want to "convert" my pc to a media center-ish

I have a pc that I want to mainly use it in the living to watch Youtube and Netflix videos, and other content. It's capable and runs Win8.1 Pro and will upgrade to win 10. I want to maintain the computing capabilities as I might run some programs in the background, for example, simulators or MatLab.

I'd like to also remotely access and control the pc.

Other than the simplicity of hooking it to a TV, surf and click to play videos, anything else I should do/consider?

If you're going to really use it as a Media Center, you should look into J River Media Center.  It's what I use for my music and videos.  You can also purchase a Media Center receiver with a remote and control the program on your TV (if it's connected to your PC - mine is).  I bought the HP Media Center receiver and remote, and it works perfectly.

Depending on the TV set, you could use the PC as a media server. For that, the TV set should be able to connect to the same network as the PC and have software for accessing media servers over the network. Install a media server on the PC and you're good to go.

This setup has both goods and bads. The goods are that you can work at your PC while media is playing on the TV set independently. It can even serve more than one TV set at a time. The bad is that the video quality due to possible transcode may not be so great.