What features Win10 is missing?

I use windows 8 because it came pre-installed on my new PC and wasn't worth changing.   I will be updating to 10 and switching back to a more 7 style experience.  8 isn't BAD but I personally find 7 leaps and bounds better.

Your "comparison" is clearly just a list of features in your preferred option, designed specifically to make the others look bad. I'm sure I could create a similar table, using all the features of the Start Screen as my baseline, that would make Classic Shell look terribly under-featured. e.g. Live Tile support. You are also completely wrong on some points. e.g. The Start Screen is able to display far more without the need to scroll than any way you care to set up Classic Shell. In All Apps view, I can see 90 app icons on my HD res screen. If I wanted to, I could fit 240 small tiles onto the Start Screen itself. 240! Nothing else comes close to that.

So you sit and stare at a full screen of squares just to watch them move?  I actually use a computer for work and playing games.. not checking the weather on a live tile.  Eh, small tiles are just icons with no space between them, again not really something worth while in my opinion.

Your "comparison" is clearly just a list of features in your preferred option, designed specifically to make the others look bad. I'm sure I could create a similar table, using all the features of the Start Screen as my baseline, that would make Classic Shell look terribly under-featured. e.g. Live Tile support. You are also completely wrong on some points. e.g. The Start Screen is able to display far more without the need to scroll than any way you care to set up Classic Shell. In All Apps view, I can see 90 app icons on my HD res screen. If I wanted to, I could fit 240 small tiles onto the Start Screen itself. 240! Nothing else comes close to that.

Please do.  I would like to see it.

As it is now...both Windows 8x and Windows 10 lack the options that Windows 7 (and previous version) had with regards to the Start Menu...which some of us prefer instead of the flashy tiles.  Windows 10 Start Menu is almost there...but without the option of moving shortcuts to where you want (directories) ... it is a no go.  Instead of a huge scroll list ... I'd rather have my 5-6 directories with the shortcuts in them.

Hopefully Classic Shell will be available for Windows 10.  As it is now the Windows 10 start menu and the A-Z scrolling is unfortunate (for lack of a better word).  

Microsoft heavy handedly removed the ability to customize the title bar color. Stuck with white now unless we modify system files. 

Microsoft saw all those feedback items in the early days of Windows 10 where people asked for the ability to choose a black title bar without the text becoming invisible and decided to remove the ability to change Win32 title color altogether... to placate the simpletons who find more than 1 hamburger menu and 2 radio switches worth of options intimidating. 

I miss the hot corners from Windows 8.x :)

I know I'm going to the Notification center, but I would like for it to show up when I swing my mouse in the right corner.

The option to remove all the chrome in Edge, like modern IE, for tablet mode

Another one I would really like to see is a toggle to auto hide the taskbar when in Tablet Mode

Now that is a gesture I could get behind.

I don't see the hangup around the chrome, especially if you are on full screen start.  It works fine on phone sized screens and laptops, but somehow not in the middle?  You just want the tab row to show up inline with the address bar?  I could vote for that as an option.

but without the option of moving shortcuts to where you want (directories) ...

I agree, this would be a great addition.  Win8 could have been tolerable if it had it, but it would flow much better with the Win10 layout.

Being able to turn off updates in the home addition of Windows 10.... I don't quite follow Microsoft logic behind this decision. I get that some people are just idiots who rather not install updates and leave their PC vulnerable but at the same time not all updates are good.

I was ranting about this a month ago but have decided that I'm going to have to shell out the $100 for the Pro edition. For me, it's too much of a downgrade to go from Home Premium (Win7) to Win10 Home. 

I really don't feel too bad about it because I didn't spend a penny on Win 8.

I'm just going to take the free upgrade from Win7 Home Premium to Win10 Home. Then upgrade from Win10 Home to Win10 Pro.  Life is good!!  :)

Now that is a gesture I could get behind.

I don't see the hangup around the chrome, especially if you are on full screen start.  It works fine on phone sized screens and laptops, but somehow not in the middle?  You just want the tab row to show up inline with the address bar?  I could vote for that as an option.

I agree, this would be a great addition.  Win8 could have been tolerable if it had it, but it would flow much better with the Win10 layout.

What I meant with no chrome in Edge is that I would like to see a full screen version like Modern IE, where you see no address bar or tables unless you swipe from the top or bottom. For all I care they leave the layout as is, just make it possible to auto hide it :)

I really enjoy using Modern IE on my touch screen laptop. It's only 13" so the more of the page I see in one go the better

As for Windows 8, it is absolutely freakin' awesome. Every, single feature form Windows 7 is still there - you can't say that about W8 to W10 - and all the things that were broken were fixed. What people "like" doesn't matter, what matters is that no-one can actually point to a single feature that makes it worse than W7. Believe me, I've heard 'em all and they are all completely wrong-headed. e.g. "I don't need a Start Screen that takes over my whole screen" is nonsense because every version of Start, all the way back to Win95, has taken focus from any open applications, effectively taking over your whole screen. With Windows 8 they just decided that if it was going to take focus, there was no reason it shouldn't make full use of the screen to offer the best possible experience.

