Galaxy S 6 vs Motorola Nexus 6

I love TouchWiz. It adds many fantastic features to Android and if you go stock Android on the S6, you'll lose, for example, the use of the best features of the camera. The stock Android Camera app is rubbish.

I suggest XtreStoLite, which is a TouchWiz ROM with all of Samsung's junk removed. It's seriously fast and streamlined. Then you can flash a second package ("Aroma") and pick and choose the components (Samsung or not) that you want to add back in.

The faster CPU/GPU will make a big difference if you play 3D games.

These days you can get a little closer to stock without flashing another ROM by using the Google Now launcher.

I love TouchWiz. It adds many fantastic features to Android and if you go stock Android on the S6, you'll lose, for example, the use of the best features of the camera. The stock Android Camera app is rubbish.

I suggest XtreStoLite, which is a TouchWiz ROM with all of Samsung's junk removed. It's seriously fast and streamlined. Then you can flash a second package ("Aroma") and pick and choose the components (Samsung or not) that you want to add back in.

It's just flashing freaks me out a bit. I've heard some bad stories...

I bought the Nexus 6 on release, found it to be a dog of a phone.  Now got the s6 and loving it.

It's not stock android, but the material design theme from the samsung theme app with the google apps (keyboard, messagaing, calendar etc etc) is pretty close.  Prefer samsung launcher over now launcher though.

Touchwiz isn't like it used to be, that's for sure.

If you want a decent camera, well.....there's just no comparison.  The s6 camera makes the nexus 6 one look laughable.  OIS is great, and the apps focusing algorithms are almost iphone like!

The performance and stability is also better on the s6.  The nexus 6 was a bit laggy and I had a lot more forced closes on it, not the mention the dreaded going back to the home screen, and seeing no icons for 2-3 seconds!!!  I get none of that with the s6.  It's smooth as silk.

SaidNoOneEver.jpg

I kid I kid, there a pro's and cons. Like I said, it boils down to specific features.

You can take touchwiz off and use any launcher on it such as Nova so S6 will be great with Nova.  Problem solved.  :)

That's what I did with my Note 2 and S4.

Ah.. cool.. I will try that someday.

The only way to take off touchwizz is to flash another rom. Out of sight does not mean removed.

• Like 1

The only way to take off touchwizz is to flash another rom. Out of sight does not mean removed.

True, launcher removes only that, launcher. samsung junk is still there.

If you find the Nexus 6 a bit sluggish and you have a rooted device, there's an hack to force the phone's full disk encryption off.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/development/disable-forced-encryption-gain-root-t2946715

+1  though I have encryption disabled on my LG G3

I like the idea of Encryption, but using software encryption is stupid, it should be hardware based, anything software based affects performance too badly.

I like the idea of Encryption, but using software encryption is stupid, it should be hardware based, anything software based affects performance too badly.

yeah I did notice my lg g3 to be a lot snappier after disabling it in lollipop, though LG apparently also learned and disabled it by default in future updates.

True, launcher removes only that, launcher. samsung junk is still there.

I don't have any samsung/google junk on mine.  KABOOM!  :p

I know that ... I wasn't talking about taking off completely at once but you have to work on it some more to remove them all as long as you know what you are doing with the device... So you can have clean setup. Of course flash ROM works but either way is fine.  Remember flashing isn't perfect for some people which is why some are scared to flash them due to the problems they heard about.

I was saying you can use launcher for smooth experience as long as it works on your device if touchwiz drives you nuts.

• Like 1

I don't have any samsung/google junk on mine.  KABOOM!  :p

I know that ... I wasn't talking about taking off completely at once but you have to work on it some more to remove them all as long as you know what you are doing with the device... So you can have clean setup. Of course flash ROM works but either way is fine.  Remember flashing isn't perfect for some people which is why some are scared to flash them due to the problems they heard about.

I was saying you can use launcher for smooth experience as long as it works on your device if touchwiz drives you nuts.

agreed, it's one leg of the table of solutions.

S6 > N6, personal preference for me. The N6 is way too big, and the hardware is super disappointing. I hate Touchwiz, but the S6 with a third party launcher is super smooth. Not to mention, it has the BEST camera on any Android smartphone (next to the G4). It has the BEST screen I have ever seen on any smartphone (I'd even go far as to saying best screen on any device period), bar none. Battery life nets me about 4-5 hours of screen on time, on 1-2 days of use, depending on how heavy I use the phone.I absolutely loved my S6. I sadly killed mine in a lake (stupid me). Overall, I'd put the N6 very low on my list of "flagship" phones. The only benefit it has going for it is stock experience (fast updates, no bloat), and Project-Fi. Outside of that, it is (imo) the worst Nexus phone yet. 

