The Windows 10 Tablet Experience

As many of you know, Windows 10 is approaching RTM as more builds start to roll out. One thing I haven't seen much coverage is how Windows 10 is currently on tablets. I have seen people talk about how Windows 10 is awful on tablets and how Windows 8.1 was much better in this regards, but I have to disagree. After giving Windows 10 build 10162 on my Surface Pro 3, here are some of my thoughts. Before, when you open a desktop app, you were forced into a different environment, which I never quite got fully used to. With Windows 10, everything is on one environment where desktop apps could be used like tablet apps to some degree. Furthermore the taskbar actually made navigating Windows a lot easier. Before you had to use the left edge of the tablet to view apps. This was rather cumbersome because desktop apps didn't show up in this list. You can now have all apps show up in the taskbar or use task view to switch apps.

This video here pretty much sums up my current thoughts about Windows 10 on tablets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnd8XFRJqFw

• Like 5

i agree with the video. the tablet experience is excellent, and I love it. I actually enjoy the taskbar even though at first I thought I wouldn't. But after using it for awhile it feels natural.

• Like 2

There's only 2, maybe 3 things I'd toss in so everyone can be happy, 1 would be giving you a setting where the taskbar can autohide when in tablet mode only and be visible all the time in desktop mode, for those who want it that way.

2nd would be for the option to have a full screen all apps list like in 8.1, again, for those who want it that way.    Those two things don't have to be the default, but choice doesn't hurt in this case.

As for the 3rd thing, well, I think it'll be a bit harder to pull off but it could be nice, left align the task switcher UI when in tablet mode, it doesn't have to be like it was in 8.1 but just move them over to the left of the screen so you can hit them with your thumb and not have to take your hand off of the corners to select the app.   Having them in the center is fine for desktop, like it's always been.

• Like 3

Bit the bullet and upgraded my HP Stream 7 yesterday as i'd not had a real chance to play with 10 on a tablet.

First impressions are that it's much, much better and the whole thing feels more cohesive. I always found with 8, that it felt like they'd slapped a few touch gesture on to desktop mode and then smashed in a whole separate process for the use of apps. This meant that when ever for some odd reason i landed on the desktop, it felt like a mistake, or a novelty (awww look at the 'ikle desktop).

This seems largely solved in 10, and the desktop feels like you're meant to be there.

Scrolling up and down on the full start screen ######** all over horizontal scrolling of yesteryear, it's just much easier.

Notification centre is much more useful and the task switcher is a lot prettier and more useful than the old list down the side routine of before.

In general i'm impressed but i've only had a few hours of play so haven't found any areas it lacks in yet. I'll keep looking.

• Like 1

I'm sorry but the experience shown in the video is completely different to my own experience on a Lenovo Yoga 2 Tablet.

For the TL:DR crowd

W10 does include many decent improvements for tablet use but that video is clearly designed to make a point and is anything but a fair and balanced view of W10 on tablets. It uses maximum zoom on a big screen to make tablet mode seem great but the reality of using it on an 8" or 10" tablet with no scaling is that it is much less finger friendly than Windows 8. Furthermore, the philosophy of different modes for different devices is fundamentally flawed compared to Windows 8's approach, which matches the right UI - desktop or tablet (Metro) - to each application.

For everyone else

First of all, I'd point out that the video uses the latest build, which is barely a week old and contains significant improvements to the tablet experience, so what most of us have been complaining about has improved, at least to some extent. Sure, W10 is not all bad, there are some genuine improvements, but what that video shows is how little the guy who made it knows about how Windows works. e.g. He makes a big song and dance about how easy multi-tasking is on W10, however he clearly doesn't know how it works on Windows 8, so the comparison is completely invalid. He doesn't know (or deliberately doesn't show) that if you swipe in from the left edge slightly, then go back out, just a little wiggle of your thumb, it brings up the app switcher down the left side, like you get on the W8 desktop, which makes app switching easier on W8 than W10. In fact, you get the added advantage of still having the current app open and visible, ready to keep working.

