Will Microsoft offer us free ISOs for every version of Windows 10? (Core,Home,Pro,Enterprise)

Of course. They'll probably do what they do with 8.1 and 7... you stick a key in and it spits out a download.

This. You won't be able to go to the MS site and just download an ISO, you'll have to put in a CD key and then you'll get a download link to the ISO which corrisponds to the version of windows that can be activated using your key.

How will the CD key be distributed?

What key? I upgraded from Windows 8.1 and never entered a Windows 10 key. Windows 8.1 is tied to my Microsoft Account, so it already knew I was entitled to the free upgrade. I then did a clean install of Windows 10 (10240), logged in to my account, and once again, no key was needed. Activated fine.

Hello,

If Microsoft follows past practices, they will probably distribute .ISOS via MSDN.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2

MS already has a system in place where if you have a *retail* key, you can enter it and it will give you the correct ISO back.

It will NOT work with OEM keys, or MSDN/TechNet keys. For those you need to be a subscriber and download there, or, you know, somewhere else.

This also will not let you just enter in a 7/8 key and get a download of the Windows 10 ISO.. for that you need to install 7/8 and go through the upgrade..

If you're upgrading it will be based on the version you're currently running (and have activated). ex: 8.1 Home will upgrade to 10 Home, Pro will upgrade to Pro, etc.

So this presents a curious question:

If a system has no working operating system (IE: Drive crashed), how will the reinstall procedure work?

Let's assume that there's never been a Microsoft account associated with the PC, which has a valid OEM Windows 8 license. (And what if it's a retail license? Windows 7?)

It would be a bit (lot) of an annoyance having to reinstall the previous version of Windows then having to update to 10 (either via ISO or WU)...

This. You won't be able to go to the MS site and just download an ISO, you'll have to put in a CD key and then you'll get a download link to the ISO which corrisponds to the version of windows that can be activated using your key.

No, You are completely wrong! You will not get an ISO download link or a key. This is an UPGRADE offer. So You must have a legit copy of either Windows 7 (SP1) or Windows 8.1. Some time before July29 Windows will begin to download the pieces for the upgrade. So AFTER July 29 you will be noticed that you can begin the upgrade. You will NOT need a key in the upgrade process. Your legit key for Win7/Win8.1 will be evaluated, and if it passes you will have a full activated copy of Windows 10. If your key is not legit you will get a watermark and after some time yor Windows 10 copy will expire and you have to buy a copy of Windows 10. THERE WILL BE NO KEY, NO PHONE ACTIVATION, NO SCRIPT TO ACTIVATE THE UPGRADE. THIS IS AN UPGRADE AND NOT AN ISO OR RETAIL. If you want a key for Windows 10 you must buy a copy. If you want to do a clean install there will be a RTM ISO available. BUT FIRST YOU HAVE TO DO THE UPGRADE TO ACTIVATE YOUR COPY on the device you want to upgrade. SO to all af you who think you can fool Microsoft and get a free copy without upgrading or follow the Insider program. STOP your nonsense. You MUST do the UPGRADE if you want this free offer. There is no other way. PERIOD!

MS already has a system in place where if you have a *retail* key, you can enter it and it will give you the correct ISO back.

It will NOT work with OEM keys, or MSDN/TechNet keys. For those you need to be a subscriber and download there, or, you know, somewhere else.

This also will not let you just enter in a 7/8 key and get a download of the Windows 10 ISO.. for that you need to install 7/8 and go through the upgrade..

Ther will be NO KEY for the upgrade. Your existing legit key for Win 7/Win8.1 will be used to activate the upgrade. There will be a RTM ISO available. But you can only do a clean install AFTER the upgrade and you will not get a key. You can only do a clean install on the device you upgraded. So you will not be prompted to put in a key. It will be activated automatically.

How will the CD key be distributed?

No key! Absolutely not. This is an upgrade offer and not a free gift from Microsoft to get a key.

Ther will be NO KEY for the upgrade. Your existing legit key for Win 7/Win8.1 will be used to activate the upgrade. There will be a RTM ISO available. But you can only do a clean install AFTER the upgrade and you will not get a key. You can only do a clean install on the device you upgraded. So you will not be prompted to put in a key. It will be activated automatically.

No key! Absolutely not. This is an upgrade offer and not a free gift from Microsoft to get a key.

Oh sorry mr microsoft I didn't see you there...

On the highly likely chance you're not microsoft: [citation needed], thanks.