I'd also consider waiting for the OnePlus 2, which is supposed to be announced on 7/27. If you can wait further into the year, the new Nexus device(s) should also be released. 

• Like 1

yeah I did notice my lg g3 to be a lot snappier after disabling it in lollipop, though LG apparently also learned and disabled it by default in future updates.

Did the G3 ship with Lollipop? I thought it shipped with KK. I was under the impression that Google were only forcing it on by default in new handsets shipping with LP out of the box, so I take it that LG decided to enable that feature when they shipped the update?

Did you have to hack your phone to disable it?

So I'm done with Windows Phone sadly. I was wondering if the Nexus 6 is still stock Android and you get direct updates from Google like it used to be if I remember correctly? Also I just wanted your guys opinion about the two.

I feel you, bro.

After the last three years having all kinds of Windows Phones in my market (Lumia 925 and 930 being the last ones), I felt I was about to give up. And I did.

I got a Moto X and couldn't be more happy. As many people said through this thread, stock Android is the way to go. 

I know it is not a flagship, but it feels snappy and beautiful as one. Here in Brazil there's no Nexus by Motorola, but I can tell you that the experience I'm having with a Motorola mid-range phone is fantastic.

And one decisive factor for me when trying to buy a new phone was onscreen buttons. I hate the way TouchWiz kills the beautiful Lollipop onscreen buttons with their strange capacitative and phisical ones.

IMO, you'd be better off with a Nexus.

• Like 1

I feel you, bro.

After the last three years having all kinds of Windows Phones in my market (Lumia 925 and 930 being the last ones), I felt I was about to give up. And I did.

I got a Moto X and couldn't be more happy. As many people said through this thread, stock Android is the way to go. 

I know it is not a flagship, but it feels snappy and beautiful as one. Here in Brazil there's no Nexus by Motorola, but I can tell you that the experience I'm having with a Motorola mid-range phone is fantastic.

And one decisive factor for me when trying to buy a new phone was onscreen buttons. I hate the way TouchWiz kills the beautiful Lollipop onscreen buttons with their strange capacitative and phisical ones.

IMO, you'd be better off with a Nexus.

+1 I love tap on and tap off on my lg g3, never using physical button again!

Did the G3 ship with Lollipop? I thought it shipped with KK. I was under the impression that Google were only forcing it on by default in new handsets shipping with LP out of the box, so I take it that LG decided to enable that feature when they shipped the update?

Did you have to hack your phone to disable it?

Kitkat, disabled by stock, but upon updating itself to lollipop, it enabled itself.  And nope, disabling it was a simple toggle.

Kitkat, disabled by stock, but upon updating itself to lollipop, it enabled itself.  And nope, disabling it was a simple toggle.

Guppy-san!  Remember to breath in and out.  Tap on, Tap off.

:p

I like those on-screen buttons instead of physical buttons such as home button..  I wish all phones have no buttons on the devices.. only on the screen.

But I don't care...  I have been using physical buttons since late  90's.  (cell phones to smartphones, tablets)

• Like 1

Kitkat, disabled by stock, but upon updating itself to lollipop, it enabled itself. And nope, disabling it was a simple toggle.

I do hate physical buttons...

I do hate physical buttons...

jaja dude, you keep pointing yourself more and more to the Nexus 6. Are you dead set on upgrading right now? the one plus two might be interesting.

jaja dude, you keep pointing yourself more and more to the Nexus 6. Are you dead set on upgrading right now? the one plus two might be interesting.

Yeah... Sadly... My phone is is on its last legs... The battery lasts only a few hours and it randomly restarts it's self. Everything takes forever to load as well. I was looking right at the beginning of next month.

as far as i remember, they are keeping the invite only system for the new model....    so i lost all interest in it.

as far as i remember, they are keeping the invite only system for the new model.... so i lost all interest in it.

What's that?

Yeah... Sadly... My phone is is on its last legs... The battery lasts only a few hours and it randomly restarts it's self. Everything takes forever to load as well.

i managed 2 year with a phone that was dropped on concrete in first 6 months.    at the end the battery would take all night to charge, and portable chargers would only keep the battery at the same % level when NOT in use....

screen was cracked in the middle too.   i did not want to upgrade until the last moment.  then i used someone elses S6.    i bought that phone next day and i love it. way more then i planned to pay for it, but whatever, i will try to get 3 years out of this one.  got a case this time around.

What's that?

you have to jump though hoops on facebook or twitter or beg on their forums to get an invite to buy the phone.    you cannot just order it.     

if you buy it you get 5 invites to give.    i tried for a while, and then said screw it, that is just lame.

they could have just done a preorder with a notice of the wait time..   i am not gonna spend time begging.