Another common one goes along the lines of "when I double-click on a PDF I don't want to be dragged off to a full-screen Metro app". This is also nonsense because a) when I click on any image file, I'm "dragged off" to a full-screen Photoshop in every version of Windows and b) it is the simplest thing in the universe to change the default app away from the pre-installed Reader (which I love for it's simplicity) to any 3rd party PDF reader. After all, what happens in W7 when you double-click a PDF? Nothing, because W7 doesn't come with anything that can read PDFs. It absolutely beggars belief that people can complain about being given software that they previously had to source and install themselves.

The third common complaint I hear is "everything is designed for touch but I use a mouse and keyboard". Well, I'm in the same boat and I know that it's not a valid criticism. For example, would it surprise you to learn that a small tile on W8's Start Screen is smaller than a small desktop shortcut in Win7? (W7 offers two sizes for desktop shortcuts.) And not just a tiny bit, either, they are about 20% narrower and not much more than half as high. There is also less space between them, meaning that Windows 8 can be set-up to be less touch friendly than Windows 7. How perverse is that!?!

I think you've answered yourself pretty well. Yes, the start screen is completely distracting, annoying, useless, and people just don't like it. Doesn't matter whether you agree with it or not. Even more annoying is the default "app" for reading PDFs. I honestly don't know what you're talking about as far as image files are concerned. Unless you had photoshop in every previous computer you owned and had set it as the default image viewer, it's not even true. The default image viewer is just a nice clean program that opens your images by default every version of windows except 8 - and it's not a full screen program, it's a maximized program. There's a huge difference. Tbh you might be right about the W10 start menu - I haven't played around with the preview in ages (although I definitely remember being able to pin stuff on it) but still I want it.

Connector software for windows 2012 essentials.

Ability to configure the network properties such as DNS, or WINS of a VPN

DirectAccess ?

Ability to link a Microsoft account to a domain account.

What I meant with no chrome in Edge is that I would like to see a full screen version like Modern IE, where you see no address bar or tables unless you swipe from the top or bottom. For all I care they leave the layout as is, just make it possible to auto hide it :)

So just more of a F11 mode?  I wouldn't want it on by default, but that should be in their list of IE features to import.

The linking of account (or just allowing Office365 accounts to function as MS Accounts) would be nice, especially on WP.

Motor, you have a soapbox thread for that. 

What features Windows 10 is missing? ... A stable OS that just 'works' as its supposed to. For me at its current state, a stable and bug free OS is a 'feature' that needs to be included. :D

I honestly don't get what MS is trying to do. :/ If they can deliver a quality product, well and good. They seem to be juggling too many balls at once. I am sure it will be received with mixed reviews.

Looks like Windows 7 and 8 fans would continue to use their respective OS for the foreseeable future.

I use windows 8 because it came pre-installed on my new PC and wasn't worth changing.   I will be updating to 10 and switching back to a more 7 style experience.  8 isn't BAD but I personally find 7 leaps and bounds better.

So you sit and stare at a full screen of squares just to watch them move?  I actually use a computer for work and playing games.. not checking the weather on a live tile.  Eh, small tiles are just icons with no space between them, again not really something worth while in my opinion.

No, I don't. I don't have a single Live TIle on my Start Screen. What I do have is a labelled section for my graphics applications, another for all my music software and a couple more to separate utilities and apps so that I can get to them instantly. More importantly, on the rare occasions I need something that's not pinned, like 3DS Max's Portable License utility or maybe just a PDF reference, I can see all of my app/applications on a single scree without scrolling or having to resort to a jump list to find things. Seriously, it is just as easy to find apps on my 4.7" phone screen as it is on my 29" monitor. i.e. I can see the same number of app icons at a time. How stupid is that?

And someone who plays games on their computer has a lot of front to suggest that they "actually use their computer". I'd suggest staring at Live Tiles is a much better use of time.

I think you've answered yourself pretty well. Yes, the start screen is completely distracting, annoying, useless, and people just don't like it.

This simply shows how stupid people are because my Start Screen is none of those things. 15 minutes of setting it up and it requires virtually zero interaction from then on. You get to everything you use in just two steps - open the menu, click the tile. You can't say that about Win7 where, at best, you can do that for a dozen things, forcing you to choose what you pin very carefully or, as I did, find somethign that actually works for you. I spent 100 hours or more making a custom Rainmeter theme to make up for the limitations of Windows 7's Start Menu but Win8's Start Screen made it completely redundant by being even better.

Unless you had photoshop in every previous computer you owned and had set it as the default image viewer, it's not even true. The default image viewer is just a nice clean program that opens your images by default every version of windows except 8 - and it's not a full screen program, it's a maximized program. There's a huge difference. Tbh you might be right about the W10 start menu - I haven't played around with the preview in ages (although I definitely remember being able to pin stuff on it) but still I want it.