So this presents a curious question:

If a system has no working operating system (IE: Drive crashed), how will the reinstall procedure work?

Let's assume that there's never been a Microsoft account associated with the PC, which has a valid OEM Windows 8 license. (And what if it's a retail license? Windows 7?)

It would be a bit (lot) of an annoyance having to reinstall the previous version of Windows then having to update to 10 (either via ISO or WU)...

! You can do a clean install as long as it's on the same device you upgraded from. It doesn't matter if your existing key is OEM or Retail. If you want to upgrade or not it is your choise. This is an offer to upgrade your existing OS. If you decline you can use your existing OS until it expires.

Oh sorry mr microsoft I didn't see you there...

On the highly likely chance you're not microsoft: [citation needed], thanks.

I am, and from everything I've heard, he is correct.

• Like 2

Of course. They'll probably do what they do with 8.1 and 7... you stick a key in and it spits out a download.

Rubbish! This is an upgrade offer and not a gift with a free key.

I am, and from everything I've heard, he is correct.

It might be correct for upgrade keys, but no-where in the topic was an upgrade mentioned, from the first post it can quite obviously be assumed they were talking about a retail key.

So if the new upgrade is tied to a particular account it begs the question, what happens when you sell the system as the new owner no longer has access to your account?

Ergo are they now unlicensed and are they required to purchase a new license if they continue to use Windows?

• Like 1

Let's take a long breath first.

Do you guys know that MS had a special way to offer the Windows to Insiders,on their site,don't you?

Will this happen with RTM or not?

Simple as that.

For insiders I believe the plan is that come the 29th they will post RTM isos for the version you opted for on the insiders website.  For me that ended up being Pro.

For everyone else you will only be able to download directly from Microsoft if you got a retail license for a full copy.  Not an upgrade.  If you want to do a clean install during the upgrade process you may have an option to tell it how much data to keep (it is there during the install from dvd/flash drive).  If you select No Data then it will backup your install to a Windows.old folder and install clean.  You will only have a few leftover folders to cleanup if you installed stuff outside the normal locations as it won't touch those items (usually).

For insiders I believe the plan is that come the 29th they will post RTM isos for the version you opted for on the insiders website.  For me that ended up being Pro.

For everyone else you will only be able to download directly from Microsoft if you got a retail license for a full copy.  Not an upgrade.  If you want to do a clean install during the upgrade process you may have an option to tell it how much data to keep (it is there during the install from dvd/flash drive).  If you select No Data then it will backup your install to a Windows.old folder and install clean.  You will only have a few leftover folders to cleanup if you installed stuff outside the normal locations as it won't touch those items (usually).

From what the FAQ states, for everyone that's not an insider you'll be forced to complete an upgrade (whether you chose to keep data or not). It'll be installed on top of your previous version of Windows, and is therefore an upgrade.

Once that's completed, you can then complete a clean install (wiping the C drive) and not having any remnants of a previous install. This can happen as many times as you like but only on the device that it was originally installed. How they determine you're still installing it on the same device is what I'd like to know. 

It might be correct for upgrade keys, but no-where in the topic was an upgrade mentioned, from the first post it can quite obviously be assumed they were talking about a retail key.

Yeah, I've got a retail copy of 8, when I upgrade to 10 how do I go about doing a completely clean install? (When I eventually replace my PC)

Edit: I presume it's going to be handled via the activation servers actually, you upgrade to 10 and it activates 10 with your existing 7/8 key, then the next time you install you enter your existing key and it uses that. Also jives with what MS said about rolling back to 7/8, activating it would wipe out the 10 activation state for that key.

Yeah, I've got a retail copy of 8, when I upgrade to 10 how do I go about doing a completely clean install? (When I eventually replace my PC)

Edit: I presume it's going to be handled via the activation servers actually, you upgrade to 10 and it activates 10 with your existing 7/8 key, then the next time you install you enter your existing key and it uses that. Also jives with what MS said about rolling back to 7/8, activating it would wipe out the 10 activation state for that key.

I've been wondering the same thing and from their FAQ, it's not very clear. 

"Yes. Once you

What makes you assume that?  No type of key is mentioned at all in the OP.

Most likely its going to be like how they did recently with Windows 8. They allowed anyone to download the media creation tool. The tool lets you select which OS to download. If you start the windows install from that install media or windows update its going to look for the activation tokens of the current install. If they are there it activates. No key needed. Once you have installed and its activated you can blow it away with a format and reinstall if you want.