Rise of the Tomb Raider coming to PC in early 2016, PS4 in holiday 2016

Rise of the Tomb Raider coming to PC in early 2016, PS4 in holiday 2016
posted on 07.23.15 at 12:03 PM EDT by Sal Romano (@salromano)

Square Enix confirms one year timed exclusivity on console.

RoTT-PC-PS4-Ann.jpg

Rise of the Tomb Raider will launch for PC (Windows 10) via Steam in early 2016 and for PlayStation 4 in holiday 2016, Square Enix announced.
The game will premiere first for Xbox One and Xbox 360 on November 10, this year. The PlayStation 4 version will arrive one year after its initial launch.
Find a rundown of the game below, via Square Enix:

In the critically acclaimed Tomb Raider, Lara Croft survived a harrowing experience only to be discredited as part of a cover up. Now, after uncovering an ancient mystery, Lara must explore the most treacherous and remote regions of Siberia to find the secret of immortality before a ruthless organization known as Trinity. Lara must use her wits and survival skills, form new alliances, and ultimately embrace her destiny as the Tomb Raider.

Experience high-octane action moments, conquer beautifully hostile environments, engage in brutal guerrilla combat, and explore awe-inspiring deadly tombs in the evolution of survival action. In Rise of the Tomb Raider, Lara becomes more than a survivor as she embarks on her first great Tomb Raiding expedition.

http://gematsu.com/2015/07/rise-tomb-raider-coming-pc-early-2016-ps4-holiday-2016

I wonder if Sony will get a "complete" edition with all the DLC since it had to wait till Nov 2016.

Won't be coming to my PS4.

Is that an FU to Square Enix? Getting on PC instead? Or are you just not a fan of the series?

Have been a longtime fan of the series.  Tomb Raider 2 was the reason I bought a PS2.  This'll be the first TR game I fully miss out on.  PC won't run it, I built mine for music not gaming.  More of an FU to Crystal Dynamics.  I don't blame MS, they're doing what they can for their gamers.  This doesn't entice me to buy an X1, it pushes me away from buying another Crystal Dynamics game ever.

Since I owned the first on the 360 I always planned to buy the sequel on the Xbox One.  That said, if I wanted I could just as well wait and get it on the PC or w/e, I never got the original right away either, only when it went on sale on the 360 for $20.

That said, exclusives and timed exclusives is the name of the console game, you do what you got to do.   I don't fault either side for doing it, and they both have and will, I'll just wait and play it when I can get it for my platform of choice at the time.  It's the advantage of not limiting yourself to just one.

Have been a longtime fan of the series.  Tomb Raider 2 was the reason I bought a PS2.  This'll be the first TR game I fully miss out on.  PC won't run it, I built mine for music not gaming.  More of an FU to Crystal Dynamics.  I don't blame MS, they're doing what they can for their gamers.  This doesn't entice me to buy an X1, it pushes me away from buying another Crystal Dynamics game ever.

That just seems so odd to me.  As we've known since the announcement, it's a timed exclusive.  Sega Saturn players got a much worse deal when Sony purchased a permanent exclusion for TR2, TR3, and Angel of Darkness...

As far as exclusives are concerned, I'm glad that we're now seeing timed exclusives, that way you know you'll still be able to play the game at some point.  Waiting a year really isn't a huge deal to me and it seems a bit petty to deny yourself the opportunity to play that game ever because you had to wait...

I would have been happy to have been able to "just wait a bit" for those exclusives...

i am certainly glad they are not making PC gamers wait as long as ps4.   its bad that we have to wait considering TR started as a PC game, but i can understand the MS wanting to push xbox.     but unlike PS4 the PC is not a direct competitor, so no reason to delay it for long.

• Like 1

Have been a longtime fan of the series. Tomb Raider 2 was the reason I bought a PS2. This'll be the first TR game I fully miss out on. PC won't run it, I built mine for music not gaming. More of an FU to Crystal Dynamics. I don't blame MS, they're doing what they can for their gamers. This doesn't entice me to buy an X1, it pushes me away from buying another Crystal Dynamics game ever.

Crystal Dynamics is the developer, right? Owned by Square Enix, who is the publisher in this case, so you should be ###### at them, not Crystal Dynamics, right?

Either way, I don't think you should waste your time being ###### at anybody.

It is what it is, and the only person that really loses out by you being ######, is you.

Can't say I'm too happy with Capcom right now, but there is no way I would shun future versions of Street Fighter, just because of the cutthroat world of business.