Secondly, he is clearly working at 200% zoom, which gives his Surface 3 an effective screen resolution of just 960x640, making all his touch targets huge and easy to hit. That device's screen is also one of the largest currently available, making it even easier to use with fingers and thumbs. That makes for a compelling demo but I run my 8" tablet at 100% zoom, because I actually use it to get things done, and if I tried that with W10 it would be impossible to use. If tablet mode automatically changed the scaling I would have fewer issues with W10 on tablets but it doesn't, which means to get a usable experience involves manually changing the screen settings every time you flip from one to the other. Given how often you need to do that, as seen in the demo when he wanted to do something as simple as auto-hide the taskbar, it makes tablet mode a terrible experience.

Beyond that, he is just plain wrong on several points. For example, split-screen in W10 is limited compared to W8. In W8 I can split screen up to four apps, in W10 I am limited to two. He also says you can close an app using the back button but that is not accurate. That's what it does in WinPhone 8 but in Win10 and Win10 Mobile, it simply suspends them. You have to go into the multi-tasking screen to close them, which is a giant PITA on my phone, less of an issue on my tablet or laptop as I tend to close them properly all the time anyway.

He shows his Surface automatically switching into and out of Tablet Mode but my Yoga 2 won't do that. Not ever, no matter what settings I apply to it. I have to change it back and forth manually. I imagine that's because W10 is too stupid to apply the rules to the Bluetooth keyboards that 90% of tablet owners use with their tablets. So for most of us, it is a clunky manual swipe and click to change, not the smooth transition shown in the video.

Hiding the Taskbar is not a fix for the problem of having it there all the time in Tablet Mode because it also affects the Desktop. For weeks, every time I picked my tablet up I would accidentally hit something on the Taskbar and open something I didn't want or close something I did. I had to consciously change the way I pick the damned thing up, just for the privilege of using Microsoft's latest OS. The Taskbar definitely needs to be gone in Tablet Mode but I've never liked it auto-hiding on my desktop and don't see why should need to put up with it just so everything works OK when I want to stretch out on the sofa and do a bit of web browsing.

However, what is far more significant than any of these individual issues is the fact that Tablet Mode exists at all. Why? Because the thought that you need Tablet Mode for tablets and not for desktop machines is fundamentally wrong. What I love about Windows 8 is that I can use whichever features I need for a particular task. For example, I use the Modern UI version of IE 11 for almost all my web browsing because I prefer the way it looks and the way it works to any desktop browser, including Edge (which is just like every other desktop browser). I also find the Start Screen infinitely superior to the Win7 Start Menu and what they have delivered in W10 is measurably worse than W8's full-screen experience. Another example is horizontal scrolling. The video shows that it is pretty poor for tablets but I never saw it as a touch-friendly feature. It is absolutely superb for large, landscape oriented laptop screens and PC monitors, where it makes much better use of the available screen real estate. Just see how much more of an article you can see in reading mode on the Modern UI version of IE 11 compared to the vertical scrolling uselessness of reading mode in Edge (or all other browsers).

There are other fundamental issues with Tablet Mode, too. For example, who decided that full-screen apps were a necessary trait of tablet friendliness? Trust me, no matter the circumstances, nobody ever needs to open Notepad full screen on a full HD monitor, even an 8" one. Nobody. Ever. It's another thing I like about Windows 8 - it opens each software application in the most appropriate way. i.e. Where Windows 10 decides on a per-device basis which UX to use, Windows 8 does it on a per-application basis, which makes far more sense, doesn't it? After all, I am never going to want to use 3DS Max or Adobe After Effects with touch, so having them respond to Tablet Mode like everything else seems stupid. Conversely, I have those two applications, and many others, installed on both my workstation and tablet so a UI that is appropriate to the software across both devices makes a lot of sense.

