[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10240) discussion & upgrade experience

I just upgraded using the ISO. It didn't ask for a key, but quite a few drivers are messed up.

I'm going to try a clean install now. Let's hope it keeps the activation!

So I reserved windows 10 in the 8.1 app. 

It still shows the same information it's showed for over a month.

The folder was made with the windows 10 stuff. However, no new information to upgrade. 

It seems like there is a lot of different answers out there.

If I use the media creation thing for Windows 10 core (I have 8.1 core) can I upgrade with that and convert the license then do a clean install?

People say yes. Others say no, I have to wait for windows update to ask to install it.

Windows 8 came on my PC so my key is in the bios.

Funny thing is if I do slmgr /dlv on the laptop, and on the other system I updated to Windows 10 they both have the same key, the V366T one, yet if I do slmgr.vbs /ato on the laptop it tells me that the key is blocked, if thats the case why is the other PC fine, this new system from MS is very confusing

Funny thing is if I do slmgr /dlv on the laptop, and on the other system I updated to Windows 10 they both have the same key, the V366T one, yet if I do slmgr.vbs /ato on the laptop it tells me that the key is blocked, if thats the case why is the other PC fine, this new system from MS is very confusing

Maybe that's the plan?  Keep'em guessing so they'll never find a way to bypass the activation system.  :p

three machines in my house were good to go when i got up this morning (BST 06:00) but my main work machine has nada ready. Even the little flag icon in the tray has gone. Booo, that's the one i want to update the most! Sods law, haha!

how did you recover from the failed update thing?

You don't recover from it, i clicked on the windows icon in the task bar and it asked me if I wanted to install windows 10.  

Doing data backups, waiting for my SSD to arrive in the mail, then doing a reinstall. Hopefully, I'll be done by tonight. Most likely tomorrow morning. :rofl:

Upgraded a win7 VM from the ISO downloaded there. No problem; Win10 fully activated.

Nice! I also have win7 in VM. When it's upgraded, you would install win10 with that win7 key, right?

Nice! I also have win7 in VM. When it's upgraded, you would install win10 with that win7 key, right?

some of the Microsoft accounts say to skip entering the key.  After doing an upgrade, do a clean install and skip entering the key.  I'm on mobile so I don't have that link with me. 

Update: The upgrade using the ISO worked and activated fine. Trying a clean install once I've put a little juice back in my tablet.

Why not just use the reset option in recovery?

After the download completes, how long should it sit on "Preparing for installation..."?

Both of my machines are on this screen now and the laptop has been like this for about an hour with not much in the way of disk or progress bar activity.

After the download completes, how long should it sit on "Preparing for installation..."?

Both of my machines are on this screen now and the laptop has been like this for about an hour with not much in the way of disk or progress bar activity.

The installation takes a long time, not sure how long I got bored and went to bed and let it finish on its own, then after it installed it took a long time to set up the desktop and such. 

I guess it must be doing something. On Win7 it's easier to see the progress as there's a Windows Update icon in the systray with a percentage which just went from 23% to 24%.

The lack of this in 8.1 was throwing me off.

Are you using a PIN to log in? If so try logging in with your password.

I tried both ways. 

Microsoft has changed login again

If the name of your nas server is chintu

your username is admin

password is password

then in login details, enter username as chintu/admin

password as password

I did manage to get Network drives working...

I am running on Win 10 Pro, so I had to turn on Homegroup sharing to start allowing it to see other network devices.  It immediately starting letting me see my DLNA Devices as well as my NAS server, so I was able to map it after that.

I do NOT like the new Dark colors it chooses for everything when picking backgrounds...... the new start menu leaves much more room for improvement as well....

I never got my serial key in my email. I dunno how to upgrade from here :(

There isn't one if you upgrade. Use your Windows 7/8/8.1 key or just let it detect it during the upgrade.

There isn't one if you upgrade. Use your Windows 7/8/8.1 key or just let it detect it during the upgrade.

I wanted to do a clean install. My 120GB SSD is full already. :(

I wanted to do a clean install. My 120GB SSD is full already. :(

Use Microsoft's KMS key associated with your edition. (when prompted during the process of re-formatting)