Rise of the Tomb Raider coming to PC in early 2016, PS4 in holiday 2016

PS3 is still a very capable machine.... I can play my blu-rays, watch netflix, youtube and play games fine without issue.

Many franchises are losing their cross-gen versions in 2015. We can only assume the year long gap is why they aren't bothering with a PS3 release, predictably the PS4 with a larger install base by then.

Had the exclusivity deal not been made, I'm sure it would have released alongside the 360 version too.

Nice, I was going to get this for XB1 but might as well wait for the PC release since it's probably not too long afterwards. Really enjoyed the 2013 release of Tomb Raider, hopefully this equally as good.

• Like 1

PS3 is still a very capable machine.... I can play my blu-rays, watch netflix, youtube and play games fine without issue.

Games for the early 2000s, that's for sure. Today's games? LOL.

Not saying it couldn't run it like the 360 is, but that by the end of next year Square will struggle to sell enough copies on the PS3 to make porting it worthwhile.

• Like 1

Have been a longtime fan of the series.  Tomb Raider 2 was the reason I bought a PS2.  This'll be the first TR game I fully miss out on.  PC won't run it, I built mine for music not gaming.  More of an FU to Crystal Dynamics.  I don't blame MS, they're doing what they can for their gamers.  This doesn't entice me to buy an X1, it pushes me away from buying another Crystal Dynamics game ever.

I have been a longtime fan of the series as well.

The first game I missed was the Temple of Osiris because it was released after the "Rise of..." exclusivity was announced.

I DO blame MS for the delay for PC (but not for the PS delay, I would have bought the PC version if it were launched simultaneously with the Xbox One) but most of all I blame Crystal Dynamics for both PC and PS4 delay. I don't plan on buying any future Crystal Dynamics games as a result.

I'm totally fine with 1st party exclusives but I don't like 3rd party exclusives (I don't like that Sony does it either, this isn't just directed at Xbox One.) This one is especially bad because Tomb Raider has a strong history on the PlayStation platform. It would been totally different if it was a 3rd party exclusive of a new IP but it's not.

As for denying myself playing the game I have no shortage of games I plan to play coming out so it's not like I'll be sitting around with nothing to do because I refuse to give Crystal Dynamics any more of my money.

Any word on whether this will support the Xbox App or Steam for PC?

As a XBox One, PS4 owner, looks like I will be playing the new Tomb Raider on the XBox One.

If it is a matter of potentially playing the better performing version with all the DLC or not waiting a year, I will choose to not wait a year.  :laugh:

With that said, this is pretty much ridiculous. I am all for first party exclusives. To me that is what keeps things interesting and are the specific reason multiple consoles exist. Competition with exclusive titles is a good thing.

However a game that is going to come out on both consoles but one of those consoles purchases exclusive rights for the game for one year? I am not for that. To me that is anti consumer. If this was an XB1 exclusive outright I would have zero issue. It is not, and I just feel this is not a good outcome for gamers overall. If I can have a choice, I want that choice as soon as possible. I do not appreciate being forced into it, which is all that is going down here. I am being forced into playing it on the One, and that is uncool.

Now that I have typed all of that out, I will be damned, I think I have talked myself into not even playing the game. As much as I liked the last one, I do not want to support this type of practice. Release all the exclusives you want. I am down for that and the more the merrier. I am just not down with this, and I will have plenty of other games to play. So if I can, I am going to try and not play this game on either platform and vote with my wallet. I will probably fail miserably, but I am going to attempt it. 

I want this game when its out for PS4, and to be honest the year long wait for it to come to that console isn't a big deal to me. 
What I do think is a huge deal though is Crystal Dynamics effectively shutting out the very fan-base that made Tomb Raider the franchise that it is today. The year long wait would be too long for some. 
I do think that the year long Xbox One exclusive will absolutely kill sales, with them lucky to sell 100,000 - 500,000 copies. But for us PS4 and PC users, specially when it hits the PS4, we can look forward to the definitive edition of the sequel with upgraded 1080p/60fps and the rest of any DLC so we will get the full experience.

Time exclusives are ridiculous, call of duty had a lot to answer for with the start of the DLC incomplete games and paying extra for stuff that should gave been shipped at launch.

