[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10240) discussion & upgrade experience

So my windows 10 home key ends exactly like a friends who updated too. 

Is is everyone getting the same keys.  Both his and mine were upgraded to windows 10 home. 

Is is everyone getting the same keys.  Both his and mine were upgraded to windows 10 home. 

They key is now linked to your computer, reinstall Windows on the same computer and it will activate automatically. Why would you need a license key then?

They key is now linked to your computer, reinstall Windows on the same computer and it will activate automatically. Why would you need a license key then?

just making sure.  

To add, I noticed how slim (space wise) Windows 10 installation is, for an upgrade from Windows 8.1. I always do a fresh install when a new Windows comes out, but I guess I will skip that part this time, pretty comfortable with how snappy everything is and is using far less data.

A lot of people may want to have a look at this, maybe a good idea to feature it on the front page, credits go to Hexus.net and Callum (aka Rehok), my annoying neighbour in work :)

http://hexus.net/tech/features/software/85085-how-clean-install-windows-10-usb-drive/

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Updated my desktop today. Used Disk Cleanup first to get rid of the downloaded update files seeing as the WU upgrade method was still failing. Then upgraded from iso. Everything went smooth and Windows was preactivated on boot. As this is my daily driver I'll be finding all sorts of things to try and comes to terms with as time goes on but so far nothing has broken.

I wanted to try the Game DVR but I guess not all games support it (or the shortcut key to activate it ingame).

If the install/upgrade is failing from WU it's probably because the servers are loaded and so on, grab the ISO and upgrade that way.  Once you upgrade and you activate, you can then do a clean install with the ISO again.   You just have to do the upgrade first and have it activate that way, the "key" or in this case the license with 10 is handled differently than in the past.   There's no key, per se, there's some hardware identifier that's tied to your MSA from what I've read.

I still have the Technical Preview Build 10204 from last week, The "Released" build is also 10204 but i still have the yellow "send a smile" feedback icon in IE11 amongst other feedback items, Does yesterdays release have this also ?
Thanks.

Does anyone know how to increase the icon size in the taskbar? It's driving me mad, there are too small for me now.

Edit: I do not have the 'use small icons' checked in the taskbar options.

Does anyone know if or what $Windows.~ WS is and if it can be deleted (along with windows.old) after a successful upgrade from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro. I got tired of waiting for my reserved upgrade and after windows update showing 40 failed upgrade attempts to Win 10 Pro I used the media creation tool and did an upgrade from within Win 8.1

Thanks

if I update a motherboard bios from legacy to uefi. will windows 10 lose it activation?

Very good question. I'm sure both the legacy bios and UEFI share the same motherboard ID.

I'm in the Insider program and I built a custom PC and I don't have a W7 or W8/8.1 license at the moment. Right now I'm on the latest build and everything is good, but If I download the ISO and perform a clean install, will my copy of Windows be activated? Does it requires my MS account to activate it?

Very good question. I'm sure both the legacy bios and UEFI share the same motherboard ID.

It will stay activated, if you turn on legacy mode you will add support for booting from non uefi devices or (windows, linux etc) installs but it won't disable uefi itself for current and new windows 8&10 installs.

Besides that, your activation is based on your hardware id which is generated from your bios serial number, videocard serialnumber and harddrive serial number.

For me this windows 10 launch is a disaster.

1 - My insider PC wont actvate even tho I am a tester yet other testers got it free.

2 - On both my win7 devices the win10 app stays frozen like this.

win10hurray-not.png

I have a problem with videos. No matter if it's online (Edge, Firefox, either Flash or HTML5) or local (any file, mp4, avi, mkv...) it's either a blank screen or a green screen. A restart sometimes helps. Any recommendations? I think it worked alright a few weeks ago in an earlier Preview build :(

My PC config: i5 2500K, 12 GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 290, ASRock Z77 Pro3.

Does anyone know if or what $Windows.~ WS is and if it can be deleted (along with windows.old) after a successful upgrade from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro. I got tired of waiting for my reserved upgrade and after windows update showing 40 failed upgrade attempts to Win 10 Pro I used the media creation tool and did an upgrade from within Win 8.1

Thanks

Windows.old can be deleted if your upgrade has no issues, not sure about the other one.

I have a problem with videos. No matter if it's online (Edge, Firefox, either Flash or HTML5) or local (any file, mp4, avi, mkv...) it's either a blank screen or a green screen. A restart sometimes helps. Any recommendations? I think it worked alright a few weeks ago in an earlier Preview build :(

My PC config: i5 2500K, 12 GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 290, ASRock Z77 Pro3.

If it's any video file on the web or local then I'm betting it's video driver issues of some kind.  Maybe you can try uninstall and reinstalling them if a newer version isn't out yet.

For me this windows 10 launch is a disaster.

1 - My insider PC wont actvate even tho I am a tester yet other testers got it free.

2 - On both my win7 devices the win10 app stays frozen like this.

win10hurray-not.png

If the app stays like that then I think it's some piece of hardware or software it's trying to check for compatibility that's freezing the process itself, when you run the app it does this scan and gives you a log of things that don't work or might not work on Windows 10.

Some of these don't actually work? The packages still remain in that list?

EDIT: Never mind, they are actually built-in, and it doesn't matter if you remove them, in a way, you are only hiding them. "Good job, Microsoft". Sigh.

Just take ownership of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps and delete those packages yourself... I did it back in Windows 8.1.

If the app stays like that then I think it's some piece of hardware or software it's trying to check for compatibility that's freezing the process itself, when you run the app it does this scan and gives you a log of things that don't work or might not work on Windows 10.

Sounds plausible, but for all the issues I am having so far I am not likely to go ok I will bypass it and install win10 from an ISO.  For me there is just too many issues currently, also considering that on my win10 insider pc when I installed I was forced to hard reset to finish the installation because on the install process it had the same type of freeze on a wait a moment screen.

It seems microsoft have managed to break their hardware scanning processes which were previously quite reliable on windows seven.

Of course also the fact my insider pc just lost its activation for some unknown reason without a documented way of reactivating it, what happens when that happens to a production machine?

Got into a spat on Twitter with an actual Microsoft employee who actually thinks Windows 10 is a free product... I think they've let their marketing go to their head.