[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10240) discussion & upgrade experience

Your product key info:
Current product key ends in 8HVX7,  THIS IS NOT MY KEY. 

SUPER.

This is the generic key for WIndows 10 Home. I got the same one too. Seems the BIOS key isn't used after all.

This is the generic key for WIndows 10 Home. I got the same one too. Seems the BIOS key isn't used after all.

I just did the command trick, it says it is now activated. 

Still showing my windows 8 key when using key finder.  No way to check what windows 10 actually used.

Used the media creation tool,  upgraded quickly.  Says window isn't activated.  I upgraded from 8.1 that came with my PC.  

I used a key finder, it lists my 8.1 key.   Going to Control panel, system:

Your product key info:

SUPER.

I did it here and tried afterwards to do a clean install, but it wouldn't activate.

You have to install 8.1 back, update though Windows Update and THEN activate your Windows 10 copy.

I KNOOOW... a mess, right?

I just did the command trick, it says it is now activated. 

Which one is this? slmgr with upk, ipk and ato? I tried that earlier but it made no difference. The key was rejected when I ran the last command. Maybe it's working again now?

I did it here and tried afterwards to do a clean install, but it wouldn't activate.

You have to install 8.1 back, update though Windows Update and THEN activate your Windows 10 copy.

I KNOOOW... a mess, right?

I just did the command trick, it activated, there is no way in hell I was rolling back.  I couldn't get it to work through windows update.  I haven't done a fresh install yet, so I don't know what will happen then. 

Which one is this? slmgr with upk, ipk and ato? I tried that earlier but it made no difference. The key was rejected when I ran the last command. Maybe it's working again now?

ATO. I pressed enter, nothing happened,  30 seconds later and window popped up saying activated.  I just checked again from the control panel/settings, and it says activated,  earlier it said it wasn't.

Wow the update process is a mess.

I've lost the GWX icon now for no reason and I don't know if my update is still reserved or if i'm in a queue or anything. Not feedback at all.

The program is in "C:\Windows\system32\GWX", see if that's still there, you can just run "GWX.exe" inside there and it should show the icon again.

Used the media creation tool,  upgraded quickly.  Says window isn't activated.  I upgraded from 8.1 that came with my PC.  

I used a key finder, it lists my 8.1 key.   Going to Control panel, system:

Your product key info:

SUPER.

http://winaero.com/blog/generic-key-to-install-windows/

Doesn't seem to be listed there, it should be unique in that case.

The program is in "C:\Windows\system32\GWX", see if that's still there, you can just run "GWX.exe" inside there and it should show the icon again.

Still there but nothing happen when I run it even with admin priv.

Still there but nothing happen when I run it even with admin priv.

Did you check task manager to see if it's definitely running? If it's listed, maybe try killing the process and re-launch it?

http://winaero.com/blog/generic-key-to-install-windows/

Doesn't seem to be listed there, it should be unique in that case.

If it's unique, how can I view it fully?

Nevermind,  just used another, and it shows my 8.1 key AND Windows 10

is the new photos app extremely unstable for anyone else? Almost every time I double click on any image the photos app opens and instantly closes.

I'm very disappointed in win10 so far, I've found it to be the buggiest OS ms has released in many years, there's an appalling amount of obvious bugs and the UI is all over the place :/

My HP Stream notebook finally updated to Windows 10, and now my trackpad is broken. I don't even have a mouse cursor. I slogged my way to the device manager and it is filled with "unknown device" entries. Ran Windows Update and it downloaded a few updates and drivers but nothing to fix my trackpad. Certainly not getting off to a good start.

So, 10 bucks a year for Solitaire (to remove ads)

You can make the ads go away, but, as you may have guessed, it'll cost you, and not just once: The Microsoft Solitaire Collection Premium Edition is effectively a subscription service that goes for $1.50 a month, or $10 for a year. The Premium version of the game does away with ads, and also offers more coins for completing "Daily Challenges," and a boost when you play TriPeaks or Pyramid

The ads in question aren't small banners that appear at the bottom of the screen while you play. They run over the full Solitaire window, some for 15 seconds and some for 30 seconds, and while they don't seem to pop up very often—in our quick and entirely unscientific testing, Wes was able to jump around in menus about 20 times and started a half-dozen games between them—they can't be aborted. 

