[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10240) discussion & upgrade experience

I was able to upgrade my laptop fine from Windows 8.1, but on my desktop, I'm also seeing the errors with activation. Hopefully it is just a case of everyone trying to upgrade today, and the servers are totally hammered. Fingers crossed it will be working tomorrow! 

activation.png

Well I'm activated now thanks to the "Contact Support" app, online chat with a nice chap called "Girish S - Microsoft Answer Tech", got me to install the Microsoft Support app which let him take over (I work in IT support so it was weird to be on the other side), for some reason there were a few services which weren't running as they should be, so he fixed those, ran a command in the command window (Can't remember exactly what is was but it was netsh something restart), he rebooted the PC after it confirmed I would allow him, the contact app came straight back up after restart, he reconnected quickly and Windows was activated.

He told me something weird though, I'm in the UK but the speech pack was showing US so Cortana wasn't working (I've since added the UK English speech packs and will restart to see if it fixes it), he said that was by design and that the UK isn't supported for Cortana yet, I told him I'd been using it all through insider builds but he was insistant.....weird.

Here's some of our chat (I've changed my name in it :p )...

Agent Photo

Girish S

Microsoft Answer Tech

PsYcHoKiLLa, Can you  that the Windows is Activated???
20:22 
---------------
yeah, great thanks. what was wrong?
20:23 
---------------
Don't disconnect the chat now okay?
---------------
I have another problem too with Cortana I think
---------------
Started with some services. And tried to activate.

It worked.

Yes, what is the issue PsYcHoKiLLa?
---------------
i have English UK language installed but the speech language pack didn't install for some reason

so it won't let me use cortana
20:24

for some reason it's installed the US speech pack but the UK language pack, not sure why
20:24

and the language packs that were in the temp folder are gone now
20:25
---------------
I am afraid to tell you this PsYcHoKiLLa, that Cortana is only available in the US region.

It will be soon activated for Uk.
---------------
no, i was using it in the UK during the insider preview builds
20:26

for RTM you mean?
---------------
You have to wait for that.

It must be the reason.
---------------
is there any ETA on when it will be available?

I presume if I changed all my language options to be US then it would let me use it but probably wouldn't work great then?
20:27
---------------
No idea PsYcHoKiLLa, however you will notified early when the Cortana will be available for your region.
20:27

Yes, however you cannot use all the features for Cortana if you change the language to US.
20:28
---------------  
ok, i'm guessing any further features will be rolled out in the coming weeks?
20:28
---------------
Yes, that is the issue, its not yet available for the UK region. The language packs will be there available however you cannot access them.
20:29
---------------
i have one last question, sorry, When I had Windows 8/8.1 I bought the media center pack, I know media center is gone now in Windows 10 but I read that there will be a dvd player being released soon, do you know how I'll be able to get it, would I need to use my serial here?
20:30
---------------
Yes PsYcHoKiLLa, and you will be notified.

I am afraid that I am a technical support and I don't have any updates for that yet.

---------------
I ordered this for all 3 computers also
---------------
As soon it will get released I will be trained on that and can give you the resolution.
20:31
---------------  
ok, no problem, I guess I should just watch the usual information channels? I've got Gabriel Aul on twitter and keep an eye on his info

well, thanks so much for getting me activated in any case, have a good day/night ;)

---------------
That's great!! 
You may receive an email as a notification as you are an insider :)
20:32
---------------
this is true :)

---------------
Can I close this case with your permission?<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thank you.
--------------- 

certainly and many thanks !

---------------
It was my pleasure, PsYcHoKiLLa.

Thank you for choosing Microsoft, have a good night, PsYcHoKiLLa!
And Happy Windows 10 :)
20:33

Activate.png

WOW the windows 10 upgrade takes a long time on a spinning drive. I'm upgrading a customers computer. I've never installed Windows 10 on a spinning drive before. All the installs and upgrades have been on SSD's which usually took about 20 mins.

Yep, I noticed this as well.  My work machine has a mechanical drive and it took FOR...E...V....E....R!!

I was able to upgrade my laptop fine from Windows 8.1, but on my desktop, I'm also seeing the errors with activation. Hopefully it is just a case of everyone trying to upgrade today, and the servers are totally hammered. Fingers crossed it will be working tomorrow! 

activation.png

That's the exact same error I had, try using the "Contact Support" app and chat, you might get my helpful agent, got me activated :)

Well, it seems "Girish S" was right, even after installing all the speech and language packs for the UK, I'm getting this and it won't enable...

No_Cortana.png

A little annoying since I've been using it in the UK all along as an Insider and also did using the RTM build we got.

I would have thought there would have been a massive day-1 update for all the built in apps, but I guess I'm wrong. These apps all still. Suck. It's painfully embarrassing how featureless, and bland looking they are.

Yep, I noticed this as well.  My work machine has a mechanical drive and it took FOR...E...V....E....R!!

Need to get an M.2 drive :) I was done in 4 minutes

LOL ... the entire upgrade? DAAAAAMN.

Bar the activation cos...well...you know....Windows :p

OK, This is less nice....

Agent Photo

Rohith M

Microsoft Answer Tech
-----------------------------------------

Hi, thanks for visiting Answer Desk! I'm Rohith M.
21:24
hi rohith
21:24

Thank you for contacting Microsoft
21:25

Hi PsYcHoKiLLa.
21:25

How are you doing, today?
21:26

not bad but could be better with my problem ;)
21:26

Yes, I will  do my best to solve your problem.
21:27

Is the issue with Windows or Office?