How to fix it

Let's be clear, Windows 10 on tablets is broken. It isn't perfect on Windows 8, either, but it was at least heading in the right direction. The question, then, is what can Microsoft do to fix it? Probably nothing before 29 July, which is why I will be restoring Windows 8 onto my Yoga 2 before that time and why I will not be installing W10 on my laptop or my Thinkpad 8 at any time in the foreseeable future. However, there are a couple of really simple things Microsoft could do to make Tablet Mode far more palatable:

• Have an option to auto-hide the Taskbar in Tablet Mode only and
  • Add an option to change the screen scaling in Tablet Mode.

That said, it really comes down to just one thing for me. I could live with what is being delivered in W10, and I would happily upgrade all my devices, if Microsoft just did one thing - put the Modern UI version of IE 11 back in. It is the prospect of using Edge on my tablets that really shows up all the limitations of W10 for me. It is all but unusable on my 10" tablet, where IE 11 is superb on my 8" tablet. As I probably spend 75% of my tablet time in my browser that makes it a deal-breaker. Simple as that.

... and the desktop feels like you're meant to be there.

That's an interesting comment as there is actually no way to get to it in Tablet Mode. Seriously, there isn't. Try it - open an Explorer window, then minimise it so you can get to the desktop. You can't because as soon as you try, the Start Screen comes up again. So any desktop shortcuts you have are inaccessible in Tablet Mode, except through Explorer itself. How f*#king stupid is that!?!

Scrolling up and down on the full start screen ######** all over horizontal scrolling of yesteryear, it's just much easier.

How is it easier? It is harder because you have to scroll more. Horizontal scrolling was the most ingenious feature of Windows 8 and it had noting to do with tablet-friendliness.

Notification centre is much more useful and the task switcher is a lot prettier and more useful than the old list down the side routine of before.

Again, I don't see that Action Centre is a great improvement. In fact, I've switched all notifications off, because they annoy and distract me, so it is mostly just a huge, blank area of screen with a few handy but unattractive buttons at the bottom of it. The Charms Bar is far more useful for me. e.g. Sending my screen to an attached monitor is a click away in W8 but in W10 I have to open Settings, then System, then Display and then Advanced Display Settings to get to the same options.  And I certainly don't see how the new task switcher is "prettier" than the old one. Given both simply show small views of open apps, I'd say they are the neck and neck in the prettiness stakes.

It's been more than a day now and nobody has responded. Does that mean everyone is now in agreement that Windows 10 on tablet is, in fact, unusable?

I'm not :p

Your opinions aren't actual facts that proves win 10 is unusable ^^

And scrolling in the startscreen depends on how you hold your tablet ;) most 7 and 8 inch tablets are for portrait use.

http://m.windowscentral.com/heres-how-get-modern-version-ie-running-windows-10-technical-preview someone managed to get the metro version of ie11 running on win 10. Combining that with enabling the edge renderer in ie11 and you've got a fast browser in metro mode ^^

How is it easier? It is harder because you have to scroll more. Horizontal scrolling was the most ingenious feature of Windows 8 and it had noting to do with tablet-friendliness.

Horizontal scrolling was good for tablets designed for landscape orientation, but for small tablets meant to be used in portrait mode more often, it didn't make sense. Microsoft had to pick between the two scrolling direction. They most likely went with the vertical scroll because it worked nicely with smaller tablets and it was what most people were used to.

It's been more than a day now and nobody has responded. Does that mean everyone is now in agreement that Windows 10 on tablet is, in fact, unusable?

No, I disagree with everything you said.

• Like 4

It's been more than a day now and nobody has responded. Does that mean everyone is now in agreement that Windows 10 on tablet is, in fact, unusable?

Lol no.

Good try though. 

I agree with the video in the OP.  10 is just a much better OS than 8, tablet or desktop mode.

The only thing I'd take from 8 is IE11 full screen mode and put it in edge. 