Then Microsoft took it to another level getting that DLC first and PlayStation users having to wait (that trend being reversed to PlayStation later this year). The whole thing is utterly stupid IMHO and just bad for gamers in general.

Time exclusives are ridiculous, call of duty had a lot to answer for with the start of the DLC incomplete games and paying extra for stuff that should gave been shipped at launch.

Then Microsoft took it to another level getting that DLC first and PlayStation users having to wait (that trend being reversed to PlayStation later this year). The whole thing is utterly stupid IMHO and just bad for gamers in general.

I don't agree with the "content held back" assumption. That is a budget that is completely separate from the game budget.

As a XBox One, PS4 owner, looks like I will be playing the new Tomb Raider on the XBox One.

If it is a matter of potentially playing the better performing version with all the DLC or not waiting a year, I will choose to not wait a year.  :laugh:

With that said, this is pretty much ridiculous. I am all for first party exclusives. To me that is what keeps things interesting and are the specific reason multiple consoles exist. Competition with exclusive titles is a good thing.

However a game that is going to come out on both consoles but one of those consoles purchases exclusive rights for the game for one year? I am not for that. To me that is anti consumer. If this was an XB1 exclusive outright I would have zero issue. It is not, and I just feel this is not a good outcome for gamers overall. If I can have a choice, I want that choice as soon as possible. I do not appreciate being forced into it, which is all that is going down here. I am being forced into playing it on the One, and that is uncool.

Now that I have typed all of that out, I will be damned, I think I have talked myself into not even playing the game. As much as I liked the last one, I do not want to support this type of practice. Release all the exclusives you want. I am down for that and the more the merrier. I am just not down with this, and I will have plenty of other games to play. So if I can, I am going to try and not play this game on either platform and vote with my wallet. I will probably fail miserably, but I am going to attempt it. 

I agree with you regarding the year long exclusive of a third party game not being consumer friendly. I also think it is just as consumer unfriendly for a third party game that is part of a series to get full exclusive rights as well. Exclusives should be saved for non-third party games. It does not benefit the consumer other than possibly a better quality product because they are able to focus on less platforms.

Both are anti-consumer scenarios and both suck.

What I do think is a huge deal though is Crystal Dynamics effectively shutting out the very fan-base that made Tomb Raider the franchise that it is today. 

Sega fans?

I'm fortunate enough to own both a PS4 & One, and other consoles.  I've never been bitter about companies doing this.

Rather it been Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft.  it just never bothered me.  if I didnt have the respective console it came out on, then oh well life moves on.

And if the game eventually cam out on my console and its good, then ill pick it up at my convenience.

I'm not gonna sit there and hold a grudge over business moves of a respective company, if they make good products.

Now I won't bother wit a company if they are just blatantly offensive in any kind of way.

Just a wrong thing to hold a grudge over

I'm fortunate enough to own both a PS4 & One, and other consoles.  I've never been bitter about companies doing this.

Rather it been Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft.  it just never bothered me.  if I didnt have the respective console it came out on, then oh well life moves on.

And if the game eventually cam out on my console and its good, then ill pick it up at my convenience.

I'm not gonna sit there and hold a grudge over business moves of a respective company, if they make good products.

Now I won't bother wit a company if they are just blatantly offensive in any kind of way.

Just a wrong thing to hold a grudge over

Well yes, those of us that have all the consoles are good to go, which is why I have them :)

It sounds to me like MS is paying for a good chunk of the development costs for this game, in that sense, since they're paying to help make it in the first place, I don't find issue with the timed exclusivity of it.  If Sony felt they wanted the game strong enough they'd help pay for it, but they didn't mind it seems.  It's not like Sony and SE don't talk, heck lots of SE games are only on the PS4, I don't feel sorry for any PS4 fans having to wait really, not when you get your own chunk of exclusive 3rd party titles.

It sounds to me like MS is paying for a good chunk of the development costs for this game, in that sense, since they're paying to help make it in the first place, I don't find issue with the timed exclusivity of it.  If Sony felt they wanted the game strong enough they'd help pay for it, but they didn't mind it seems.  It's not like Sony and SE don't talk, heck lots of SE games are only on the PS4, I don't feel sorry for any PS4 fans having to wait really, not when you get your own chunk of exclusive 3rd party titles.

