Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition announced

Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition announced

Beta begins soon

Microsoft has announced Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition, the next version of Mojang

We've been talking about this in the IRC channel, my stance is that Mojang/Microsoft should make this new (presumably) C# client the default, and unify the console and desktop releases into a single version.

Java by itself isn't bad, but Oracle have no idea how to manage it (And platforms like OS X have a odd Java setup) which makes the future of the platform unclear. Microsoft aren't much better with .NET, but so much of their stuff uses it now that it's unlikely they'll kill it off in the next release :laugh:

We've been talking about this in the IRC channel, my stance is that Mojang/Microsoft should make this new (presumably) C# client the default, and unify the console and desktop releases into a single version.

Er.. no I don't think so. That's a horrible idea.

Java by itself isn't bad, but Oracle have no idea how to manage it (And platforms like OS X have a odd Java setup) which makes the future of the platform unclear. Microsoft aren't much better with .NET, but so much of their stuff uses it now that it's unlikely they'll kill it off in the next release :laugh:

The open source implementations are just fine. Running OpenJDK/GCJ (dev) here. This is a fully open sourced platform running under a GPL licence, unlike c#/.net. And I certainly wouldn't trust Microsoft as far as I can throw them. It's true Oracle are a bunch of twats as well, but they're still better than Microsoft by a mile.

And switch to JavaScript for modding!

Standard .NET APIs, target it with anything that targets .NET

Er.. no I don't think so. That's a horrible idea.

Nah, it's great.

The open source implementations are just fine. Running OpenJDK/GCJ (dev) here. This is a fully open sourced platform running under a GPL licence, unlike c#/.net. And I certainly wouldn't trust Microsoft as far as I can throw them. It's true Oracle are a bunch of twats as well, but they're still better than Microsoft by a mile.

Being open source doesn't make it good, Oracle lagged behind with Java 8 deployment for ages, and still haven't provided a proper Java setup for OS X (Apple deprecated their Java version years ago with the goal of Oracle taking over, still took them ages)

Coming soon to a Minecraft village near you: flat and ugly buildings are the new victorian.

Just beat me to posting that :o

Not impressed that its a pocket edition port :( was hoping for the version that comes with its own java that was tweeted about so I never need to install it ever again. D:

The current PC version already brings its own Java RE when you install it.

The Win10 edition is programmed in C++, using DX11 for the graphics layer. Bring it to feature parity with the PC version and this will be the version you want. Did you see how well it performs on the Surface Guude is using in the video?

Half way through it.

Looks smooth, hopefully some of the better PC mods can get ported over. :p

It's probably because of the camera overexposure but I thought it looked like there was some sort of shader support?  The game definitely looks faster/smoother though and that's a Surface Tablet.

Just beat me to posting that :o

Not impressed that its a pocket edition port :( was hoping for the version that comes with its own java that was tweeted about so I never need to install it ever again. D:

They did that already. There is an installer version for Windows on Mojang's download page that creates a local Java VM just for the game.

And switch to JavaScript for modding!

Why would you even mention that disaster of a language for a computer game modding?

They did that already. There is an installer version for Windows on Mojang's download page that creates a local Java VM just for the game.

I burnt out on MC so I hadn't re-downloaded on w10, last I saw was a tweet talking about it.

More I hear about it from the panels the more I realise this isn't a competitor to the main game, this is the Windows tablet version. :(

So C++ or C++/CLI - because there is a massive difference in ease of modding.

It's probably because of the camera overexposure but I thought it looked like there was some sort of shader support?  The game definitely looks faster/smoother though and that's a Surface Tablet.

The Java version already comes with shaders, they moved away from the fixed function pipeline in OpenGL a while ago.

According the Oracle's lawsuit against Google concerning Android just using the Java system APIs (exact names of types, methods, classes, etc), even if your implementation of those APIs is entirely different is a violation.  That would make all the open source implementations illegal as well.  Despite how stupid I think this claim may be personally (and the fact it pretty much negates the purpose of an API in the first place) Oracle is currently winning this argument in court.  Furthermore there is ZERO chance MS would use anything with a copyleft license like the GPL.  They open source things but never with a copyleft license.

The parts of .Net that are not free to use are almost entirely windows specific anyway. (Namespaces related to Windows OS functionality, etc.)

The core parts you'd use with something like a .Net Minecraft are all open.

• 4 weeks later...

Why would you even mention that disaster of a language for a computer game modding?

Disaster of a language? While I agree that it is far from optimal for computer game modding it is far from a disaster of a programming language... some of the most sophisticated & efficient SaS builds and primarily JavaScript  based...

Edited by Andrew