Windows Tablets with Ethernet Port

I'm trying to find a suitable low-end Windows Tablet that has an integrated ethernet port. This would be perfect for a particular application where I cannot rely on wireless and my USB bus will be fully utilized by other hardware. The USB hardware needs to be constantly streaming data to the tablet, and the tablet will be streaming data out the ethernet port, so that is why I don't want to consider an ethernet USB adapter.

I'm ultimately looking for a low profile computer to be a component in a system. I was looking at the Surface 3 as it has an integrated interface along with the low profile but does not have Ethernet. I realize this would be considered a fringe features and may not exist -- why would a tablet need an ethernet port? Like I said though, this is for a particular application that has these requirements.

Thanks!

Edit: My USB hardware is 2.0 -- Would USB 3.0 be able to handle a steady stream of ethernet and 2.0 hardware data?

More importantly, why does it have to be a tablet? There are lots of tiny computers that would fulfil that kind of need much better.

I have traditionally purchased laptops for this kind of an application. I'll describe the application briefly -- These are computers that take data from a USB device that is attached to a larger industrial control system that is performing some process (taking data from instruments and turning off and on controls). My software then packages the entire interface to a network protocol that then other computers at the control station "tap into".

Physical access to these computers is needed when remote desktop cannot be achieved (if there are network problems, for example) and also for "checkout" purposes.

I've looked into mini computers to use for this, but I don't like the idea that I will need to bring a display, keyboard, and mouse in order to do basic troubleshooting at the install location. Additionally, I'm on my feat at these locations -- so again, my thought is that a tablet has the UI attached to the computer and it can be used while I'm on my feat without any ergonomic considerations.

Hello,

A tablet with a USB 3.0 port should be adequate, however, I think you would probably be better off with a sticking with a laptop, especially in an ICS where reliability is going to be paramount.  Another possibility might be one of Intel's NUCs or a Gigabyte BRIX SFF PC.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hello,

A tablet with a USB 3.0 port should be adequate, however, I think you would probably be better off with a sticking with a laptop, especially in an ICS where reliability is going to be paramount.  Another possibility might be one of Intel's NUCs or a Gigabyte BRIX SFF PC.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

That should be what I'm looking at. Do you know what would be perfect? A handheld keyboard/mouse with monitor that I could attach directly for initial setup and potential troubleshooting. These are machines that I setup and remote into 99% of the time, but that 1% of the time that I need to go to the hardware physically and troubleshoot I need an interface. I can't do a full monitor, keyboard and mouse and have to set it down somewhere. The ergonomics of the environment does not allow for it.

Edit: There are some pretty decent handheld keyboards + mice. A monitor on a battery would be nice...

Edit2: Or maybe I should just get a secondary touch screen and integrate it into the install.

Hello,

Lenovo has a miniature wireless handheld keyboard with an integrated touchpad, and Brando has several pages of similar devices in their catalog.  They are all largely similar to old smartphone keyboards, and about as fast to type on (which is to say, not very).

A company called GeChic seems to specialize in portable monitors. I haven't used one, but they seem to get decent reviews on Amazon.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Maybe a KVMoIP device and a laptop?

I have an older Aderlink unit I used to use with a machine that didn't have built in OOB management and it was pretty nice you could VNC into the adderlink unit which was connected to the pc via VGA/Keyboard/mouse (It was PS/2 but i Just used to PS2> USB converter, the newer ones are natively USB)

or I think some of the higher end NUC's have intel AMT for out of band access.

Another option I can think of if there's room is an small ITX based computer built around a server motherboard that has IPMI/Inbuilt KVMoIP which should give you remote power controls and console.etc

Not all tablets/Android versions support Ethernet via USB OTG Ethernet adapters, and you also have to consider how it's going to charge when connected to the network by USB OTG E. Some off brand tablets have a separate charging port, which could help.

Sounds like a job for a cheap 10-11" laptop. Some have RJ-45, others need a USB OTG.

use wireless and Meraki Systems Manager for the remoting. very reliable and instant. no need to configure and re-exec on load like teamviewer.