Why should I get another Windows Phone?

Fight for the underdog!

Seriously, I'm pretty happy with the range of capabilities (aside from apps for stores and such) on my 822, which was free to me and I will be upgrading when the 950 series comes out. I think the future of Windows Continuum holds a lot of promise. There rare definitely places where it lacks, but when I'm asked to fix people's iPhones and Androids, I just find them awkward. But the WP syncs well with other MS platform products... better than Google and Apple's web stuff, IMHO.

So if the Continuum project works out, I think it will be a huge gain. If not... I'm not going to give up without having the experience. If you want, wait a month.

I have a Lumia 928.  It was great when I bought it, but I am not loving Windows 10 on it.  Why? It is painfully sloooooow.  And the start screen crashes a lot, on a loop, leaving me to launch apps by searching for them via Cortana.  But it is a beta OS, so we shall see.  Either way, it is obvious that what I have is no longer sufficient.  I want a larger screen, too; 5.5-6" would be much nicer.  So I am in the same boat, and it is a really tough call.  AoW is really making the decision harder, though.  I am now unemployed and I will have to buy a new phone out of pocket, so I have the forced luxury of having to wait several months yet before I can upgrade my phone.  This gives me time to see how Windows 10 mobile shapes up and to see how attractive the Lumia 940 (950) XL is, or I may even wait until the Surface Phone, if it materializes.  I like the way Windows Phone works.  But I have a lot of experience with Android, too, because I have a Nook HD+ that I've been running Cyanogenmod on pretty much since I got it, up to version 12 now.  Xiaomi is making some damned attractive phones for cheap as hell, and I don't even care that I'd only get 3g with them because I'm always on wifi.  So, here's my list of pros for each:

Windows Phone/10 Mobile:
-Stay with the Windows ecosystem
-Keep access to all the apps I have already purchased for Windows
-Run most Android apps with a little effort, though some won't run or have minor glitches (I really only absolutely care about one app, actually, a game that will probably never come to Windows but which runs perfectly on Windows 10 Mobile via AoW, but the phone I have isn't powerful enough to run it at full speed--the rest of my Android apps would be nice to have, but I have survived just fine not having them on my phone for years now)

Android:
-Extremely customizable
-High quality hardware available for much cheaper if you know where to look
-Access to most Microsoft services, including Cortana

So the question is, do I want to bring my Android apps to a newer Windows Phone or bring Microsoft services to an Android phone?  Until recently my stance has been that Android had no place being on phones to begin with and was best suited to tablets, but as Microsoft has consistently let me down with WIndows Phone over the years and Android has improved considerably it is becoming a very difficult choice and I am becoming more jaded.  I just might be ready to jump off the Microsoft bandwagon.  I almost considered going to Jolla for a while, but they didn't take off like I expected they would and the only phone they have has too small a screen for my liking.

As "exciting" as Continuum is, that feature isn't factored into my list because I really don't care about it at all.  When my phone is powerful enough and has enough storage to replace my desktop, high-end graphics card and all, then I will be more excited about having a pocket-sized PC.  In the meantime it's more of a novelty and will remain so unless I get a job where I might actually use it and it becomes useful.

Edited by Darrian

Android: Never even once.

If windows doesn't work out i'm going to apple. I'm not going to a platform designed to collect every ounce of information on me and sell it. I don't trust any of google's business.

• Like 2

I've already had enough.  Loved my Lumia 1020, but it's power plug has started to fail (cables fall out, won't charge sometimes).  There isn't anything new from Microsoft right now.. but I need to upgrade quite soon.

This also rules out the OnePlus Two, too much waiting.  I think the Moto X Play might be my next phone, should be available in a week or so in AUS, has bigger battery I want, 1080p screen I want, and all those apps my Lumia can't get.

I will continue to monitor the progress of Windows Phone, I like the OS, I will keep my Lumia 1020 updated to the latest preview build of 10.  I might even run a WinPhone style launcher on my Android device. 

One last comment.. I'd rather an appless poorly functioning alpha OS WinPhone than one of those springboard overpriced iTunes gimmick guzzling Apple Phones! ARRRGG!

I agree with the fact that the App Store is absolutely not up to par with competing platforms; yet for the time being I stick with Windows Phone because the apps for the major services I use are there (Facebook; Twitter; Skype etc) and I really like the user experience and the UI. Simple as that.

but I am deeply engrained in the Microsoft ecosystem.

As someone who is not locked to any one OS i'm curious what part of the Microsoft Ecosystem can you get on Windows Phone that you can't on another platform?

• I have an Xbox, the Xbox Apps are available on other platforms.
  • Mobile versions of Office are available on other platforms.
  • OneDrive apps are available on other platforms.
  • Even Cortana is not just on Windows Phone now.

I'd honestly say use what works best for you, you dont need to be 100% Microsoft or 100% Apple like a lot of people are.

