Why should I get another Windows Phone?

I have been using the Nokia Lumia 920 for almost three years.

I knew that Windows Phone didn't have nearly as many apps as does Android and iOS, but I am deeply engrained in the Microsoft ecosystem.

I waited to upgrade to Nokia McLaren, only to find out it was cancelled.

I didn't know what to upgrade to, so I just hanged on to my Nokia Lumia 920.

I watched as Microsoft brings its apps that were previously exclusive to Windows Phone to iOS and Android.

I watched as Microsoft released apps for iOS and Android that aren't available for Windows Phone.

I didn't watch any longer.

Now tell me, why should I buy another Windows Phone?

• Like 2

I was a major Windows Phone fan having started using them with Windows Mobile 5 and was also deeply invested in the Microsoft ecosystem. At one point I had 4 Windows Phones or so before I jumped ship. I was writing apps for the platform and trying to see it move forward. I jumped off the ship when Windows Phone 8 hit. 2 major reboots was enough for me to give up on their ability to get back into mobile well. Here we are at 3 reboots and no end to the reboots in sight.

My opinion, give it up and move to a platform that delivers for you. You can always switch back if Microsoft ever offers a compelling reason to do so. But there isn't any reason for you to keep waiting and losing out. Let yourself be guided by fulfilling your needs and not by loyalty to any company. Not unless that company is putting the food on your table.

• Like 3

You're asking the wrong site here...the people here are heavily biased. All the platforms have their pros/cons, try them out, and see what works best for you. The nice thing about Microsoft is you get quality apps on iOS and Android, so you have options.

• Like 3

I used to think that being on Windows Phone means that I'll always be one of the first to get first rated apps from Microsoft.

I used to think that somehow it was okay to have fewer apps and fewer quality apps as long as I get all the good apps from Microsoft.

I think that no longer.

Perhaps it is time to move on: that Microsoft's apps are better on competitors' platforms that on its own is a big slap on the face.

• Like 2

You truly have to play with iOS and Android people making up your mind which one. I definitely recommend a real android device like the Nexus series or Google Play Edition. It will be the purest version of android  you fine and imo the best. You can add all the launchers and stuff you want on it, but it comes from the factory the way google intended android to be. I wish more manufacturers quit putting their ###### on their phones. Phones like the LG G4 would be great phones if it wasnt for all the crap LG puts on their.

The Moto X is another phone thats almost bare minimum, motorola has done a great job recently providing a phone people like / love with almost the purest version of android to come from a manufacturer.

Perhaps Microsoft needs to realize that a platform cannot survive if its most loyal fans are leaving.

You truly have to play with iOS and Android people making up your mind which one. I definitely recommend a real android device like the Nexus series or Google Play Edition. It will be the purest version of android  you fine and imo the best. You can add all the launchers and stuff you want on it, but it comes from the factory the way google intended android to be. I wish more manufacturers quit putting their ###### on their phones. Phones like the LG G4 would be great phones if it wasnt for all the crap LG puts on their.

The Moto X is another phone thats almost bare minimum, motorola has done a great job recently providing a phone people like / love with almost the purest version of android to come from a manufacturer.

I haven't try Android in a while. My girlfriend has an iPhone 6 and I do like it.

The Microsoft's apps on iOS are excellent and I do wonder what else am I missing out.

You shouldn't

You hoped for greatness and MS brining innovation to the table to make for a more personalised and powerful smart phone experience. 

You watched as the platform became just like everything else except with a focus on the low end and still with an app problem that years on still hasn't been solved.

You cried as MS continued to release its own apps on every other platform first

You died when Bethesda laughed at if Fall Out Shelter would come to windows phone.

You were deceived.

