Restore image on new HDD

I have a hard drive that's failing, which I've done an image backup of. I've bought another HDD. I've formatted it and installed Windows 8.1, all was fine. I did an image restore, but nothing actually goes on the computer, despite taking 2 hours to complete.

The HDD is also not recognised by the computer, when the failing one is not in it.

Is there a way to get this back up working properly? I don't want to keep the failing one in longer than it needs to be.

Perhaps a 3rd party program?

What app are you using to copy the drive?  It sure sounds like your copy job isn't working as you should just be able to boot with the new drive.  Depending on your level of competency I'd recommend doing either:

• Put in the new drive.  Install Windows.  Put the old drive in a USB caddy and copy the data off it (Documents/Pictures/whatever)
  • Put in the new drive.  Put in the old drive.  Boot from USB stick/CD and Ghost old drive to new drive.  Disconnect old drive, reboot.  Depending on your version of Ghost you may need to use Bootrec to fix the MBR.

You must use a HDD that is the same size or larger than the one the system image was created for. You will not be able to do a system image recovery to a smaller HDD.
try using Todo Backup to back up the old drive and restore the contents to the new drive. I find it better than Windows's built-in utilities.

I use Acronis......with old drive in...created disk image and sent to usb external HDD drive for storage and burned startup DVD...Change drives and boot from startup DVD and point to  image on usb external HDD drive when asked for location of image file...worked great.......note...same as mentioned, same size or larger replacement internal HDD............lot's of similar programs to choose from....same general idea......Cheers 

It could be that your drive is past the point of being copied.... assuming you did it right

There are a ton of good copy utilities out there - snag one from the website of what brand your new HDD is - they all have their own

WD uses Acronis which is probably the most popular - I have been using Acronis True Image for years, never a problem.

Also mentioned above EASUS' Todo Backup - EASEUS makes good stuff

• Like 1