Done with Facebook

Agree with OP and Jim Florentine 100%

I have NEVER used Facebook and have NEVER had any desire to use it. Totally agree it's for 16 year olds and soccer moms but in a normal society, even those 2 categories should have enough intelligence to see how ridiculous Facebook is!

I've seen and heard enough about FB from my kid and 1 sister in law for it to make want to puke!

I could go on and on ranting about the stupidity level of that site but just thinking of it ticks me off and get's my blood pressure cranking!

Rofl, that was hilarious.

(For the record, I miss msn messenger, I wouldn't need facebook at all if that still existed)

Same, I miss MSN as well.

But to be on topic, I closed down my facebook 2 years ago, never even had the urge to go back. People who say "uh-oh my friends hurr durr" - so you don't have a phone? "Social" media makes people anti-social.

• Like 1

Facebook, like Twitter, is exactly what you make it. Much like the rest of the world around you.

There is far more going on, on these networks than you can imagine, with people from all over the world and from every walk of life.

Saying it is for any one group, is pretty ignorant.

I have multiple facebook accounts, and they couldn't be more different in content. Some of them have a bit of crossover, but that is my doing.

Even on Neowin, some people will never go near religion or politics or gaming or funny pics or boobs.

So their experience of this site will be entirely different from your own.

• Like 2

Facebook itself is fine. In fact I think it's implemented and operated rather well as far as social networks are concerned.

It seems to me that the problem you've got is with people.

Full agreement.

Personally I don't use Facebook as much anymore as I used to. More importantly, I don't let anyone's posts rile me up. Who cares if person A is a right-winger stuck in the 1950s? Let them live in their bubble, I'll chuckle and move on with my life.

• Like 1

If you can come accept the fact that on Facebook the users are the product and not the consumer; then you'll be just fine.

You can log out and never log back in again or deactivate your account

Yeah great, except there are a lot of people who's games/apps are now tied into their Facebook account.  Sure, that is "their own fault" but Facebook have been very clever devising ways to make it awkward to leave.

• Like 1

"Social" media makes people anti-social.

100% wholeheartedly agree (I'd give a thumbs up emote, but I'm posting from my phone and don't have those options).

So much drama. I thought we had gone through this phase of rage quitting Facebook years ago.

Just because you don't use Facebook you don't need to insult everyone who does. Just makes you look like a bit of a bellend really.

Just wondering how many of you have quit or not to vent joined Facebook. I was on it for years and I was visiting it constantly reading posts, updating, etc.

Recently it has gotten very political and I found myself getting very angry and miserable from it. All the anti cop videos and posts, people offended by everything, posting drivel bullcrap, and so on.

My favorite podcaster Jim Florentine has a series of Awful Facebook post rants and he helped me see reality, he said that people he meet that aren't on Facebook aren't stressed out and are generally happy. He says that Facebook is for 16 year old girls and soccer moms.

I finally lost it when I started seeing friends changing their profile pictures to that dumb rainbow overlay. I started deleting everyone who did it then just said screw it and deleted my account.

I'm finding myself spending my time more constructively and not getting wrapped in drama.

Anyone else feel the same way about Facebook?

+1 - Facebook is a honeyspot for negative mindsets. I'm just tired of all the fake Christian quotes, the silly "i am at brockhurst burgers....Yummy! or the "insert husband/wife/gf drama / fake sense of living "you are a great mother, meanwhile she's partying every day etc" sort of nonsense. Also from a privacy standpoint, FB is a massive NSA data collection tool. Just think of all the things people release on there.

Life is so much better without it.

So much drama. I thought we had gone through this phase of rage quitting Facebook years ago.Just because you don't use Facebook you don't need to insult everyone who does. Just makes you look like a bit of a bellend really.

Happy Birthday

Agree with OP and Jim Florentine 100%

I have NEVER used Facebook and have NEVER had any desire to use it. Totally agree it's for 16 year olds and soccer moms but in a normal society, even those 2 categories should have enough intelligence to see how ridiculous Facebook is!