• Like 1

anyone figure out how to get to the task manager in tablet mode? the right click option for it is gone from the taskbar

Don't know if this works on all tablets, but on my Surface Pro 3 you can get to task manager by pressing the power button and windows button at the same time.

They put Edge on mobiles address bar down to the bottom, like fans wanted, I think they can give us a option to do the same in full windows when in tablet mode, switching it back to the top in desktop mode.

Nope.

I find it much better than Win8/8.1.

I'm sorry but the experience shown in the video is completely different to my own experience on a Lenovo Yoga 2 Tablet.

For the TL:DR crowd

W10 does include many decent improvements for tablet use but that video is clearly designed to make a point and is anything but a fair and balanced view of W10 on tablets. It uses maximum zoom on a big screen to make tablet mode seem great but the reality of using it on an 8" or 10" tablet with no scaling is that it is much less finger friendly than Windows 8. Furthermore, the philosophy of different modes for different devices is fundamentally flawed compared to Windows 8's approach, which matches the right UI - desktop or tablet (Metro) - to each application.

For everyone else

First of all, I'd point out that the video uses the latest build, which is barely a week old and contains significant improvements to the tablet experience, so what most of us have been complaining about has improved, at least to some extent. Sure, W10 is not all bad, there are some genuine improvements, but what that video shows is how little the guy who made it knows about how Windows works. e.g. He makes a big song and dance about how easy multi-tasking is on W10, however he clearly doesn't know how it works on Windows 8, so the comparison is completely invalid. He doesn't know (or deliberately doesn't show) that if you swipe in from the left edge slightly, then go back out, just a little wiggle of your thumb, it brings up the app switcher down the left side, like you get on the W8 desktop, which makes app switching easier on W8 than W10. In fact, you get the added advantage of still having the current app open and visible, ready to keep working.

Secondly, he is clearly working at 200% zoom, which gives his Surface 3 an effective screen resolution of just 960x640, making all his touch targets huge and easy to hit. That device's screen is also one of the largest currently available, making it even easier to use with fingers and thumbs. That makes for a compelling demo but I run my 8" tablet at 100% zoom, because I actually use it to get things done, and if I tried that with W10 it would be impossible to use. If tablet mode automatically changed the scaling I would have fewer issues with W10 on tablets but it doesn't, which means to get a usable experience involves manually changing the screen settings every time you flip from one to the other. Given how often you need to do that, as seen in the demo when he wanted to do something as simple as auto-hide the taskbar, it makes tablet mode a terrible experience.

Beyond that, he is just plain wrong on several points. For example, split-screen in W10 is limited compared to W8. In W8 I can split screen up to four apps, in W10 I am limited to two. He also says you can close an app using the back button but that is not accurate. That's what it does in WinPhone 8 but in Win10 and Win10 Mobile, it simply suspends them. You have to go into the multi-tasking screen to close them, which is a giant PITA on my phone, less of an issue on my tablet or laptop as I tend to close them properly all the time anyway.

He shows his Surface automatically switching into and out of Tablet Mode but my Yoga 2 won't do that. Not ever, no matter what settings I apply to it. I have to change it back and forth manually. I imagine that's because W10 is too stupid to apply the rules to the Bluetooth keyboards that 90% of tablet owners use with their tablets. So for most of us, it is a clunky manual swipe and click to change, not the smooth transition shown in the video.

Hiding the Taskbar is not a fix for the problem of having it there all the time in Tablet Mode because it also affects the Desktop. For weeks, every time I picked my tablet up I would accidentally hit something on the Taskbar and open something I didn't want or close something I did. I had to consciously change the way I pick the damned thing up, just for the privilege of using Microsoft's latest OS. The Taskbar definitely needs to be gone in Tablet Mode but I've never liked it auto-hiding on my desktop and don't see why should need to put up with it just so everything works OK when I want to stretch out on the sofa and do a bit of web browsing.