• Like 1

I'd think illegaloperation that, I'd try to get a windows 10 phone. I overall liked the OS from testing the preview builds and I think they'll add finesse to the windows phone systems by the windows 10 unicode that allows for gaming from our PC to phone  Ithink they said in January of this year. play X game on Pc and then play it on your phone and pick up where you left off. that's cool.

the settings screen seems to be better organized and simplified overall. the homescreen will be basically the same which is no biggie or game killer for windows phone. I just think MSFT is helpless or clueless on marketing their own phones. perhaps they need to hire a firm more inclined at marketing. perhaps a media blitz on TV commercials like windows 10 for PC and make them interlocking so people can connect the dots on how windows 10 will be a bonus across the systems.

In the old days, we all thought that Windows was an ecosystem and Mac's were an ecosystem. Looking back you could debate whether this was true.

Today, it's not the OS that's the ecosystem.

With Universal Apps, Microsoft is attempting to bring this back. But the fact that there are cross-platform apps today means that the "ecosystem" is not bound to the OS.

I am on Android but have a Microsoft Account. I use OneDrive, Outlook, and OneNote primarily, but also have Word and Excel.

I AM IN THE MICROSOFT ECOSYSTEM!  

In fact, I would argue that if you are using Windows Phone and don't' have a Microsoft account, I"m more in the Microsoft ecosystem than you are.

The ecosystem is not about live tiles. It's about what apps your using and what cloud drive your using.

Hang on til 10 comes out officially... The first party apps on the phone, even in their incomplete state, are streets ahead of what was available on 8.1.  I don't give a flip about the stupid hamburger button, it works fine and hasn't bothered my workflow at all. 

I know that I personally haven't been as happy with the state of the platform with 8 and 8.1. I loved 7.5 and other than a few new features, 8 and 8.1 felt like a bit of step back.  With 10 I feel like it's gotten its old vibe back. 

I've got an android phone and I'm not a fan...the msft apps are alright but the homescreen gives me fits and I prefer the "flow" that wp10 has, absolutely.

If 10 doesn't make you happy with its UX alone, then find greener pastures. :)

As stated above , you shouldn't. Stop waiting on Microsoft to deliver the goods. They've been at this for a while now. It's like your beautiful ex that you never wanted to let go because of so much potential and promises of a wonderful future. Reality smacks you in the face, you move on; way to many fishes in the sea. There are too many options in phones and two incredible platforms out there to keep waisting time on Microsoft.

• Like 2

I left Windows Phone a few months ago for Android and haven't looked back. I still have my Windows Phone, have Windows Phone 10 on it and I still hate it, and not because of any of the bugs, but because it doesn't fix many core issues in Windows Phone.

I remember when Microsoft fanboys told me to hold on until Windows Phone 8.1, since it was going to be a huge update that would change Windows Phone. I believed them.

I used to laugh at this ad and call it FUD, but I find it becoming more true the more I distance myself from Microsoft.

I have the same question, illegaloperation, but I'm going to wait until WP10 is officially released until I make a decision. Worst case, every other flagship is released too, so I'll have some good choices.

I am on Android but have a Microsoft Account. I use OneDrive, Outlook, and OneNote primarily, but also have Word and Excel.

So true. My primary devices are the iPhone 6 and Galaxy Note. However, all of my accounts are connected in some way to Microsoft.

You shouldn't

You hoped for greatness and MS brining innovation to the table to make for a more personalised and powerful smart phone experience. 

You watched as the platform became just like everything else except with a focus on the low end and still with an app problem that years on still hasn't been solved.

You cried as MS continued to release its own apps on every other platform first

You died when Bethesda laughed at if Fall Out Shelter would come to windows phone.

You were deceived.

That's how I feel! :angry:  

In the old days, we all thought that Windows was an ecosystem and Mac's were an ecosystem. Looking back you could debate whether this was true.

Today, it's not the OS that's the ecosystem.

With Universal Apps, Microsoft is attempting to bring this back. But the fact that there are cross-platform apps today means that the "ecosystem" is not bound to the OS.

In fact, I would argue that if you are using Windows Phone and don't' have a Microsoft account, I"m more in the Microsoft ecosystem than you are.