My grandad is 90 and he uses Facebook to keep in touch with family - he's regularly on his iPad using it. I find it a very useful way to keep in touch with friends who don't live near. It allows me to keep up-to-date with my friends and family. For instance, this weekend my brother is at Silverstone for the Grand Prix and he was posting pictures about it - I wouldn't have seen those pictures were it not for Facebook. My Dad, who is in his sixties, regularly comments about things I post on my Facebook that he wouldn't have otherwise known about. I speak to my brother and father multiple times a week and yet Facebook still allows me to better keep in touch and follow the important events in their lives.

But don't let that stop you calling people stupid.

• Like 1

I just hide the stuff from boring ppl and fb groupies. My feed has gotten way better that way. I see minimum hashtags, pictures of food, houses for sale not in my city, baby pics of ppl I don't care about, etc. All that is left is funny stuff or news from ppl who know how to use the service in a reasonable way.

I have a facebook account but I don't use it that much. I disable all notifications, set myself offline to all but a select few people on chat, have no friend access to my wall, etc.

I will pop on now and then but I don't check on profiles all that much. Sometimes I will wish old friends who have moved away a happy birthday or such but nothing more.

The key, for me anyway, to facebook is to not absorb yourself into the constant comparison with all your "friends". People get stressed, worked up, angry, annoyed, anxious, depressed, and god knows what else because of an overdose of information.

Some people post way too much and get on your nerves when in real life you either would never notice or they are not actually like that. Some people seem to have amazing lives constantly but you forget you are seeing very specific moments in what is more than likely a very normal, boring life. You see friends or more often colleagues or acquaintances buying houses or having children or getting a promotion and you put yourself down because they appear to be more successful than you. The problem is facebook is a echo chamber. You automatically compare yourself to a number of people and not just an individual so when you see several friends announce they will be parents and a few others get amazing new jobs and yet another buy a house or a second home your brain doesn't quite work out that it isn't the same person doing all these things yet it still puts all these feelings of "they are better than me" into your sub-conscience.

If you don't enjoy facebook then don't use it. If you find you can't control yourself well enough to not let it get to you then quit. We survived for thousands of years before it just fine :)

• Like 2

I was think about switching to Messenger only too and setting up e-mail notifications for a few things, but instead of using the website I'd prefer using an app, I know I can set it up with Pidgin but that's the chat and I don't want to appear on line, I found these two http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/fbmessenger-stand-alone-facebook.html and http://messengerfordesktop.com/ are they trustworthy?

I don't understand what you are trying to do but you can't chat with Facebook users with those apps anymore. Facebook doesn't support the XMPP Chat API anymore and the first link you provided even says that it doesn't work anymore. Someone please correct me if I am wrong here...

Wow, the ignorance of some folks is simply astounding at times. 

5a2d0aa5f5a57f9f0451cf349b630c95.gif

Yeah, I really don't see a problem with people taking pride in who they are. Especially after centuries of having to hide it. Seriously dude, if a frickin' flag is all it takes to make you feel unnerved, I think that says a hell of a lot more about you than the gays. I guess some guys are simply not comfortable in their own masculinity. Otherwise, why would you even care?  :/

Oh, and Facebook has never been, nor will ever be, a part of my life.

Anyone could make a rainbow and write text in it.

Screenshot that sh*t send it to your local pd, if everyone did this, then whatever department in charge would have to investigate, ok it cannot help if the perpetrators are in china, but domestic citizens bound by domestic laws are a differenct story.

But then I have it and would be guilty of possession, and I'm a far easier target for my local DA than Facebook all the way out in CA.

But then I have it and would be guilty of possession, and I'm a far easier target for my local DA than Facebook all the way out in CA.

Not really, that one's easily explained, you screenshotted purely to report, and you can make a copy for them to investigate the links before you delete (if they request)

Or, simply don't delete, go to your local pd, show them the original, let them either copy it off your phone, or use it to check and see WHERE the link goes, and THEN delete

(Similar to reporting a dumped weapon of some sort, they're there to help, make your intentions clear)

:)

Never had an acount and dont miss it except when competitions require going to facebook, even Neowin has done that. People I know have an acount and are always telling me to get one so they can keep in contact. I have a phone and e-mail, if thats not enouugh then another outlet, keep it.

Anyone could make a rainbow and write text in it.

Anyone can post a comment that says... "Anyone could make a rainbow and write text in it.".