However, what is far more significant than any of these individual issues is the fact that Tablet Mode exists at all. Why? Because the thought that you need Tablet Mode for tablets and not for desktop machines is fundamentally wrong. What I love about Windows 8 is that I can use whichever features I need for a particular task. For example, I use the Modern UI version of IE 11 for almost all my web browsing because I prefer the way it looks and the way it works to any desktop browser, including Edge (which is just like every other desktop browser). I also find the Start Screen infinitely superior to the Win7 Start Menu and what they have delivered in W10 is measurably worse than W8's full-screen experience. Another example is horizontal scrolling. The video shows that it is pretty poor for tablets but I never saw it as a touch-friendly feature. It is absolutely superb for large, landscape oriented laptop screens and PC monitors, where it makes much better use of the available screen real estate. Just see how much more of an article you can see in reading mode on the Modern UI version of IE 11 compared to the vertical scrolling uselessness of reading mode in Edge (or all other browsers).

There are other fundamental issues with Tablet Mode, too. For example, who decided that full-screen apps were a necessary trait of tablet friendliness? Trust me, no matter the circumstances, nobody ever needs to open Notepad full screen on a full HD monitor, even an 8" one. Nobody. Ever. It's another thing I like about Windows 8 - it opens each software application in the most appropriate way. i.e. Where Windows 10 decides on a per-device basis which UX to use, Windows 8 does it on a per-application basis, which makes far more sense, doesn't it? After all, I am never going to want to use 3DS Max or Adobe After Effects with touch, so having them respond to Tablet Mode like everything else seems stupid. Conversely, I have those two applications, and many others, installed on both my workstation and tablet so a UI that is appropriate to the software across both devices makes a lot of sense.

How to fix it

Let's be clear, Windows 10 on tablets is broken. It isn't perfect on Windows 8, either, but it was at least heading in the right direction. The question, then, is what can Microsoft do to fix it? Probably nothing before 29 July, which is why I will be restoring Windows 8 onto my Yoga 2 before that time and why I will not be installing W10 on my laptop or my Thinkpad 8 at any time in the foreseeable future. However, there are a couple of really simple things Microsoft could do to make Tablet Mode far more palatable:

• Have an option to auto-hide the Taskbar in Tablet Mode only and
  • Add an option to change the screen scaling in Tablet Mode.

That said, it really comes down to just one thing for me. I could live with what is being delivered in W10, and I would happily upgrade all my devices, if Microsoft just did one thing - put the Modern UI version of IE 11 back in. It is the prospect of using Edge on my tablets that really shows up all the limitations of W10 for me. It is all but unusable on my 10" tablet, where IE 11 is superb on my 8" tablet. As I probably spend 75% of my tablet time in my browser that makes it a deal-breaker. Simple as that.

So... I have the same experiences as the reviewer.

1. I've set no zoom.

2. I'm using a publicly available build so if you aren't using the latest, you cannot continue to still whine.

3. I switch to and fro tablet mode automatically without removing my keyboard on my QHD spectre x360. It required special drivers, which you probably did not bother to find nor install.

4. I tried as hard as I could and could find no windows 8.1 style window switcher when sliding in from the left.

Don't know if this works on all tablets, but on my Surface Pro 3 you can get to task manager by pressing the power button and windows button at the same time.

Same with my spectre.

anyone figure out how to get to the task manager in tablet mode? the right click option for it is gone from the taskbar

On both my 7" and 10" Toshiba tablets, I press and hold down on the Windows icon, as in "right click", and the menu pops up with Task Manager listed.

I have to agree with what it is expressed on the video, I haven't got a chance to actually use Win10 on  a tablet just yet, but the evidence on the video is pretty obvious to me, I might go ahead and buy my Surface 3 after watching this :-)

This forum is big, it's pretty easy to miss a post. Either that or we all had better things to be doing.

It's pretty clear from your post that you have personal niggles with Windows 10 on a tablet, but a lot of these things are really just your personal niggles and not indicative of the whole broad span of things.

