HDD issues

I have a 500 GB HDD that somehow had a logical partition created on it, so I relocated all the data and deleted both the partitions. Now I have been attempting to format the drive since last night(not quick) and it's still not done, I would estimate that I started the format around 2100 and as of right now it's still not complete and does not show any estimate or indication that its formatting. The drive is an older WD and I primary used it for my games. Can anyone shed some light onto what I might attempt next?

get a new drive ;) 

How did you try and format it? Right click, disk manager - something 3rd party?

get a new drive ;)

How did you try and format it? Right click, disk manager - something 3rd party?

Disk management. I'm sure that the drive is most likely at the end of its life

Well this is interesting, it was a seagate so I grabbed Seatools and had it format the drive, and it is now working. I really have no idea what is happening here.

did you run the seatools diag on it, did long pass? What does the smart info on the disk say about its condition?

Well this is interesting, it was a seagate so I grabbed Seatools and had it format the drive, and it is now working. I really have no idea what is happening here.

It passes most states of Seagate/Maxtor/Samsung drives unless the head has crashed or SMART is stating the drive has a damning error I'm afraid.

If it refuses to format under your OS though, seek an RMA if possible via the Seagate website. They're quite good about it so long as it's (vaguely) under warranty.

Seatools ran every test and it passed. SMART reports no errors. The drive is 4 or 5 years old so no warranty.

I have a drive that is over 6 years and still going..  Not very fast or big.. But hey it still works for storage ;)

I have a three 320GB that are over 7 years old and still going and I had three 2TB that started to fail and are under 2 years old but they where installed vertically not that it should make a difference I just think horizontally is better for the drive. Need less to say bigger drives are just likely to have more problems then smaller drives.

Years calculated by power on hours.