Just got glasses for the 1st time - have some questions

I get headaches pretty regularly, and since I spend so much time on a computer - I thought a good place to start was my eyes.

I was tested, and found out my eyes are in pretty decent shape, but I could see things a little clearer on a computer with some slight rx glasses.  (they called them computer glasses)

I have them now, and have noticed 2 things.

1.) While wearing them, I noticed a slight adjustment of the eye muscles.  Not necessarily anything strong enough to cause dizziness, but just something that could be described as "adjustment pains"

Im sure its 100% normal as my eyes need to adjust to something that doesnt come naturally, but I was hoping it wasnt a wrong rx

2.) Whites now have a slight tint of yellow.  For instance, this background I am typing on is not the exact same color as when I take my glasses off and look @ the screen.

I did not get any coating, or coloring - just an anti-reflective coating.

Since its Sunday, I cant call the place where I had them done, so I thought I would ask here, and then follow up sometime Monday or Tuesday when I can with the optometrist and eyeglass store.

Thanks for any info -

I'm not sure how old you are, but once you get in your 40's, your vision does begin to worsen. It's called Presbyopia.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/presbyopia.htm

Even people who get LASIK can't avoid it. Anyway, it's simply a sign of getting older and a lot of folks simply pick up a pair of "cheaters" at the drug store for $10. 

I'm not saying you made a mistake by getting a prescription. Just that it's a common condition. Next time I get glasses, I'm sure they will recommend bifocals. Sucks gettin' old! :(

The yellow tinting is rather odd to me, however. Hopefully, someone who has more knowledge will add some input. Hope it all works out.

I've only had glasses for around a year now. I remember they did take a bit of getting used to, but nothing irritating.

I've never noticed any discoloration of stuff, wearing my glasses, 1 regular pair, and one pair with anti-scratch coating and are safety glass.

Neither are tinted, colored or have any anti-glare, etc. etc.

Thanks Guys.

I am about to turn 40, and I was told what I have is perfectly normal for someone my age.
I was just hoping I didnt get something too strong.  I can see things better when wearing them (up close, reading, computer)

But have to take them off when not doing those things.

I have noticed there is a purple hue when looking @ the lenses, the light reflects on the lens, it has a purplish tint.

I need to ask about this - I am sure it serves some benefit, but I dont like it.  I hope there is a type of anti-glare, anti-scratch something that doesnt have that discoloration. 
I am sure it will be a more expensive option, but if something is white - I want to see it as white, not faintly yellow-ish white.

Thank You both

I started wearing some Gunnar computer glasses a while ago as i used to get very tired eyes at work. I only wear them during work hours when i'm on the computer. They are tinted yellow and have a slight magnification, i have to take them off when doing any specific colour work on computer screens, but it hasn't been a problem yet.

The glasses have helped a lot, i don't really get tired eyes any more.

Well eyeglasses do add a bit of chromatic aberration whenever you are not looking directly straight.

Yellow to the left and blue to the right...

The yellow tinting is rather odd to me, however. Hopefully, someone who has more knowledge will add some input. Hope it all works out.

Yellow tinted glasses have been around for years...  Since you haven't heard about it:

Take a look at this listing: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/182-7411882-3478801?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=yellow+computer+glasses

Yellow glasses are also works well for night driving: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=night+driving+glasses

In case you (or others) didn't know, there are some apps that adjust the tint overlay depends on the time of the day. Here is one of them: https://justgetflux.com

That helps you save money from buying glasses if this app works for you... Otherwise get the glasses if the app doesn't work for you.

I started wearing some Gunnar computer glasses a while ago as i used to get very tired eyes at work. I only wear them during work hours when i'm on the computer. They are tinted yellow and have a slight magnification, i have to take them off when doing any specific colour work on computer screens, but it hasn't been a problem yet.

The glasses have helped a lot, i don't really get tired eyes any more.