I don't understand what you are trying to do but you can't chat with Facebook users with those apps anymore. Facebook doesn't support the XMPP Chat API anymore and the first link you provided even says that it doesn't work anymore. Someone please correct me if I am wrong here...

I haven't tried them yet.

I've tried connecting using Pidgin and that doesn't work anymore, it doesn't connect but Facebook still notifies me regarding an access to my account.

As for the second app, it seems just like the dev ported messenger.com inside that app, but I haven't tried it because I don't know who I'm sending my login credentials too or where I'm sending them, so I wanted to know if someone used it and can tell me whether it's trustworthy or not.

Firstable FB is overrated with ppl posting what they do and why should I care? I'd rather see something interesting and thats leads me to my second point.

Google+ has that. I can just add YT's G+ page and have me notified when a new video is posted by that particular YT account. G+ is flooded with cool things I'd actually care and read about and useful.

I only use FB for work related stuff and messenger aspect of it and that's it.

Oh that note, If I ever wants to talk to friends, I'd go see them in person and talk to them lol Unless they lives in different region/country.

If they have rainbow avatar, good for them... FB now is just a massive hype train, maybe not now but 5 - 8 yrs, FB will just slowly fading away IMO...

My thoughts exactly.

People that usually dislike FB are getting to old for hashtags/trends/online activity... it's not Facebook's fault.

It's all because hype train... and because they hides behind a PC (not saying this is a bad thing for this type of hype train), but in real world they don't feel comfortable doing this anymore

The key, for me anyway, to facebook is to not absorb yourself into the constant comparison with all your "friends". People get stressed, worked up, angry, annoyed, anxious, depressed, and god knows what else because of an overdose of information.

This. I have a FB account with only 50 friends (only people I know IRL), and I've unfollowed most of them cause their posts annoy me. So it's mainly chat for me, and that's ok. I've been tempted to delete the account but most people don't get onto skype so I need a way to talk to them over the internet.

I freaking hate political posts and the rainbow avatars too!! I'm sorry if it's wrong but... I'm just a guy :rolleyes:

• Like 2

So much drama. I thought we had gone through this phase of rage quitting Facebook years ago.

Just because you don't use Facebook you don't need to insult everyone who does. Just makes you look like a bit of a bellend really.

Boom. Hit the nail on the head.

<snip>

I freaking hate political posts and the rainbow avatars too!! I'm sorry if it's wrong but... I'm just a guy :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's just females and gays who do that rainbow photo thing.

I'm pro civil rights and I don't use the rainbow avatar filter. Everyone on Facebook knows I support civil rights. I've never flown a political flag on my profile picture or cover/hero image. They both represent me and my life, though I have used artwork I've found online as well. In fact, I made a very clear post stating my support for civil rights, and, using the extension Social Fixer, watched half a dozen people un-friend me within the hour, including someone who changed their profile pic to the blue square with the yellow equals, and has done the rainbow filter, not because they support civil rights... but because it's trendy, and I don't think they want it to get out how much they hate minorities.

Sadly though, the political stuff is a way of life now; you have to understand it, even if you don't like it, and especially if you want to try to change it. You've probably seen this video clip, possibly even on Facebook. It's a ten minute scene craftily edited down to three and a half minutes, in which Jeff Daniels, as a news anchor, explains in mathematical detail why America is not the greatest country in the world. It's from the opening of The Newsroom, an HBO series about a fictional news agency that tries to get it right and separate the fiction from the facts. Essentially, the opposite of what Fox News does. Anyway, the relevant bit is when Daniels' character is reminiscing on how great America used to be. "We didn't identify ourselves by who we voted for in the last election, and we didn't... *sigh* We didn't scare so easy." Great series, watch at least the first season if at all possible. The other two, they're just good. He later says, "The first step in solving any problem is realizing there is one," though he's surely not the first to say that. And the problem is that politics have divided us, and brands too. Sports teams even. I remember during the Super Bowl I was rooting for both sides. I dismissed "Deflategate" as irrelevant and just rooted for a great game, something to pass the time. I recognized good plays by both teams. In the end I got what I wanted. A good game. Anyway, the problem is not with Facebook but with human nature. Facebook just allows us to bare ourselves to the world more easily. Other social networks people use would be the same. See also, Twitter and Reddit.