I'm Microsoft on the desktop PC, I use Office 365 and I have an Xbox. However i use Dropbox for cloud storage, the Macbook Air is my laptop of choice and an Android device is my mobile device. Finally I use Google Chrome as it was the first browser to sync between Windows, OSX, and Android.

A mixture of products and services from various companies can work very well, this gives you a much greater exposure to what's out there too.

• Like 2

before I got my 930 for price I couldn't say no to last year, I too was thinking of jumping ship. Problem was, which ship? Android was either HTC or Sony, and Samsung I dislike touchwiz so much I wouldn't even be paid to use them. Apple was the other choice obviously.

However even now, choices feel more limited. HTC blew the M9 and what the hell is Sony doing these days? LG seems like a good choice these days or maybe a nexus device, if google have regained their minds, like the nexus 5. But android hasn't really enamoured much recently, and decent updates, which at least my Lumia has received and the sragefright issue still make be wary of OEM support on these phones.

If anything I might have to bite the bullet and go Apple. Microsoft, Apple and Google are all devils I know. Just that Microsoft seemed like the better of the 3.

That's how I feel! :angry:  

And exactly how is Microsoft expecting this to work?

In the 90s, Apple didn't say "since we can't sell our computers, we should be bringing our best stuff to the competing platform"

It's not the 90s anymore.

I would... Why, I was an ANDROID phone user for 8 years and I finally said one day. Enough is enough. I cannot stand using Android devices anymore. So I switch to a Windows Phone and I would never go back to Android. Android is full of security flaws and holes which Google are aware of and yet, they won't fix them. I could explain all about the security flaws and major issues with Android all day long but I would get bored.

At the end of the day you choose what devise is suitable for your everyday use. If you want games galore and full your devise up with endless apps which you will never actually use then buy and Android. If you want a stable phone that doesn't install tones of cr** on your phone then buy a Windows Phones. I have had both and I would never use an Android phone ever again. Android OS is terrible. It's unstable and unreliable, not only that for reasons I have never worked out. Each Android devise I have owned has always at some point out of the blue... Restarted for no reason.

The only true reliable Android devise that I would recommend is an HTC. I have owned one and it was the best Android devise that I have ever owned, but the biggest issue here is rolling out OS updates is slow and painful. And even though your devise will be on the list. Google or the devise manufacturer will pull the plug because of issues with the OS on their devise. That is the bit that suc** the most.

Again it is your choice you pick whatever devise you want. Pick one which is...

1. Suitable for everyday use
2. Battery life
3. Style, look and feel
4. Package contents
5 Special offer on devise

As someone who is not locked to any one OS i'm curious what part of the Microsoft Ecosystem can you get on Windows Phone that you can't on another platform?

• I have an Xbox, the Xbox Apps are available on other platforms.
  • Mobile versions of Office are available on other platforms.
  • OneDrive apps are available on other platforms.
  • Even Cortana is not just on Windows Phone now.

I'd honestly say use what works best for you, you dont need to be 100% Microsoft or 100% Apple like a lot of people are.

I'm Microsoft on the desktop PC, I use Office 365 and I have an Xbox. However i use Dropbox for cloud storage, the Macbook Air is my laptop of choice and an Android device is my mobile device. Finally I use Google Chrome as it was the first browser to sync between Windows, OSX, and Android.

A mixture of products and services from various companies can work very well, this gives you a much greater exposure to what's out there too.

When I bought my Windows Phone, it was a different time and most of Microsoft services were exclusive to the Windows Phone platform.

I'd rather an appless poorly functioning alpha OS WinPhone than one of those springboard overpriced iTunes gimmick guzzling Apple Phones! ARRRGG!

No offence, but it might benefit you as a consumer to make your decision in a somewhat more rational, informed way. You seem to have a very emotionally tainted view of things.

I've already had enough.  Loved my Lumia 1020, but it's power plug has started to fail (cables fall out, won't charge sometimes).  There isn't anything new from Microsoft right now.. but I need to upgrade quite soon.

This also rules out the OnePlus Two, too much waiting.  I think the Moto X Play might be my next phone, should be available in a week or so in AUS, has bigger battery I want, 1080p screen I want, and all those apps my Lumia can't get.

I will continue to monitor the progress of Windows Phone, I like the OS, I will keep my Lumia 1020 updated to the latest preview build of 10.  I might even run a WinPhone style launcher on my Android device. 

One last comment.. I'd rather an appless poorly functioning alpha OS WinPhone than one of those springboard overpriced iTunes gimmick guzzling Apple Phones! ARRRGG!

micro usb cables are flimsy as ######. the tabs that are supposed to hold it in eventually compress down. unfortunately this is going to be a problem on androids too.

That is true, but most Lumias and many Android phones have wireless charging.  I'm more disturbed my the new trend with the Surface 3 to switch to microusb, as I expect the Surface Pro 4 will likely use that, now, too.

