'Six Californias' plan may make 2016 ballot

What a silly idea...

Why not? There's almost 40 million people living in California. England has 53 million people and is split into 9 regions. Splitting California into four to six states should make things easier to run and also be able to better represent themselves in our national legislature.

Why not? There's almost 40 million people living in California. England has 53 million people and is split into 9 regions. Splitting California into four to six states should make things easier to run and also be able to better represent themselves in our national legislature.

Those 9 regions existed long before England existed. :p

As for silly, well, for one, it's going to increase the number of states from 50 to 56, which probably needs a lot more than just California's permission, and two, no one's going to want LA/Hollyweird in their state! :p

As for silly, well, for one, it's going to increase the number of states from 50 to 56, which probably needs a lot more than just California's permission, and two, no one's going to want LA/Hollyweird in their state! :p

Are you kidding me? They just roped all the hippies into a single area so they can run, wild and free :p

The pity thing is that the people from my hometown want to separate from the rest of California because California is run by a bunch of "tax and spend liberals".

They forgot to mention that the wealthy parts of the state are doing the taxing while they (the other parts) are doing the spending.

A plan backed by venture capitalist Tim Draper

That should be all you need to know to realise that this is a bad idea.

Based on that logic Texas should be split into four states; New York and Florida into three states; Illinois, Pennsylvania and Ohio into two, etc. Suddenly you end up with about 65 states with a substantially different political make-up. Unless you also merge the states with a very low population, as about thirty states are below the population count proposed for the California Six. 

This isn't about improving things for the people, it's about conservatives trying to increase their influence. The massive corporations located in these new states would have a disproportionate influence, meaning they'd inevitably push through low tax rates and crush worker rights. This is just more gerrymandering.

• Like 3

On the surface it sounds like a good idea, but this also is a very complex issue and not one that I would feel comfortable voting on. I'm not at all convinced that the average voter is going to have the knowledge required to make a sound and reasonable decision about this. This needs to be reviewed by a whole range of experts and professionals in government, economy, law, etc. If this isn't done just right it could very well ruin California (a state that already has some serious financial issues).

• Like 1

Those 9 regions existed long before England existed. :p

Actually, it'd increase it to 55 (55 - 1 (Current California) + 6 (new states)) = 55.

The real issue is funding local services. The northern parts of California get a lot of their public service funding from the southern half of the state's tax income, etc. By severing the states into these subdivisions what we'd end up with is states that would have massive shrinkage in their local budgets. If they can survive that issue, I think it's not a bad idea. California is a little too concentrated when it comes to political matters, too many people being represented in one state that not everyone really gets spoken for. Not to mention the proposition system is fairly rigged as it is.

So the question is what wins out? Representation or budget? If these local regions choose to sever their lifeline from the rest of the state then I think that's their choice.

There have been a few different motions here in Michigan about separating the Upper and Lower Peninsulas into their own individual States in the past, and more recently breaking off Detroit into its' own District like Washington D.C. is, but not much ever got going on those movements.

The California issue, however, has some real traction behind it. That one could actually happen. It'll be interesting to see what comes of it.

This isn't about improving things for the people, it's about conservatives trying to increase their influence. The massive corporations located in these new states would have a disproportionate influence, meaning they'd inevitably push through low tax rates and crush worker rights. This is just more gerrymandering.

Of course it is about increasing influence. The difference is that conservatives are increasing influence through adapting representation, where liberals increase representation through amnesty and giving poor people free stuff to keep them poor. If changing the state to represent conservatives more is gerrymandering, then keeping it as is must be gerrymandering as well.

We bet that Los Angeles, West California would become capital state when California becomes six states, do you think so too?

We bet that Los Angeles, West California would become capital state when California becomes six states, do you think so too?

When?!  I think you mean IF.. A really really really big IF.

And I can't see the rest of California going for that. LA is full of crazy people.

• Like 1

When?!  I think you mean IF.. A really really really big IF.

And I can't see the rest of California going for that. LA is full of crazy people.

yes, that is true..... LA is full of crazy people there.