Buy Windows 10 Pro for $2 in Microsoft store?

I created an ISO from the install file and didn't enter a product key during installation. I then went to activate windows and there was an option to change product key or go to the store. So I went to the store and it said I could buy Windows 10 for $2 ... so for chuckles I put it on my credit card because it was only $2. I then went back it said it was successful and Windows 10 pro was now activated.

Hmm... So I backed up the product key, I wonder if it will work on a clean install and activate after the RTM drops.

19293918042_ce574d0288_c.jpg

18679333583_ffb93c7175_c.jpg

Did they physically charge your card (I assume so since they asked for the number) but wondering if it's in some test mode maybe?

post-4927-0-81484600-1435681556.jpg

• Like 3

So I did it on my other Windows 10 Machine, and after it activated I used a product key finder and it matched the other machine.

So can someone else try it and see if they give you a product key ending with 7XM87

Likely the PID generated that activated your build won't work on RTM, they change the generation of codes.

Edit: I'm pretty sure this exact thing happened back with Windows 8.0 before RTM. Where it would take you to a page and activate etc but they keys didn't work on RTM.

It appears the key I got from them is a Generic key install key. After searching the net. Wondering if a different product key will drop later on, or if it will still activate ..hmmm.

It sends you a confirmation email, but does not show up on your order history (at least not at the moment)

So for kicks i'm now reinstalling and logging in with my live account. Gonna see if it automatically activates, and if it does which product key it's going to hand out to me.

Probably the same generic, but we shall see.

It did automatically Activate Windows 10 Pro once I signed into my Live account, but it gave me the same generic Key.

It did automatically Activate Windows 10 Pro once I signed into my Live account, but it gave me the same generic Key.

Darn, that would have been awesome had it worked.  I am not surprised it auto activated as all installs seem to do that.

yeah no wonder (windows 10 for 2$ lol).

i wonder how many folks are going to be duped because of this :rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

It sends you a confirmation email, but does not show up on your order history (at least not at the moment)

Now it's showing up on my order history. Yep I paid $2 on 3 machines. I figure, ya probably a fluke... but if on the small chance they honor it, why not do it on 3 machines, it's only $6

19798800502_69b2800c3a_b.jpg

warwagon: My Windows 10 build 10240 key ends in HCFC6.

Mine is the generic key ending in 3V66T

Mine is the generic key ending in 3V66T

So does mine.

warwagon: My Windows 10 build 10240 key ends in HCFC6.

Not uh.

So does mine.

Not uh.

Ya but everyone's activates and gets a generic key on the preview builds. I'm wondering how it will be treated on my Microsoft account with the RTM build. Probably won't work, but I Figure, worth a shot.

Now it's showing up on my order history. Yep I paid $2 on 3 machines. I figure, ya probably a fluke... but if on the small chance they honor it, why not do it on 3 machines, it's only $6

19798800502_69b2800c3a_b.jpg

It wouldn't surprise me that the generic key is the install key and the actual activation is tied via hardware id and your live account.  When you try to activate, it probably checks to see if your live account is provisioned for it.

It wouldn't surprise me that the generic key is the install key and the actual activation is tied via hardware id and your live account.  When you try to activate, it probably checks to see if your live account is provisioned for it.

and maybe... and this is a pretty large maybe.... it will be when it reaches RTM.

Ya but everyone's activates and gets a generic key on the preview builds. I'm wondering how it will be treated on my Microsoft account with the RTM build. Probably won't work, but I Figure, worth a shot.

It has already been discussed at MyDigitalLife forums. The key purchasing system is currently being tested and is not yet ready to deliver legit keys. Your first warning should have been that the key you got was generic but no you didn't stopped until you bought 2 more :p 

These keys won't activate when you install RTM (since these will be actually be verified by MS servers. And MS servers will think you are using generic keys so no chance of activation)

and maybe... and this is a pretty large maybe.... it will be when it reaches RTM.

I think that it most likely will.

I was uh...playing around the other day and accidentally deleted my product key out of the system and it remained activated.