I totally disagree that horizontal scrolling was better, it wasn't, it's far more natural for your thumb to scroll up and down, it's how it's designed. Just sit there now and try it, tell me sliding your thumb left and right is easier, it isn't. In order to scroll horizontally you have to either move your thumb in an awkward way, or move your whole hand.

It's all also more natural as browsers scroll vertically, making this much more likely to stay in muscle memory.

You can search for taskmgr.exe on the Start Screen.

So... I have the same experiences as the reviewer.

1. I've set no zoom.

2. I'm using a publicly available build so if you aren't using the latest, you cannot continue to still whine.

3. I switch to and fro tablet mode automatically without removing my keyboard on my QHD spectre x360. It required special drivers, which you probably did not bother to find nor install.

4. I tried as hard as I could and could find no windows 8.1 style window switcher when sliding in from the left.

Same with my spectre.

1. Does this look like the same experience as in the video?

ljhGzE4.jpg

Because that is how big Edge's controls are in comparison to my finger on my 10" Yoga 2. My finger is resting on the screen, so there is no perspective to play tricks with comparative sizes. That's how tiny Edge's controls are in Tablet Mode, on a Windows 10 tablet. Who could possibly use that? For comparison, here is IE 11 on my 8" tablet, alongside Edge on my 10" tablet. You can see how well suited IE 11 is to the size of my fingers, even on a smaller screen. (Both screens are 1920x1200.)

WsHn7gF.jpg

Does this look like the same experience as in the video?

9PI6Sbo.jpg

Because this is how big the tiles on my Start Screen are with no zoom, on my 10" tablet. This image is 25% of actual size but it shows how little screen space tiles take up when you are working with no zoom/scaling (pixels mapped 1:1). Maybe you haven't set any scaling but tablets usually have some scaling by default. My Yoga 2 was set at 150%, I had to manually change it to 100% to match the Thinkpad 8 I had been using for a year.

2. I would love to be on the latest build but I can only upgrade from ISOs, so mine is build 10162 (which is only a week old). I have seen the screenshot galleries of the latest build and NONE OF THIS HAS CHANGED. If you think it has, please take the time to show some screenshots so that I can breath a little easier about where my favourite OS is heading.

3. How can you switch automatically without detaching the keyboard? If it detects a keyboard, it should remain out of Tablet Mode. Otherwise it is broken and you should report it through the Feedback app. And if a Windows feature requires drivers, shouldn't they be included in Windows itself? I have posted about this on Microsoft's Insider forum and no-one has suggested it is a driver issue.

4. You can't find that switcher because they have removed it from Windows 10. It is one of the things that makes it so bad.

I have to agree with what it is expressed on the video, I haven't got a chance to actually use Win10 on  a tablet just yet, but the evidence on the video is pretty obvious to me, I might go ahead and buy my Surface 3 after watching this :-)

Then look at my screenshots to see just how carefully set up that video is. Notice how enormous his Start Screen tiles are compared to mine. He has to be running at 200% zoom, maybe even more, which might be OK for tablet use but it would make working on the desktop a massive PITA.

It's pretty clear from your post that you have personal niggles with Windows 10 on a tablet, but a lot of these things are really just your personal niggles and not indicative of the whole broad span of things.

These are anything but "personal niggles", these are real, provable, indisputable facts that make Windows 10 on a tablet a measurably worse experience than Windows 8. I've shown you photos here. I have made measurements of widget sizes and even of the width of my finger that show this in another thread. I can repost that data here if it helps to clarify anything. Suffice to say that the touch targets in Edge on my 10" tablet are smaller than they are on my 4.7" phone and, by extrapolation, smaller than they would be on a 4" phone.

The only "personal" aspect of it is how unusable it makes it for me, in every other way these issues are real and affect everyone using Windows 10 on a tablet. Maybe you can live with, I can't, but you have to agree that the experience is worse on W10 than W8. There is no way to show it isn't without distorting the facts or ignoring functionality that doesn't suit your point of view, which is what that video has done.