Of course I've had it installed on every PC I've ever owned, from Photostop 3.0 on my DX2-66 in 1996. Until recently, it always stole all the file associations so you had to go and actively change them back after installation. And there is no such thing as a "default" image viewer for every version of WIndows. Windows Picture and Fax Viewer appeared in XP (it came from Windows NT) but before that I had to spend money on things like ACDSee to even get image previews. The fax viewer has since morphed into Windows Photo Viewer but it's format support is rubbish - no TIF, no TGA and no modern image formats for HDRI or layered files. It's an area where Windows is way behind OS X but with Adobe Bridge it is not the issue it used to be for graphic artists.

Your assertion that it doesn't open images in Windows 8 is also completely wrong. You have not had to actively set file associations since the very earliest versions of W8 - the first time you double-click on an image file in Explorer, you get to choose which application to use to open them from that point on. And for the record, my Photo Viewer utility has always opened full-screen, although I have been using Photos more and more because it contains much better navigation. It is particularly useful in a split-screen for D'n'D, which I don't think you can do from the desktop viewer (never thought to try).

The only way you can pin things in the W10 Start Menu is as a Metro style tile, just like Windows 8. If you don't want that UI, you can't pin things to Start, pure and simple. So good luck with your "more 7 style experience", you'll have to work really hard to make it even as much like 7 as W8 is.

I really enjoy using Modern IE on my touch screen laptop. It's only 13" so the more of the page I see in one go the better

I enjoy using it with my mouse and keyboard. I don't understand why nobody notices that most of the interaction within web pages occurs at the bottom of the screen. e.g. Look what happens when you want to reply on these forums - it takes you to the bottom of the page. Having all your browser controls down there actually makes life easier, even with a mous eand keyboard.

My three issues right now...which I've given feedback on all:

-Missing the option to customize the Start Menu.  Instead of a long list of All Apps ... I would like to be able to create directories and place shortcuts in them (similar to Windows 7).  Directories can be made as evident by them already being there like "Windows Accessories", "Windows Administration", or when new W32 programs are installed.  However, I want my own  directories and be able to customize as I see fit.

-You can rename directories created.  For example, I changed the Office 2016 Preview directory to just "Office 2016".  However, you can not create new directories as they just do not show.

-You can not put shortcuts into directories as they do not show up.

In the image below.  I renamed the MPC-HC x64 folder to "Multimedia" which was reflected.  I also removed a couple of shortcuts which was also reflected.  It however didn't reflect Windows Media Player being moved into that directory or the Miracast.

post-21852-0-30319300-1436051073.jpg

Just odd.

-Just stability for Modern UI applications.  I highly suspect this is due to it being a TP ... but having applications just close without any known reason or error is puzzling.

-I miss my black taskbar.  The darkest option is fairly dark ... but it isn't black.  I could have sworn black was on previous builds but not 10162.  Why?

....and this dang window when opening shortcuts from the "Link" area (previously Quick Launch).

post-21852-0-40137400-1436050327.jpg

The option to use either the 7 Menu or 8.x Screen if we prefer either over the 10 Frankenmenu.

Yeah choice would be awesome. I'd rather use the Win 8.1 Start Screen over that mess in Windows 10,

but I'd prefer a start menu like Windows 7, well like how the first couple Win 10 builds were, till MS totally messed it up.

No, I don't. I don't have a single Live TIle on my Start Screen. What I do have is a labelled section for my graphics applications, another for all my music software and a couple more to separate utilities and apps so that I can get to them instantly. More importantly, on the rare occasions I need something that's not pinned, like 3DS Max's Portable License utility or maybe just a PDF reference, I can see all of my app/applications on a single scree without scrolling or having to resort to a jump list to find things. Seriously, it is just as easy to find apps on my 4.7" phone screen as it is on my 29" monitor. i.e. I can see the same number of app icons at a time. How stupid is that?

Some of us like the minimalist look, personally I always found the start screen jarring and I would remove every tile from it.  I've also found the search in windows 8 to be sub par.

And someone who plays games on their computer has a lot of front to suggest that they "actually use their computer". I'd suggest staring at Live Tiles is a much better use of time.

quite an ignorant thing to say.  I think nVidia or AMD might disagree with you. We're not buying/building

At OOBE stage during login with Microsoft Account assistant should ask if user want to fetch data/restore backup (like on Windows Phone) from cloud or treat device as new one. Also, force to clear data /restore backup and overwrite local data from OneDrive from Settings would be a good feature.

Assign program to launch on specific desktop - if it's more than one present.

If Store is meant to be a main source of software distribution on unified Windows platform then user should be able to freely switch between regions in look for new software - current content of Store for Poland is pretty sh*y. Not mention that despite of statements there are still fake/bad quality apps everywhere - they should do clean ups often and roll more restrictive requirements for app publishing.

Tabs in File Explorer in rewritten Modern version of it.

Quiet hours independent from Cortana - since it still doesn't work everywhere.

I think Windows 10 is pretty set feature wise. I am happy with just about everything with the only exception being the dumb white window titlebar UI decision.

For me I am disappointed there is not a button to make bacon fall in a lovely 4k animation across my desktop.

The option to use either the 7 Menu or 8.x Screen if we prefer either over the 10 Frankenmenu.

same here, I really dislike the bastardized hybrid menu as I call it.