No offence, but it might benefit you as a consumer to make your decision in a somewhat more rational, informed way. You seem to have a very emotionally tainted view of things.

I owned, and used an iPhone 4 for 15 months.  The hardware was nice, but the launcher, iTunes dependancy, deliberately different charging cable, behind the times sizing and features.. it's just not my scene. 

It was a bad experience until I jailbroke it.  Only feature I rave on about on it was the ability to record live music with minimal clipping and distortion.  iPhones seem to do that fantastically but Android phones leave you with an unlistenable mess.

That is true, but most Lumias and many Android phones have wireless charging.  I'm more disturbed my the new trend with the Surface 3 to switch to microusb, as I expect the Surface Pro 4 will likely use that, now, too.

actually I would think the pro 4 will still use the current plug, but with an ability to charge via USB-C. Keeps compatibility with the current accessories and allows for future revisions. Plus I think the type c will also be thunderbolt as well. The type A will stick around for a bit longer and the mini display port will become a type c too.

I owned, and used an iPhone 4 for 15 months.  The hardware was nice, but the launcher, iTunes dependancy, deliberately different charging cable, behind the times sizing and features.. it's just not my scene.  

Fair enough. :)

Android: Never even once.

If windows doesn't work out i'm going to apple. I'm not going to a platform designed to collect every ounce of information on me and sell it. I don't trust any of google's business.

And what makes you think Apple are any different?

Get an Android ... then you will regret. I hate my Galaxy 5S. TERRIBLE product

broke my Lumia 930 a couple of weeks ago and have just replaced it with a Nexus 6.  I couldn't be happier.  WP never could cut it for me, too much still missing, even with the Windows 10 preview. It's just not there, feature wise, compared to Android.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

broke my Lumia 930 a couple of weeks ago and have just replaced it with a Nexus 6.  I couldn't be happier.  WP never could cut it for me, too much still missing, even with the Windows 10 preview. It's just not there, feature wise, compared to Android.

Really? where is Android's Glance? Where's it's Wi-Fi Sense? Android is still way too basic for me, I want a feature-rich handset right out of the box. Android might be OK as a toy but it is too generic and needs to be fiddled with for ages to get anything like Windows Phone's out-of-the-box experience. Then there is the fact you can do nothing to avoid Google get it's grubby mitts on your personal data. Sure, Microsoft and Apple also do that but a) if you also have a Microsoft account of some kind and an iTunes account they will be doing it as well so at least you can minimise the number of a-holes with their hands in your cookie jar by putting all your eggs in a single basket, and b) only Google use your data as their primary source of income, which means they are going to do far more with what they collect than anyone else. 

I was completely sold on WinPhone the day I bought my first handset, signed into my Hotmail account, which I had 5 years before Google even existed, and by the time I had walked back to my car, it had all my contacts and all my calendar appointments loaded up and ready to go. That's why when anyone asks me which phone they should get, the first question I ask them is what their main email address is. If they say "gmail" I suggest Android, if they say "Hotmail" I suggest Windows Phone, if they say "me", I tell them iPhone. I think it really is that simple. The handset that goes with the ecosystem in which you are most heavily invested will always give you the best experience. I doubt that most people are as singularly invested in a single ecosystem as I am - I have never had a Google or Apple account of any kind because none of that stuff was around when I was getting myself set-up on line - but I still think it is the best guide as to which phone OS to use.

• Like 2

Really? where is Android's Glance? Where's it's Wi-Fi Sense? Android is still way too basic for me, I want a feature-rich handset right out of the box. Android might be OK as a toy but it is too generic and needs to be fiddled with for ages to get anything like Windows Phone's out-of-the-box experience. Then there is the fact you can do nothing to avoid Google get it's grubby mitts on your personal data. Sure, Microsoft and Apple also do that but a) if you also have a Microsoft account of some kind and an iTunes account they will be doing it as well so at least you can minimise the number of a-holes with their hands in your cookie jar by putting all your eggs in a single basket, and b) only Google use your data as their primary source of income, which means they are going to do far more with what they collect than anyone else. 

I was completely sold on WinPhone the day I bought my first handset, signed into my Hotmail account, which I had 5 years before Google even existed, and by the time I had walked back to my car, it had all my contacts and all my calendar appointments loaded up and ready to go. That's why when anyone asks me which phone they should get, the first question I ask them is what their main email address is. If they say "gmail" I suggest Android, if they say "Hotmail" I suggest Windows Phone, if they say "me", I tell them iPhone. I think it really is that simple. The handset that goes with the ecosystem in which you are most heavily invested will always give you the best experience. I doubt that most people are as singularly invested in a single ecosystem as I am - I have never had a Google or Apple account of any kind because none of that stuff was around when I was getting myself set-up on line - but I still think it is the best guide as to which phone OS to use.

Well, you can install CyanogenMod and not gapps and use a 3rd party appstore like Amazon.