I want Windows 10 to be great. Eventually I will need it to be great. I hate the thought that I will have to stick with an out of date OS because the current version provides a measurably worse experience that will make the PCs I use every day less useful than they are now.

I totally disagree that horizontal scrolling was better, it wasn't, it's far more natural for your thumb to scroll up and down, it's how it's designed.

Clearly you have completely misunderstood my point here. I agree that horizontal scrolling is worse for touch. I have always considered it a feature that enhances desktop use, which is one reason I won't be installing Windows 10 on my laptop, either. What I did point out, though, was that horizontal scrolling would at least bring tiles within reach of your thumbs, whereas vertical scrolling will not. In the context of the video, it shows a clear contradiction to a point the guy made about having to take one hand off the tablet to switch tasks in W8 (which was wrong anyway).

• Like 2

First, the Surface 3 is running at 150% scaling, zoom is not the correct term. As technology progresses, we're packing more and more pixels onto a display. The point of this is to make it so that you can't distinguish individual pixels. 100% would be very hard to use not only for tablets, but as a laptop as well. He's not running it at that scaling because it makes things easy to touch with a finger, it just makes more sense all around for the size of the screen.

As for Edge, it is a step back when it comes to tablet browsing, but not by much. While I enjoy using IE11 modern more than using Edge when it comes to browsing the internet in tablet mode, it was very easy to get adjusted.

The problem with Windows 8 was that the interface had a very steep learning curve. On Windows 10, the learning curve is almost nonexistence. Microsoft took what worked and built on top of it.

If people say they like Windows 10 on a tablet, then they like it. It's their opinion and their entitled to it. We get that you don't like the Windows 10 tablet experience, there's no need for you to constantly mention the same thing. It's gotten to the point where you drilled your views into our head, but then continue to drill it out the other side.

Hmm... Hamburger>Settings>"Task Manager" works but that's a bit inconvenient. It can be pinned to the start menu but I don't think I'd want it sitting there all the time.

The dinky tiles in the middle of the screen went away for me as of build 10166. In tablet mode Start looks almost exactly like Windows 8.x other than the amount of tiles per column.

As for the small controls on Edge, I do not have a tablet but on my 2nd gen iPod Touch the keyboard buttons are the size of a Tic-Tac and I can use it just fine. Edge is also nowhere near finished in the current build. They should leave immersive IE11 in until it is more feature-complete, IMO.

1. Does this look like the same experience as in the video?

ljhGzE4.jpg

Because that is how big Edge's controls are in comparison to my finger on my 10" Yoga 2. My finger is resting on the screen, so there is no perspective to play tricks with comparative sizes. That's how tiny Edge's controls are in Tablet Mode, on a Windows 10 tablet. Who could possibly use that? For comparison, here is IE 11 on my 8" tablet, alongside Edge on my 10" tablet. You can see how well suited IE 11 is to the size of my fingers, even on a smaller screen. (Both screens are 1920x1200.)

WsHn7gF.jpg

Does this look like the same experience as in the video?

9PI6Sbo.jpg

Because this is how big the tiles on my Start Screen are with no zoom, on my 10" tablet. This image is 25% of actual size but it shows how little screen space tiles take up when you are working with no zoom/scaling (pixels mapped 1:1). Maybe you haven't set any scaling but tablets usually have some scaling by default. My Yoga 2 was set at 150%, I had to manually change it to 100% to match the Thinkpad 8 I had been using for a year.

LOL...wait a minute. You are complaining because you set scaling to 100% for a 1900x1200 screen at 10 inches and things weren't touch friendly?

OF COURSE things will be smaller. My Spectre scales to 200% and for good reason.

Even Apple has automatic scaling, because as you know, the higher resolution on a small screen, things get smaller...it shouldn't be a bad on MS that you turned off scaling.

• Like 2