Windows XP too complex for Home users..

When you think to all its network capabilities, the services and all the other thing from NT, its far too complex for usual home user (the kind of people that only want a computer for CHHAATING, checking their HOTMAIL (not email since email and hotmail aren't the same thing...lol) or to hold their cup of coffee with the CD-ROM tray).

It depends.... I am teaching my GF how to use a computer (Goddam she is hardwork) N I think XP is easier to teach someone else to use than previous versions.

Its just the little things i guess.

I think as long as it is set up properly, then it is easy enough for the novice to use, but with enough to play with for the more advanced users. I think i am somewhere in the middle! Playin around with it, then restarting hopin it all still loads!!! ROFL :D

p.s. XP looks nicer than win2k (I got bored of Battleship Grey after win 95 n 98!!)

p.p.s I thought Blackcomb was gonna be NT6? Dunno though.

@JMA_PN

Are you kidding ? Thats just rubbish. Home Edition is very user friendly. Its infested with tooltips and help balloons everywhere. Nevermind the architecture, geez, thats all hidden away under the hood. It has wizards for just about everything, and im sure the average home user isnt going to be too concerned with networking anywayso will likely just leave it alone. It being "too complex" is not going to be an issue because its a feature they have no use for.

Just my two cents...

greetz

How do you mean complex. Windows XP shields users from the complex issues of configuration, but gives them speed and stability that you just don't get with Windows 9x.

Windows XP is Windows NT 5.1

im pretty sure the average home user wont care what winxp comes with nor will they know how to fix their computer when all the services it has automatically turned on and programs it has in the startup of msconfig makes their computer run butt ass slow so yeah it probably is a little complex...it'd be nice for them if throughout all the help and annoying ballon infos they included somethin that said "hey if all the crap services and programs your computer vendor may have loaded is slowing you down click here to fix it!"

Originally posted by JMA_PN

When you think to all its network capabilities, the services and all the other thing from NT, its far too complex for usual home user (the kind of people that only want a computer for CHHAATING, checking their HOTMAIL (not email since email and hotmail aren't the same thing...lol) or to hold their cup of coffee with the CD-ROM tray).

PS: I don't say that Windows XP, 2000 or NT4 are complex for Power Users.

PPS: Who need XP when you can have Win2k?

PPPS: Can we say NT6 for XP?

what casual home user would be installing xp pro on their machine anyways?

XP Home is about as dumbed down as you can get.

I agree with all of you in certain way (it pretty easy to use(the easiest)). It just... NT is too sofisticated for Home Users.

how exactly do you figure that a kernel is too sophisticated for home users?

I just wanted to say that NT can do so much while Home User want to do simple thing. So much of the NT Technologie is unused. :(

true

XP is SO simple! You plugin a network and it assigns all the IP's and everything AUTOMATICALLY. You run wizards for sharing files and internet connections.

And I hate people saying that the users won't understand all the services... do you really think Explorer was the only thing running on 9x? All the 'services' were just hidden.

XP crashes less... it has a dog to help you search for files.... it has a simple blue interface that is designed to be easy to use, not to be used by the Power User.

I would agree about the comment that toasters are too complicated for most home users! The most common complaint... people don't know where their games are installed to.... does nobody read/care where is gets installed?!? LOL.

i disagree. the great thing about xp is the fact that by default, its task oriented and really easy to get around... wizards and simple menus get you anywhere you need to go. but, it's also complex enough for even the experienced user. xp caters to everone - easy to learn, but still pretty powerful under the hood.

Umm... I don't know and can't see how anyone can find WindowsXP hard to use. The O/S is pretty much intuitive. Even if the person don't know jack, just sitting there toying with it, the person will figure out quite a lot. Pro or Home. And the complocated parts of XP Pro... well, the user, if s/he don't know how to use it, don't matter anyways.