The ecosystem is not about live tiles. It's about what apps your using and what cloud drive your using.

And exactly how is Microsoft expecting this to work?

In the 90s, Apple didn't say "since we can't sell our computers, we should be bringing our best stuff to the competing platform"

And exactly how is Microsoft expecting this to work?

In the 90s, Apple didn't say "since we can't sell our computers, we should be bringing our best stuff to the competing platform"

No, Apple didn't say that. And Apple got their clock cleaned by Microsoft.

Apple had some great hardware and a great OS but, just like today, people go where the apps are. Windows was where the apps were. In reality, it never really was about the platform. It's always been about the apps.

So it is today. It's where the apps are. The real loss of Windows Phone to Microsoft will be the app store. If they adopt Android as their platform, Google gets the app store. That's their real loss. Granted, it's a big one, but that's it.

I have been using the Nokia Lumia 920 for almost three years.

I knew that Windows Phone didn't have nearly as many apps as does Android and iOS, but I am deeply engrained in the Microsoft ecosystem.

I waited to upgrade to Nokia McLaren, only to find out it was cancelled.

I didn't know what to upgrade to, so I just hanged on to my Nokia Lumia 920.

I watched as Microsoft brings its apps that were previously exclusive to Windows Phone to iOS and Android.

I watched as Microsoft released apps for iOS and Android that aren't available for Windows Phone.

I didn't watch any longer.

You shouldn't.

Life's too short to perish under one company waiting for things to happen. Always keep moving towards the best one. No hate towards Microsoft, but they just don't know how to create an eye pleasing operating system dipped in liquid diamond, which people will call magical.

Not really, even though the "universal apps" golden ticket is flawed. MS are hoping you like the universal app experience on your Windows desktop so much you'll want to use the same app in exactly the same way on your Windows tablet / phone rather than a slightly different looking app on your Android or iOS devices. The problem in this is why would people be wanting to use apps on a desktop PC over legacy applications or a web site in a fully functioning browser? Had Microsoft advanced the modern interface with more powerful apps, example a decent file manager then apps might seem to have some relevance to the OS but instead they've shoved the new touch UI into the 20 year old interface which they've been trying to show as touch capable since 2001..... :? MS know they're not going to have an instant rush of phone or tablet sales under any circumstances (except maybe giving them away) which is why apps are available for Android and iOS, but if they were really wanting people to continue on those platforms they really should be shutting down the phone division.

As to the OP I feel the WP pain, since late 2012 I've had 2 flagships the 920 and 930 non carrier banded and I don't know if I can put up with another. I'll wait for the full release of W10m but I'm really not liking what I'm seeing currently and given I'm not rushing to update desktop or tablets I won't find the "unity" MS is expecting everyone to love. Android is looking much slicker these days and their "material" concept sure seems like a rip of what MS were attempting but they're actually doing it in a (seemingly) smarter way.

• 3 weeks later...

Still, let me ask the people recommending Android why YOU are using Android?  Because it's where your connections are?  (That is why I'm there - remember, I got my Android tablet as a gift; I didn't buy it.)  Word of mouth?  Cost/price?  You predate Windows Phone?  (Android has been in the tablet space far longer than Windows Phone - in fact, Windows Phone is not really in the tablet space at all; full-size Windows, and RT before that, are in that space.  There are no Lumia tablets - in fact, name one Lumia device that qualifies as a phablet - yes; I'm including the 640XL.)  And, in addition to ALL the reasons I've outlined above, there is STILL a large "anyone BUT Microsoft" when it comes to non-computer-related hardware.  (How many of you bought a Sony, Nintendo, or insert-console-brand-name-here because it was NOT from Microsoft?)

