Insider stuck on old build and not activated

Hi

Seems I am in a mess

I have had win 10 tech preview on this pc for ages, today I tried to update but it seems microsoft took the updates offline, in additiion it has become deactivated and wont reactivate saying the key is blocked.

I read that insiders will get a free upgrade to the production version soon, but given I seem to have been blocked and on an earlier build have I missed out?

on build 10041

I do have a newer build on usb stick, so could upgrade offline but since I cannot activate I assume I am screwed?

supposedbly 10240 is out but again its not detected, any ideas?

A few builds a go, Microsoft said they required machines to upgrade to and have Microsoft accounts linked to the insider program to progress any further with builds.

When Windows 10 was RTM, the intake of new users and activations was disabled as Microsoft move over to the retail channel for the delivery system of the OS. Existing insiders on the latest build were upgraded to the latest 'RTM' build given to the OEMs and activations remained as part of the upgrade process.

If you're not on the latest activated already, As far as I know, you'll not be able to progress any further with Insider testing until the insider program is resumed after the retail release of Windows 10.

You best option right now is just to wait it out for the next week or go back to Windows 7/8 and grab the release Windows 10 on the 29th.

• 2 weeks later...

so windows 10 launch date has passed and I still cannot activate.

have microsoft said "screw you" to me?

where is the source of information that I will be able to activate again for free?

where is the source of information that I will be able to activate again for free?

Blimey, have some patience. MS have made it clear that this is a staggered release.

where have they made this clear?

on my win7 rig the windows 10 system tray app crashes when I click on it.

and all insiders are reporting updates and been activated.

I will be patient when they announce what they doing to fix my broken activation.

everyone here just seems happy about their own copy working fine but not about us with problems.

error code Error code: 0xC004C003

Have you tried downloading one of the released ISO files, mounting it, and doing an in place upgrade using that? Once you get to the latest build you should be able to activate again (not 100% sure, but worth a try).

If you want free, wipe and install Windows 7 or 8.x then install Windows 10 from ISO within Windows.  

I know it's lot of work to do but only way to do so.

You have problem because you didn't go all the way during the Insider program.. You can not stay in TP build for long time before Windows 10 launch. It doesn't work that way. You should have went every build whenever the Insider tells you do so.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/windows-10-build-10240-activationkey/a870640c-5a39-42c4-9e04-60991136f6a9?page=19&tm=1438192080079

hmm doesn't bode well.  msdn users got issued new keys, all insider inactivated machines will stay like that forever, so why are people here pretending otherwise I don't know.

I think Microsoft have shut the door and basically its "tough luck".

I just have to ask, Chrysalis, why are still running such an old build of Windows 10?

did you read my first post, where an update wont download?

the newer version hasn't been offered to me.

Regardless here is what my Microsoft contact just told me.

"We will no longer be issuing any activation keys for any new insider builds, Insider's who are not currently activated have no route now or in future to activate their devices, as a way of apology and with your current contract we are happy to supply you with a free retail copy of windows 10 to compensate you for your time in testing as I can verify you are a registered insider, we are investigating what went wrong with your experience, thank you"

where have they made this clear?

My apologies. The new forum software told me the post i quoted was your first post, so i completely missed the rest of this thread :blush:

update 30 july. installed 10240 with an iso.

still says key is banned and will not activate.

says I am still part of insider program.

If you want free, wipe and install Windows 7 or 8.x then install Windows 10 from ISO within Windows.  

I know it's lot of work to do but only way to do so.

You have problem because you didn't go all the way during the Insider program.. You can not stay in TP build for long time before Windows 10 launch. It doesn't work that way. You should have went every build whenever the Insider tells you do so.

other insiders did not have to do this so why should I?