Windows 10

I don't think my Windows 10 upgrade has completed properly, I upgraded from Windows 8.1 but couldn't get activated properly, I contacted Girish S under case number 1298119949, he managed to get me activated but I wanted to check my license number in case I need to re-install Windows 10 so I used a keyfinder but it's showing the generic Windows 10 key which has been available for Insiders although I upgraded from a legit Windows 8.1 activated install
21:28

the one ending 3V66T
21:28

so I don't think my upgrade has completed properly, not sure if it will stay activated in that case
21:29

I understand that you want to have the license key for your Windows 10 on your computer.
21:29

I have been an insider since November but I wanted to upgrade my legitimate Windows 8 key to Windows 10 (via Windows 8.1 of course) so I can keep this after the 1 yr offer
21:30

yeah, basically

Please allow me 1-2 minutes while check for you.

I reinstalled Windows 8/Windows 8.1 two days ago, updated and enrolled for the upgrade, it completed today but I had the activation problem above

Thank you for your patience. PsYcHoKiLLa.
21:33

no problem

May I know what is the error you are getting when trying to activate?

well, that's sorted now by your colleague, I'm trying to find out what my new serial key is so I can keep a note of it in case I need to re-install Windows 10 but the key is showing as a generic one, is this normal?
21:34

CD Key: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

which I know is just a generic one that has been available for a few weeks now

Alright. Not to worry about the serial key.
21:35

I know I can use the reset function in Windows 10 to go back to a default state but it's just in case I have a drive failure or something
21:36

PsYcHoKiLLa, as you have upgraded it to Windows 10 it will not ask you for the product key if you re-install.
21:36

If it is the same computer.
21:37

so if I download a UK ISO from here 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

It won't ask for a serial?
21:37

so I take it my e-mail I'm logged in with is now basically my "serial" ?
21:38

Yes, if you upgrade from the computer it will not ask you for the product or the serial key.

But if you do a clean installation, then it will ask for the product key.

Then you will have to purchase a new product key for windows 10.

so, if I have a drive failure and need to replace it, then install Windows 10 I have to buy a new copy?
21:39

on the same PC I mean
21:40

Yes, if you are doing a clean installation, you have to purchase the new copy.
21:40

hmmm...that's worrying, not such a great offer when I see that, well thanks for your help anyway
21:41

Not to worry, the windows 10 is equipped with advanced drivers and you will have the drivers issue.
21:41

It's my pleasure to assist you today.
21:42

So, If you need to do an install from scratch because of say a drive failure or you buy a nice shiny new SSD instead of the normal drive you had it installed on, neither of which is a wild scenario, you need to buy a full copy, unless you use the upgrade path again, that's a bit of a pain.

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

That's the exact same error I had, try using the "Contact Support" app and chat, you might get my helpful agent, got me activated :)

Thanks! After waiting a hour or so, and a couple of reboots from installing drivers etc. it did decide to automatically activate. :) 

Thanks! After waiting a hour or so, and a couple of reboots from installing drivers etc. it did decide to automatically activate. :) 

Looks like someone mashed on the post button :laugh:

• Like 1

It's my understanding that the upgrade offer is tied to your motherboard, so as long as you're using the same motherboard it will activate automatically even after a clean install on a replaced drive. My guess would simply be that their activation servers are being swamped by the amount of people installing the OS.

what's the url to download the en-uk version of the installer, like this one

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

but for en-uk not us, changing us to uk doesn't work. since all my windows 8 installed insisted on only downloading en-uk back when I installed english language windows 8 I can't ugprade to 10 without wiping with the en-us installer. 

never mind, en-gb

Windows Dvd player app not showing on my Windows 10 Pro build, had Windows 8.1 with media Center previously, what do I do?  all Windows updates installed

It's my understanding that the upgrade offer is tied to your motherboard, so as long as you're using the same motherboard it will activate automatically even after a clean install on a replaced drive. My guess would simply be that their activation servers are being swamped by the amount of people installing the OS.

Not here it isnt, I updated laptop to Windows 10, that went fine and was automatically activated, tried to do a refresh so I could have a clean system to image, I got an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error, so that didn't complete, and when I did a clean install, I couldn't activate it, going by PsYcHoKiLLa's post above a clean install is not possible, if what that MS tech person said is correct

Ended up just doing a fresh restore through the settings on my ASUS X205TA. Then, used the ISO download manager from MS site and upgraded to Win10. Definitely different, don't know if I like it or not yet. 

Windows Dvd player app not showing on my Windows 10 Pro build, had Windows 8.1 with media Center previously, what do I do?  all Windows updates installed

That's not been released yet, it's going to be released in a few weeks apparently.

Another weird thing happened earlier (seems to be the day for it). When updating apps from the Store I got an alert saying that I'd reached my device limit for Store installs. But I only have 3 devices...

Wow the update process is a mess.

I've lost the GWX icon now for no reason and I don't know if my update is still reserved or if i'm in a queue or anything. Not feedback at all.

Used the media creation tool,  upgraded quickly.  Says window isn't activated.  I upgraded from 8.1 that came with my PC.  

I used a key finder, it lists my 8.1 key.   Going to Control panel, system:

Your product key info:
Current product key ends in 8HVX7,  THIS IS NOT MY KEY. 

SUPER.