recommended buy" spots on all websites)

if you down mind the smaller size (and your family is not that big, so i don't see why not)   you can get newer madza5 for the same money as that caravan and with more upgrades. :)

it is a perfect minivan for a smaller family (1-2 kids)

plus it is an absolute blast to drive, in comparison to the other minivans i drove. feels much more like a drivers car (if that matter at all to you).    it is smaller, so you cannot be too tall though.

just go test drive it. i know a few people that have it.  they bloody LOVE it.  they have the grand touring version with leather and xenons.  

it is very nice. plus leather is much easier to clean then fabric (for the kids messes)

There's another advantage the Mazda5 has over its quasi-family mobile competitors -- it's fun to drive. Like the Mazda 3, it goes around corners with control and poise. Some automakers may boast that their minivans or SUVs "handle like a car," but the Mazda 5 actually does. In fact, it handles like a really good car. Because of its smaller size, it's also much easier to maneuver through tighter spaces, and you won't have to think twice about squeezing into compact parking spots.

Quite simply, the 5 is fun to drive, something we can't say about any other regular minivan.

i cannot recommend it enough, unless you are too tall yourself, or have 3+ kids.

otherwise honda and toyota are safe bets.   you do risk problems with dodge,  so as you said you plan to keep for a long time, it is probably not a good idea.  i would be more likely to suggest dodge if you were buying new.

Simple: Avoid American brands at all costs. We recently spent the better part of a month researching used vehicles, with a copy of the Consumer Reports Used Car Guide at our side. Almost without fail, GM and Chrysler models scored very poorly. Fords were only marginally better.

I would say Hondas or Toyotas are still the best ones out there. We ended up with a 2005 Corolla. No issues whatsoever is the first 6 months of ownership, even with 160K miles on it. 

We will never buy another GM product. Ever. They're junk. Our 2000 Cavalier was nothing but trouble for us. I think I personally put my mechanic's daughter through college. :(

But don't 2010+ and up Mazda and ford share same platform?

Is there a reason you want a minivan? 

Why not something like the Dodge Journey?  Vans are OKAY but they eat gas (even newer ones) and you loose a lot of space (no real trunk).  We found (when we had a van) the only way to really take stuff was to pull out the back row.. which cut us down to SUV size anyways.

I personally drive a 2014 F-150 and I have 6 seats in it with lots of room and a bed in the back for easy packing.

Ford and Mazda do share some parts, not all. Currently Ford owns 2.1% of Mazda....Mazda was listed on the Ford main site for a while (prior to 2010) as one of Fords brands (as with volvo, jaguar, and land rover; they have all been sold off to other entities except Mazda, they have become independently owned for the majority except Ford's small stake). 

With that said, I would not buy Mazda...mainly due to their history prior to 2010.

For your reading pleasure.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/tata-buys-jaguar-and-land-rover-from-ford-car-news

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/doom-doom-why-mazda-needs-a-savior-feature

i assume this is for me, since i am the one who recommends mazda.

mazda5 has much better reliability then american minivans.

With that said, I would not buy Mazda...mainly due to their history prior to 2010.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/tata-buys-jaguar-and-land-rover-from-ford-car-news

none of what i read there would prevent me from recommending mazda5   but i let the OP decide.  i have made my case. :)

mazda5 has much better reliability then other american miniwans.

FTFY

Ford and Mazda do share some parts, not all. Currently Ford owns 2.1% of Mazda....Mazda was listed on the Ford main site for a while (prior to 2010) as one of Fords brands (as with volvo, jaguar, and land rover; they have all been sold off to other entities except Mazda, they have become independently owned for the majority except Ford's small stake). 

I take it you haven't been in a Ford Focus  /  Mazda 3  and specially Ford ranger 2013 / Bt-50.  Heck, anything inside mazda says "FoMoCo" except for windshields and glass panels. I would say, except engine and special features per brand (skyactive, ecoboost) everything else is the same.

Edit: specially in the BT-50. it's a ford ranger, with a mazda grill... so yeah, even your article on "doom doom" is spot on, mazda only innovates in certain markets (atm crossover and entry sedan (3)) the rest, is just rebadged junk, interesting read, thanks.

mazda5 has much better reliability then american minivans.

none of what i read there would prevent me from recommending mazda5   but i let the OP decide.  i have made my case. :)

Not reall, just healthy convo

mazda only innovates in certain markets (atm crossover and entry sedan (3)) the rest, is just rebadged junk, interesting read, thanks.

mazda5 is not rebadged junk.   

and i certainly would not forecast "doom doom"  and even if the situation might not look great at some point before or after,  it will have no effect on the current owners, imho.  

i am certain the mazda dealerships will not just dissapear overnight. the company is way too popular.

there was all the doom-doom talk about mitsubishi,  yet the dealerships are around and introducing new models, after what seemed to be a certain closure around 2008 (if i recall correctly)

so, i would not worry about such things, and only look at SPECIFIC MODELS.   if they share parts with ford, who cares.   if it works well, is reliable and you like it, then why not?

i am a fan, since i know a lot of people with mazda3, mazda5, mazda6,  cx-5, cx-9  and we owned 2 mazdas in my family (both mazda3s).    never had any problems with any of them.

you edited this.      your first comment was better.

Mazda5

just because of platform sharing with ford (platform only) does not make it american minivan at all.

Who am I to judge what vehicle you buy or like, I am only offering my opinion as to what I consider subpar and what I consider quality. 

The platform is more than the frame that the car sits on, it is most major components (the base platform) or could be "many parts"...here is an example of shared platform...the bmw x3 suv utilizes the same platform as the 3series car (frame and other major components are carried over between the two vehicles)...while this example isn't the same as crossing brands, this example shows that the platform could change from car to suv which could change from truck to van or car to van or truck to car or any thing in between.  The body styling and the electronics are sometimes changed while other parts of the platform are shared.

mazda5 is not rebadged junk.       and i certainly would not forecast "doom doom"  and even if the situation might not look great at some point before or after,  it will have no effect on the owners.   i am certain the mazda dealerships will not just dissapear overnight.

i am a fan, since i know a lot of people with mazda3, mazda5, mazda6,  cx-5, cx-9  and we owned 2 mazdas in my family.    never had any problems with any of them.

Didn't specifically say the M5 was "junk", poor choice of words, just 0 innovations in copying other platforms (like the BT-50 range)

Didn't specifically say the M5 was "junk", poor choice of words, just 0 innovations in copying other platforms (like the BT-50 range)

no worries,  yeah, i lot of other models are pretty much copies.   but if they are built with better attention to quality, and provide alternative look, then why not. 

well, maybe i would not buy mazda shares on the stock market.... but otherwise it should not be an issue.

the cars look and feel great,  but it is a personal preference, obviously.