I have nothing against Android as a platform.  (See my own mini-review of the Lenovo A7-30 in the Android subforum.)  However, to be honest, I would NOT have bought one with my own money - which I admitted in the mini-review itself.  However, iPads (which i have used) are too pricey, and there is a decided lack of Windows Phone-based phablets - and there definitely is NOT a Lumia in the phablet space - or even the tablet space.  (I was a Neowinian that suggested that the aborted Surface mini should have been a Lumia.)  How many Android tablets and phablets are there?  How many sell compare to phones?  (The majority of devices in Google's Android One initiative are not JUST smartphones - nearly half are phablets.  Visual Land - an OEM that goes heads-up against Android One in Asian and Indian markets - and also sells in the United States - doesn't even DO smartphones; they do tablets and phablets exclusively.  Lenovo - which sells SOME smartphones in Asia and India, also is more heavily into smartphones and phablets; the Tab 2 is, in fact, a lineup of mostly-phablets - only the F can be even somewhat seen as a tablet.  (And even the F is based on the case and other features of the uncommon-in-North America phablet GC and HC - why would the F have a mini-SIM slot otherwise, being as it is wireless-only?)  That is why I think the REAL reason that Windows Mobile (as a platform) is dismissed is due to a lack of tablets and phablets.

Still, let me ask the people recommending Android why YOU are using Android?  Because it's where your connections are?  (That is why I'm there - remember, I got my Android tablet as a gift; I didn't buy it.)  Word of mouth?  Cost/price?  You predate Windows Phone?  (Android has been in the tablet space far longer than Windows Phone - in fact, Windows Phone is not really in the tablet space at all; full-size Windows, and RT before that, are in that space.  There are no Lumia tablets - in fact, name one Lumia device that qualifies as a phablet - yes; I'm including the 640XL.)  And, in addition to ALL the reasons I've outlined above, there is STILL a large "anyone BUT Microsoft" when it comes to non-computer-related hardware.  (How many of you bought a Sony, Nintendo, or insert-console-brand-name-here because it was NOT from Microsoft?)

I have nothing against Android as a platform.  (See my own mini-review of the Lenovo A7-30 in the Android subforum.)  However, to be honest, I would NOT have bought one with my own money - which I admitted in the mini-review itself.  However, iPads (which i have used) are too pricey, and there is a decided lack of Windows Phone-based phablets - and there definitely is NOT a Lumia in the phablet space - or even the tablet space.  (I was a Neowinian that suggested that the aborted Surface mini should have been a Lumia.)  How many Android tablets and phablets are there?  How many sell compare to phones?  (The majority of devices in Google's Android One initiative are not JUST smartphones - nearly half are phablets.  Visual Land - an OEM that goes heads-up against Android One in Asian and Indian markets - and also sells in the United States - doesn't even DO smartphones; they do tablets and phablets exclusively.  Lenovo - which sells SOME smartphones in Asia and India, also is more heavily into smartphones and phablets; the Tab 2 is, in fact, a lineup of mostly-phablets - only the F can be even somewhat seen as a tablet.  (And even the F is based on the case and other features of the uncommon-in-North America phablet GC and HC - why would the F have a mini-SIM slot otherwise, being as it is wireless-only?)  That is why I think the REAL reason that Windows Mobile (as a platform) is dismissed is due to a lack of tablets and phablets.

Outside of the Surface devices, which some can claim as tablets, the Lumia 2520 is there, and runs Windows RT. There are many other Windows tablets out there - Acer Iconia Tab 8, HP Stream 8, Asus Vivotab 8, Dell Venue 8 Pro. 

Why are people using Android? It's actually very simple - it's nice to have choices, and it works for them. There is no reason to persuade a person to a certain OS, or to tell them it's better or worse. Life is too short to argue about which product is better. Get over it. 

• Like 2

Outside of the Surface devices, which some can claim as tablets, the Lumia 2520 is there, and runs Windows RT. There are many other Windows tablets out there - Acer Iconia Tab 8, HP Stream 8, Asus Vivotab 8, Dell Venue 8 Pro. 

Why are people using Android? It's actually very simple - it's nice to have choices, and it works for them. There is no reason to persuade a person to a certain OS, or to tell them it's better or worse. Life is too short to argue about which product is better. Get over it. 

