Man mocks alligators, jumps in water and is killed in Texas

(CNN)A man who apparently mocked alligators, then jumped in the water -- despite warning signs -- is dead after being attacked in Texas.

Orange County Police were called to Burkart's Marina near the Louisiana state line early Friday morning after reports that Tommie Woodward, 28, and an unidentified woman were swimming in a bayou and had been attacked by a large alligator.

Woodward's body was found several hours later. The woman was not injured.

Orange County Justice of the Peace Rodney Price told CNN affiliate KFDM that Woodward ignored verbal warnings and a posted "No Swimming Alligators" sign and seemed to mock the deadly creatures before going in the water.

"He removed his shirt, removed his billfold ... someone shouted a warning and he said 'blank the alligators' and jumped in to the water and almost immediately yelled for help," Price said.

The "No Swimming Alligators" sign was posted this week after a 10-foot alligator was spotted in the bayou waters.

More at CNN.

Darwin winner?

• Like 2

So look, here's a thing.  I know plenty of idiots around here who, if they were going to jump in and someone said "Hey, alligators in there, don't jump in" would do exactly the same - with intent to do as they pleased and see any advice-giver as someone to defy.  This idea of being defiant and getting your own way seems to be pervasive, and moreover based upon an idea that there's never any repercussions.

• Like 1

Hopefully yet another animal won't be killed for being an animal and confronting human stupidity.

Yea, what worries me is in this article:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3148522/Man-killed-Texas-alligator-attack-late-night-swim.html

It says:

Authorities are not hunting the alligator but a private effort may be launched to capture it, he said.

This is the first fatal encounter with an alligator that Enmon can recall in his 25 years in law enforcement.

CJDyM84WcAAx_wN.jpg

The importance of punctuation! Perhaps he thought the alligators couldn't swim, so no danger :o

Yes this is the sign at the location.

Right... or draw a line across between swimming and alligators.  If I make a sign, I'd make a sign like this:

NO

SWIMMING

------------------------------

WATCH OUT

FOR

ALLIGATORS

Which is more clearly understandable.

:rolleyes:

So if the Alligators weren't swimming, what were they doing?

Eating people...clearly.

• Like 3

Some of these replies are killing me...got some good laughs! 

At least it was't the alligators. om nom nom nom

• Like 1

I think animal welfare should sue the estate for cruelly subjecting the crocodile to an unhealthy high fat diet

• Like 2

Oh thank god.

/me stops watching the skies.

That's actually a really good idea for a movie.

Tornadalligator: A freak tornado picks up hundreds of alligators ....  :D

Robnett told KTRK that he killed the deadly creature to protect his family and others who walk and swim near the bayou, which is near the Louisiana state line.

"I have a 1-year-old, a 3-year-old and a 14-year-old who swim out here," he told the affiliate. "He was just too big."

I think he'll find it wasn't too big, it's a wild animal in it's natural habitat doing what comes naturally to it. Allowing your kids to swim there is just crazy.