I bet the yellow tinting of the Gunnar glasses is the same as what is on my glasses - to make things more crisp - maybe just something I have to get used to

I bet the yellow tinting of the Gunnar glasses is the same as what is on my glasses - to make things more crisp - maybe just something I have to get used to

Every new pair of glasses (and it's the same for me as you, as in i need them for computer work mainly, only difference being that i'm almost completely blind in one eye) i get starts with a slight colour tinge, it's the anti scratch / glare coating applied to the lense and it soon goes away. Source: One of my best mates made lenses for glasses for a living.

The muscles and eyes feel like they're tightening, and feel un-natural, but this is actually more natural than what you're used to. It's what helps your eyes and stops you getting headaches as the glasses are forcing your eyes back to how they're supposed to magnify and focus. You may get more headaches for a little while as your eyes adjust, but ride it out and you'll wonder how you ever got along with out them.

Thanks - that is exactly what I was hoping for.

The lady who helped me with picking out the frames and ordering the lenses was great, but when my fiance noticed the purple reflection, she brushed it off as nothing - I was a little puzzled by that, but didnt say anything.

So Im glad you posted and told me that -

Thank You

My insurance is pretty good, the eye exam cost me $25, and the frames and lenses w/ coating were $800 for 2 sets of glasses, I paid $200 - was pretty happy about that.

Thanks - that is exactly what I was hoping for.

The lady who helped me with picking out the frames and ordering the lenses was great, but when my fiance noticed the purple reflection, she brushed it off as nothing - I was a little puzzled by that, but didnt say anything.

So Im glad you posted and told me that -

Thank You

My insurance is pretty good, the eye exam cost me $25, and the frames and lenses w/ coating were $800 for 2 sets of glasses, I paid $200 - was pretty happy about that.

Trust me, the coating is worth every penny. Especially, if like us, you'll taking them off and on a lot over the course of a day. Another tip, is get some glasses tissues, preferable the ones that contain alcohol. should make them last a lot longer and the alcohol ones one strip the coating.

I get headaches pretty regularly, and since I spend so much time on a computer - I thought a good place to start was my eyes.

I was tested, and found out my eyes are in pretty decent shape, but I could see things a little clearer on a computer with some slight rx glasses.  (they called them computer glasses)

I have them now, and have noticed 2 things.

1.) While wearing them, I noticed a slight adjustment of the eye muscles.  Not necessarily anything strong enough to cause dizziness, but just something that could be described as "adjustment pains"

Im sure its 100% normal as my eyes need to adjust to something that doesnt come naturally, but I was hoping it wasnt a wrong rx

2.) Whites now have a slight tint of yellow.  For instance, this background I am typing on is not the exact same color as when I take my glasses off and look @ the screen.

Since its Sunday, I cant call the place where I had them done, so I thought I would ask here, and then follow up sometime Monday or Tuesday when I can with the optometrist and eyeglass store.

Thanks for any info -

If I'm not mistaken the yellow tint is caused by the anti-reflective coating.

If you look your glasses outside at an angle you should see a slight yellow tint on the lenses.

If the glasses are not causing eye pain, then they're fine. Your brain is trying to adjust to them.

If they do, try waiting for a week or so. If the pain doesn't get any better, visit the optometrist.

So... you did get a coating. :D

It's the anti-reflective coating that causes the discoloration. My old glasses had that and I didn't like it.

Now I have another set of two glasses of the same prescription, one with coating and the other without, but, to my surprise, the coated one doesn't have that yellow tint. The store clerk said it's a different kind of anti-reflective coating that doesn't have that discoloration.

I never grew up wearing glasses, only started wearing them in my late teens, so I know what its like adjusting to glasses for the first time.

The pains will go away as you get used to it. What you want to watch out for is any double vision, blurry/hard to read things and headaches/migraines.

I have a slight yellow discolouration on whites caused by the coatings on my lenses. I also have a purple/red (depending on the light) reflection that occurs on my glasses and this is from the anti-reflective coating. This is the first pair of glasses I have with this particular coating and it did take a little getting used to!