A Surface is NOT a Lumia; worse, the 2520 runs RT (not Windows Phone or Windows Mobile).  Net result - NO Lumias run Windows Phone/Mobile currently.

I have no horse in the debate (at least on the Windows Phone/Mobile side of things) - and I DO notice the plethora of tablets and phablets running Android - remember, my own Android device is a tablet.  If you don't provide the devices people want (as an OS vendor), you get no penetration.  Windows Phone (and Windows Mobile) have no penetration in the tablet/phablet space due to lack of devices - look at what devices are shipping NOW in that space running Windows - they are tablets, but running full-fledged Windows 10; not Mobile or Phone - not a single Lumia in the lot.

You can't purchase a WM/WP tablet if nobody will build one - and apparently not even Microsoft will build one.  That is my peeve with not JUST Microsoft, but any/all the WP/WM ODMs - they are sticking to phones.  No tablets, and no phablets, either.

A Surface is NOT a Lumia; worse, the 2520 runs RT (not Windows Phone or Windows Mobile).  Net result - NO Lumias run Windows Phone/Mobile currently.

I have no horse in the debate (at least on the Windows Phone/Mobile side of things) - and I DO notice the plethora of tablets and phablets running Android - remember, my own Android device is a tablet.  If you don't provide the devices people want (as an OS vendor), you get no penetration.  Windows Phone (and Windows Mobile) have no penetration in the tablet/phablet space due to lack of devices - look at what devices are shipping NOW in that space running Windows - they are tablets, but running full-fledged Windows 10; not Mobile or Phone - not a single Lumia in the lot.

You can't purchase a WM/WP tablet if nobody will build one - and apparently not even Microsoft will build one.  That is my peeve with not JUST Microsoft, but any/all the WP/WM ODMs - they are sticking to phones.  No tablets, and no phablets, either.

That Lumia w/ Windows RT is plenty sufficient for most people's use, but that's another story for a different time. With Windows 10 and unifying the OS (mobile + desktop), you would just need a Windows 10 tablet, which I mentioned at least four examples. The Acer/Asus/Dell/HP 8" tablets run full blown Windows, and thus Windows does and has had tablet presence since Win. 8. Of course I'm sure someone will say there were other devices that could pass off as tablets before Win. 8 timeframe. Not sure why anyone would want a tablet running Windows Phone - it certainly wasn't designed for it. Phablets are a different story - this is a general problem of not enough (variety) of WP devices. 

I am deeply ingrained in the microsoft ecosystem also.  I use outlook for email, onedrive for storage, onenote, etc...  However, I own apple devices.  With microsoft concentrating on making their products cross-platform and doing a great job at it, I don't see a reason to have a windows phone anymore.

I am deeply ingrained in the microsoft ecosystem also.  I use outlook for email, onedrive for storage, onenote, etc...  However, I own apple devices.  With microsoft concentrating on making their products cross-platform and doing a great job at it, I don't see a reason to have a windows phone anymore.

The issue I see is that there is a general bias against niche Windows in general - why else are Windows tablets running full-blown Windows (as opposed to Windows Mobile) and RT's failure in the same space?  Android and iOS, however, are not full-blown OSes (Android COULD be; however, it is being deliberately gimped to not compete heads-up against Windows 10 directly).  It's not that there is no interest in either tablets or phablets - look at the Samsung Galaxy Note "series", for example.  (I mentioned the Lenovo Tab 2 earlier.)  Why all the tablets and phablets - yet not so much as ONE is running Windows Mobile?  Full-tilt Windows - yes; but not Windows Mobile.  The question has to be asked, and especially of the ODMs - why not?  I'm asking the question of the userbase - why lack of interest in Windows Mobile (and RT before that)?  You are willing to force full-blown Windows to compete against Android and iOS, and you ALSO refused to accept RT (complaining it was too underpowered and wimpy) - I'm actually wondering if there is a deliberate attempt to FORCE Microsoft to fail.