Windows 10 itself is free, so complaining too much about this might seem ungracious. But I think that perhaps what we're getting here is a flash of insight into exactly why it's free. Fair trade

Source

Just wondering how long before Microsoft starts nickeling-and-diming us? 

Why are the icons in the taskbar so incredibly tiny? With the small icons turned OFF, they're about 75% smaller than they were in Win8.1. With the small icons turned ON, they are too small to see properly.

Is there a fix for this?

My HP Stream notebook finally updated to Windows 10, and now my trackpad is broken. I don't even have a mouse cursor. I slogged my way to the device manager and it is filled with "unknown device" entries. Ran Windows Update and it downloaded a few updates and drivers but nothing to fix my trackpad. Certainly not getting off to a good start.

Check the webpage of the touchpad maker. In your case it is probably Synaptics. Win 10 has a broad assortment of Synaptics drivers via WU.. maybe your device is too new.  

Updated to Windows 10 successfully after trying to trigger the update manually through Windows Update (which kept failing).  Finally got it after using the installer.  Of course now it won't activate.  

Check the webpage of the touchpad maker. In your case it is probably Synaptics. Win 10 has a broad assortment of Synaptics drivers via WU.. maybe your device is too new.  

I went to HPs support site and let it scan my computer, it found a bunch of drivers (several updated today). Turns out the one I needed for my trackpad to work was the "Intel Serial IO Driver". I'm just surprised something so basic didn't work out of the box, especially since everything was working in Windows 8.1 which I just upgraded from. Anyway it seems to be sorted now, thanks. :)

is the new photos app extremely unstable for anyone else? Almost every time I double click on any image the photos app opens and instantly closes.

I'm very disappointed in win10 so far, I've found it to be the buggiest OS ms has released in many years, there's an appalling amount of obvious bugs and the UI is all over the place :/

Interestingly enough I have had this happen on a local test account today. My MSA account was not affected by this issue.

The App would start and instantly shutdown. I have seen this type of bug with other apps before so I was not surprised. I restored the old win32 app.

These type of XAML bugs seem to be the biggest problem in Windows 10 right now. It generally doesn't feel as solid as win32 and might need another year for MS to fix up.

Not everyone needs XAML apps .. however I have seen integral parts of the system like the login XAML app also suffer from bugs (Still not patched).

Interestingly enough I have had this happen on a local test account today. My MSA account was not affected by this issue.

The App would start and instantly shutdown. I have seen this type of bug with other apps before so I was not surprised. I restored the old win32 app.

These type of XAML bugs seem to be the biggest problem in Windows 10 right now. It generally doesn't feel as solid as win32 and might need another year for MS to fix up.

Not everyone needs XAML apps .. however I have seen integral parts of the system like the login XAML app also suffer from bugs (Still not patched).

yeah thankfully so far photos is the only app that's been crashing like that for me. The mail app has been working well so far. I just checked the reviews of the photos app on the windows store and see many complaints about crashes there too.

I was definitely glad to see that the old windows photo viewer app was still there, that works like a charm like always.

Can anyone list all new 'meto style apps' that Windows installs by default? And how to get rid / uninstall them?

So far I see:

1. 3D Builder
  2. Alarms & Clock
  3. Calendar
  4. Camera
  5. Contact Support
  6. Get Started
  7. Mail
  8. Maps
  9. Microsoft Solitaire
  10. Movies & TV
  11. Music
  12. People
  13. Photos
  14. Xbox

Upgraded from 7 to 10 flawlessly. I have one more computer to do today (or whenever it's available), but this one went so well I feel pretty confident that it will go just as smoothly.