Voltage/Wattage/Amperage Calculator

Question

I wrote this mainly just as an exercise for myself, but also as a tool to quickly figure out how much of a load a particular power source can handle, or how big a power source I need to run a particular device, whether that be one of my CB radios, a sound system, etc.

Anyway, I just thought I would share it with you guys.  I know there's websites that do the same thing, but I wrote it as an exercise for myself and thought I'd share it, and also because sometimes I'm out at somebody else's house with no internet or cell phone service, and it'd be nifty to be able to use this little program in conjunction with my multimeter to do some quick calculations.

Note: It is a python file, so you have to have Python 3 installed to run it (will probably work under Python 2 if you just delete Line 1 that specifies Python 3), and if you also happen to have the colorama library installed it'll highlight the desired output in green for you.  Colorama is available in the Ubuntu package manager, or from their website. (URL is in the program)  Should be cross platform across Linux, Windows, OSX, pretty much anything you can put Python on.

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6017319/Scripts/powercalc.py

Screenshot

post-125978-0-42110900-1437210179.png

2 answers to this question

Might update it a little bit to account for and calculate impedance, but I've been up for a while so I'm going to bed, :p