Updating iPhone 5 from iOS6 ... to iOS7 (NOT iOS8)?

I've bought a used iPhone 5 to be going on with as my other phone keeps acting up. It came with iOS 6.

I remember some time ago, probably back when i had an iPhone 3GS, i tried to update my then iPhone to an iOS version that wasn't the current version & it wouldn't let me - i had no choice but to either not update at all or update to the latest version at that time which i didn't want to do.

I don't want iOS8. Is there any way at all i can update to a version of iOS 7? I forget which version of iOS 7 my iPhone 4S was running, but i wanted to update to iOs 7, not 8.

Thanks.

Can't be done sorry. iOS 7 was stopped being signed a long time ago.

You can't just download the old version and flash it as you won't get the verification signature from Apple - just like your old 3GS the same system is still present albeit even harder to crack now.

Can't be done sorry. iOS 7 was stopped being signed a long time ago.

Oh, that's right.  In the tutorial where the window says "...and will verify the update with Apple." that'll block unsigned updates.  Out of curiosity, why don't you want to upgrade to 8?

Isn't iOs 8 going to make an iPhone 5 laggy as hell though?

I remember when i updated my 3GS 1 iOS too many & it just made it awful to use.

Out of interest, can 8.4 be jailbroken?

I used this on my old iphone 4

http://jaxov.com/2011/06/create-signed-ipsw-using-ifaith-to-restore-iphone-without-tinyumbrella-cydia-server/

Not sure if it will work with iphone 5, but might be worth a read

Other options are tiny umbrella and host files, but i'm to lazy to google

https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Bluefreeze

IIRC correctly, you can download unsigned IPSW, fake sign them with ifaith and then load them. I had to use it in order to preserve baseband for software unlock.

Isn't iOs 8 going to make an iPhone 5 laggy as hell though?

I remember when i updated my 3GS 1 iOS too many & it just made it awful to use.

Out of interest, can 8.4 be jailbroken?

No its not laggy iOS 7 was quite bit laggy when it was intruduced.  iOS 8.4 is not that bad on a iphone 5.

I don't have any problems with 8.4 on my iPhone 5. It runs quite nicely, IMO. Side-by-side comparisons show iOS 6 being slightly faster though -- so there is that. But there are so many awesome features in iOS 8, I wouldn't want to go back to 7 or 6. The expanded privacy, control over cell data usage, app background refresh, and battery usage monitoring features alone are worth it.

I probably won't upgrade this year and go another year with the 5. If I do, that will mean I used it for 4 years. Its still really snappy and does everything I want it to. Battery life is still great. Having a hard time seeing the need to upgrade.