Disable Windows Defender

So I've googled for some solutions that worked permanently for older builds, but they don't seem to work for 10240.

It just re-enables itself all the time.

It's not like the older versions of windows where you could just disable the service, all of those options are disabled in services.msc

Tried to disable by a group policy, it still switches itself back on again.

On top of that, even when it is disabled, there are countless notifications in action centre warning me that it's disabled.

All of this used to be easy to switch off. 

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Install third-party anti-virus software? That usually does the trick since you can't run two AV programs at the same time.

Correct, I have Avast installed and when I installed it, it disabled defender for me.

Install third-party anti-virus software? That usually does the trick since you can't run two AV programs at the same time.

I don't use anti-virus, and haven't done for many, many years and have had no problems. I have ran rootkit scans manually occasionally and have had no issue. I don't want to start a debate about the merits of using anti-virus though, I just want to disable windows defender.

Correct, I have Avast installed and when I installed it, it disabled defender for me.

I agree, this will disable windows defender, though I do not wish to have anti-virus software installed.

You can't disable it from the control panel, like Windows 8.1?

You have the usual options to disable it, though it doesn't seem to stick though, it switches back on at random (possibly when there are definition updates, which you also can't opt out of).

Look on the bright side: running Windows Defender is like running no AV at all. Its not going to nag you because it never catches anything. I'd just leave it alone and not worry about it. You're not going to see a huge performance boost from disabling it, anyway.

I don't want to start a debate about the merits of using anti-virus though, I just want to disable windows defender.

That would be a completely pointless debate since you appear to be one of those stubborn anti-antivirus people that are impossible to convince. :)

Why not stay on Windows 8.1 or Windows 7? Clearly Windows 10 isn't for you.

• Like 3

While I dont have this build, I would think that there a bug of some sort if the setting are not sticking to off.

This probably by design. If you can't opt-out of updates for security reasons, then why would they let you run with no AV?

That would be a completely pointless debate since you appear to be one of those stubborn anti-antivirus people that are impossible to convince. :)

Why not stay on Windows 8.1 or Windows 7? Clearly Windows 10 isn't for you.

On the contrary, aside from some early niggles, I'm very pleased as to how it's turned out. I expect windows/driver updates to rectify most problems I have (which are admittedly small).

I will try the group policy change as advised by Max Norris and report back. I did previously attempt a registry edit that should basically do the same thing, but perhaps the keys have changed from the article that I got the info from.

On the matter of anti-virus, I believe for me at least, the performance benefits of going without, outweigh the risks of getting a virus. Worst case scenario, I get some sort of malware. I reinstall, do a clean scan of my whole pc, maybe delete any backed up installers just in case and get everything from scratch again. This has happened to me once in the last 15 years and this was due to someone else using my pc. I have nothing critical on my pc, if I did, then I would definitely be using anti-virus.

I wouldn't either tell anyone who wasn't already using it, to use it, nor would I attempt to convince anyone else to stop using it.

• Like 1

This probably by design. If you can't opt-out of updates for security reasons, then why would they let you run with no AV?

On the other hand, why would there be an option to fully disable Windows Defender?

Oh and I have had some false positives pop up, it's just plain annoying.

I'm not sure why you're trying to disable it? If you don't use AV, that's fine (I don't either), but Windows Defender is lightweight, and hasn't caused me any issues yet in letting it run.

• Like 2

If you read the text in Defender next to the option to disable real time protection it says if it is disabled for a while it will automatically be turned on again.

You should be able to disable it via the Group Policy editor though. Are you sure this is not working? Which GP are you editing?

post-540612-0-35372200-1437314006.jpg

On the other hand, why would there be an option to fully disable Windows Defender?

This would not be the first time MS left something in that was half-baked.

Editing the group policy manually seems to have worked (Turn off windows defender)

All of the switch options have been totally greyed out.

Now just to get rid of the annoying action centre notifications, can't see a way to do that at all...

post-77407-0-23288600-1437322370.png

I wonder if someone could create some null antivirus software so windows thinks you have something installed, both disabling Windows Defender and hiding the notification too.

Though this in it's self could be, in the wrong hands, quite dangerous in itself :s

I wonder if someone could create some null antivirus software so windows thinks you have something installed, both disabling Windows Defender and hiding the notification too.

Though this in it's self could be, in the wrong hands, quite dangerous in itself :s

Better option is to let Defender run or get a REAL AV and be done with it

As long as you have UAC turned on it wouldn't be any different from installing any other AV since you need to be admin to install software like that.

On the contrary, aside from some early niggles, I'm very pleased as to how it's turned out. I expect windows/driver updates to rectify most problems I have (which are admittedly small).

I will try the group policy change as advised by Max Norris and report back. I did previously attempt a registry edit that should basically do the same thing, but perhaps the keys have changed from the article that I got the info from.

On the matter of anti-virus, I believe for me at least, the performance benefits of going without, outweigh the risks of getting a virus. Worst case scenario, I get some sort of malware. I reinstall, do a clean scan of my whole pc, maybe delete any backed up installers just in case and get everything from scratch again. This has happened to me once in the last 15 years and this was due to someone else using my pc. I have nothing critical on my pc, if I did, then I would definitely be using anti-virus.

I wouldn't either tell anyone who wasn't already using it, to use it, nor would I attempt to convince anyone else to stop using it.

So what performance benefits have you had through not running an AV?  Is your PC so old that you would actually notice a slow down from using an AV?

Do you really think there's a lot of demand for compromising the safety of your system? :|

Okay everyone I hate to be "that guy" but OP asked how to disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 not for a dozen posts telling him doing so is stupid or pointless or whatever.

He asked a specific question, if you can't answer it would you mind not repeating what several people before you have already said if it does not add to the thread. Thanks.

Do you really think there's a lot of demand for compromising the safety of your system? :|

There isn't a lot of demand to make your desktop icons semi transparent, but theres an application that allows you to do that easily.

Okay everyone I hate to be "that guy" but OP asked how to disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 not for a dozen posts telling him doing so is stupid or pointless or whatever.

He asked a specific question, if you can't answer it would you mind not repeating what several people before you have already said if it does not add to the thread. Thanks.

So yeah, made it permanently disabled via gpedit.msc, there's just apparently no way to get rid of the warning.

• Like 2

Hello,

You should report the "false positives" to Microsoft immediatelyWhile Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials/System Center Endpoint Protection may not be known for their high detection rates, they are well recognized for having extremely low false-positives rates.  The fact that you've had more than one false positive is extremely, extremely rare.

At the very least, upload the files to a multi-engine scanning service like Google's VirusTotal or OPSWAT's Metascan and see what they report.  If you could post the resulting URLs that would be interesting to look at, as well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky