Windows being very slow in response

Call it a coincidence, but since upgrading my CPU, everything in windows is taking a lot longer to load, example would be right clicking on recycle bin and choosing empty takes >30 seconds for the prompt to appear on screen. Another example is when opening explorer, often times it takes >30 seconds to launch, some programs simply will not load the GUI but show as a running process. Firefox took over a minute to load just now, and I just ran speedyfox yesterday. I am in the process of running SFC to see what it reports, because the last time I ran it, there were errors that were not able to be repaired, and when i got in the CBS.log it showed errors regarding Windows update.

Specs:

Operating System
            Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
        CPU
            AMD FX-8370    24

Are other applications loading fine, is it just Windows functions that are being slow? Or is everything lagging?

I'm not sure if it was November or May when you installed the system, and I don't know if you've installed other hardware inbetween. I would open the task manager and take a look at what happens when trying to empty the recycle bin as a start.

Are other applications loading fine, is it just Windows functions that are being slow? Or is everything lagging?

I'm not sure if it was November or May when you installed the system, and I don't know if you've installed other hardware inbetween. I would open the task manager and take a look at what happens when trying to empty the recycle bin as a start.

It' was November, and no other hardware has been installed, the CPU was the only hardware that I changed. As I said FF loads really slow as well, so does Thunderbird. Some games take a while to load, whereas others load just super fine. I am going to attempt to reinstall the OS, but the issue I had before was getting the system to boot to the DVD or USB drive.

It' was November, and no other hardware has been installed, the CPU was the only hardware that I changed. As I said FF loads really slow as well, so does Thunderbird. Some games take a while to load, whereas others load just super fine. I am going to attempt to reinstall the OS, but the issue I had before was getting the system to boot to the DVD or USB drive.

I'm not happy about this, but I've recently moved from Firefox to Chrome for my daily browsing only because Mozilla applications don't seem to be as responsive recently. Checking the Task Manager I realised how much memory it was consuming. For reference I've got 16GB of RAM, and I still noticed how slow it had become. Firefox is still on my system because of the extensions, and I'm hoping they're going to sort themselves out so that it can be my default browser again.

While reinstalling the OS would be a last choice for me, if Windows is definitely the culprit then I would do the same. However, normally reinstalling the OS isn't a mission compared to what you just described, so again I really would leave that as a last resort.

Does Event Viewer offer any notes? I'm not sure it would pick up on such an idea, but it's always worth checking.