Improving ping - having problems

I'm playing a game right now & story short i'd like to improve my ping if possible.

I found some YouTube guides which said the same thing as each other. Get your IP address in regedit, check it with ipconfig & make sure it's the same & then continue the steps.

Problem is for me - they are different, so i'm stuck what to do now.

Another guide i read was turn off anything & everything running in the background. Anything constantly checking on the internet like anti virus stuff, firewall etc.

How do i find what is running in the background so i can turn them off? I'll not be doing this on my main PC, just the laptop which doesn't get used. There's no files or anything really on there so no big problem with turning security off.

You can improve your pings by:

1: Running on a wired connection and disabling anything running in the background like torrents or similar.

2: Upgrading your router (If this is causing the problem)

3: Upgrading your ISP download/upload tier.

That's about the only true way to do it.

• Like 2

Well i already run on wired so that's ok. The router is new & i don't know about the 3rd option but if you mean improve speeds then my speeds are great.

How do i see what is running in the background & turn it off?

regedit tweak does work... something something regedit tcpackfrequency... thing.

EDIT: Turn off any router filtering / firewalls / etc - just pass all traffic through if possible - this will decrease ping.

regedit tweak does work... something something regedit tcpackfrequency... thing.

EDIT: Turn off any router filtering / firewalls / etc - just pass all traffic through if possible - this will decrease ping.

tcpackfrequency Wouldnt work for ping. Ping is not TCP.

Generally not really. 

To the OP - Post some ping results to common sites, Google, Microsoft, Facebook. Neowin. Lets see what the differences are. 

Do a -t on it to let it run continuously, Does it go up and down or is it always high? ........

There is a program called Glasswire which is really good for seeing what is using Traffic, Your not running any Dropbox, MEGA, syncs are you? 

tcpackfrequency Wouldnt work for ping. Ping is not TCP.

Generally not really. 

To the OP - Post some ping results to common sites, Google, Microsoft, Facebook. Neowin. Lets see what the differences are. 

Do a -t on it to let it run continuously, Does it go up and down or is it always high? ........

There is a program called Glasswire which is really good for seeing what is using Traffic, Your not running any Dropbox, MEGA, syncs are you? 

Whatever the registry tweak is about not batching responses at all - other Windows batches messages to be sent out - delaying them and when there are enough messages then it sends the packets. Something like that...

Whatever it does, it gives about 20 - 30 ping decrease.

Don't know what your ISP is but you could ask them to enable "fast path" on your account (if they support doing such a thing)

30 ping decrease - 3 - 4 hours of "go ###### yourself" from ISP support