That would just be shooting myself in the foot.

• Like 1

I will buy it on PC but will wait for a price drop later. Out of principle if i'm paying the full price it needs to be day 1 if not then i don't pay more than 40$.

The last one (the 2013 reboot) was really good. Got it on sale after a few months. I didn't mind the waiting, but it was one of those rare gaming experiences where I felt bad for paying so little. I paid $7.50

This will be pirated to hell and back. Even people that have no interest in the game will pirate it just to spite Squeenix.

it will be pirated EXACTLY the same way as any other high profile game.... 

however you may have a point of PC people no wanted to pay because they feel ###### off...  but not really.   a 3 month delay is not a huge deal. (i assume 3 month from the early 2016 date)

so people on PC will most likely keep to the same spread of buying/pirating. 

(though part of the reason they are doing earlier PC vs PS4, i think, is the reason they don't want to ###### off PC users too much

Crystal Dynamics is the developer, right? Owned by Square Enix, who is the publisher in this case, so you should be ###### at them, not Crystal Dynamics, right?

Either way, I don't think you should waste your time being ###### at anybody.

It is what it is, and the only person that really loses out buy you being ######, is you.

Can't say I'm too happy with Capcom right now, but there is no way I would shun future versions of Street Fighter, just because of the cutthroat world of business.

That would just be shooting myself in the foot.

CD has been high on MS since they were handed the Tomb Raider IP from Eidos (away from Core who was the original developer) before Squeenix bought them.  For instance, TR:Legend never got a solo release on PS3.  TR: Anniversary had bonus DLC exclusive to 360, which normally I don't get too worked up about except that it was the actual end of the game. This is in 2007, Squeenix bought them in 2009.

And yet every single version sold better on a Playstation console, including the Definitive Edition of the reboot.

This is bad business on the part of CD, Eidos, and SE.  I hope Microsoft paid enough for them to lose a huge chunk of the fanbase.

And again, I'll have plenty to play next year.  I won't be missing out.

So we are essentially seeing the death of any permanent platform exclusivity unless the game in question is published by the company which makes the hardware? (Halo is pub'd by MS Studios, Uncharted is pub'd by SCE, Bayonetta is pub'd by Nintendo, etc.)

I have to say that makes me happy. I can wait until it comes to PC or PS4.

That just seems so odd to me.  As we've known since the announcement, it's a timed exclusive.  Sega Saturn players got a much worse deal when Sony purchased a permanent exclusion for TR2, TR3, and Angel of Darkness...

As far as exclusives are concerned, I'm glad that we're now seeing timed exclusives, that way you know you'll still be able to play the game at some point.  Waiting a year really isn't a huge deal to me and it seems a bit petty to deny yourself the opportunity to play that game ever because you had to wait...

I would have been happy to have been able to "just wait a bit" for those exclusives...

Eeeeeexcept that Core themselves said the Saturn was holding them back, they couldn't do TR2 on it.  Chronicles and Last Revelation did come to Dreamcast.  They all came to PC.

And again, bad business, as the TR franchise sells best on PS platforms even in recent years.

By going timed exclusive CD has said that Microsoft's money is more important than mine.  I've got no problem moving on, again, I have other things to play and won't feel like I'm missing out.  And if people feel the same way about Street Fighter or Shenmue, then good on them.  

So we are essentially seeing the death of any permanent platform exclusivity unless the game in question is published by the company which makes the hardware? (Halo is pub'd by MS Studios, Uncharted is pub'd by SCE, Bayonetta is pub'd by Nintendo, etc.)

I have to say that makes me happy. I can wait until it comes to PC or PS4.

I agree.  I really don't understand how anyone could possibly get that worked up over a timed exclusive...  Especially when they are perfectly fine with exclusives when they benefit them.  LOL

I much prefer the way exclusives are being handled now.

No PS3 release?

I think by this time next year you'd be lucky to sell 100k units on a PS3.

I think by this time next year you'd be lucky to sell 100k units on a PS3.

PS3 is still a very capable machine.... I can play my blu-rays, watch netflix, youtube and play games fine without issue.

PS3 is still a very capable machine.... I can play my blu-rays, watch netflix, youtube and play games fine without issue.

Yes, it is very capable at playing blu-rays music and videos :D

That's about all it'll be good for soon.

___

I wouldn't mind waiting for the PC release, but I doubt I will.

Yes, it is very capable at playing blu-rays music and videos :D

That's about all it'll be good for soon.

You forgot to add games as well