If MS were paying for a "good chunk" oof development it would stay exclusive like Dead Rising, Rise or Sunset Overdrive. 

This was announced as timed day 1, it's a marketing deal through and through, not a co-development. Tomb Raider hardly needs paid for either, it's one of the largest IPs around. 

If MS were paying for a "good chunk" oof development it would stay exclusive like Dead Rising, Rise or Sunset Overdrive. 

This was announced as timed day 1, it's a marketing deal through and through, not a co-development. Tomb Raider hardly needs paid for either, it's one of the largest IPs around. 

Dead Rising and Ryse aren't exactly exclusive, they're on the PC as well.  Only Sunset Overdrive is still Xbox One only and I'm betting that'll hit the PC at some point as well.  SE already moaned about the original not making money, at least not quick enough like they wanted to.  For a game that is a large IP as you put it, it took it 10 months and a re-release on new consoles to finally make a profit.  The costs to make games has been going up, and it showed, because even with 4million units sold early on it still didn't make a profit.   It's already been stated that MS is the publisher for it on the Xbox, and SE even stated they're helping with development and marketing.

Dead Rising and Ryse aren't exactly exclusive, they're on the PC as well.  Only Sunset Overdrive is still Xbox One only and I'm betting that'll hit the PC at some point as well.  SE already moaned about the original not making money, at least not quick enough like they wanted to.  For a game that is a large IP as you put it, it took it 10 months and a re-release on new consoles to finally make a profit.  The costs to make games has been going up, and it showed, because even with 4million units sold early on it still didn't make a profit.   It's already been stated that MS is the publisher for it on the Xbox, and SE even stated they're helping with development and marketing.

That was me replying by the way, guest? lol. Must be because I was on mobile.

SE moaning about the original was a joke, it shifted over 5m copies IIRC. Even if you want to believe a profit isn't made on that, and that MS have now funded this, it's a bit of a bum deal for MS then. Lose money, and lose a game they've funded to a competitors platform in only 1 year. The install base of the One isn't even going to come close to shifting 5m units, it'll be lucky to do 1~1.5m. Hence how if TR on all platforms selling 5m cannot make money, how is TR on 1 platform going to? Well, of course it is, hence how SE's moaning about TR not selling enough was complete garbage. 

My opinion for what it's worth, this deal was made to try and counter Uncharted 4 when it was originally coming at the end of this year. MS have paid to co-market, and in return gained a 1 year exclusive window.

• Like 1

Insomniac has already confirmed that Sunset Overdrive is not coming to PC. Though yes, Dead Rising and Ryse are exclusive to Microsoft platforms.

Insomniac has already confirmed that Sunset Overdrive is not coming to PC. Though yes, Dead Rising and Ryse are exclusive to Microsoft platforms.

Could see that be because Insomniac have little to no PC experience. Capcom and Crytek have PC experience. All 3 are Microsoft owned which is the important part, but they're not 1st party so it isn't up to MS to get them on PC. It's up to the developers (if they can).

Could see that be because Insomniac have little to no PC experience. Capcom and Crytek have PC experience. All 3 are Microsoft owned which is the important part, but they're not 1st party so it isn't up to MS to get them on PC. It's up to the developers (if they can).

Any game is up to any developer, unless there is money that exchanges hands to prevent their game to show up on a different platform. MS appears to have exchanged some cashola to prevent Ryse and DR3 from showing up on non-Microsoft platforms.

Any game is up to any developer, unless there is money that exchanges hands to prevent their game to show up on a different platform. MS appears to have exchanged some cashola to prevent Ryse and DR3 from showing up on non-Microsoft platforms.

I thought it was pretty clear MS funded development on Ryse and DR3? 

I thought it was pretty clear MS funded development on Ryse and DR3? 

Yup, as well as helping with funding of Sunset Overdrive, no? We know they are assisting in funding development of Tomb Raider. But just because they are investing, time, resources, development and co-publishing in a title, that doesn't mean it remains exclusives (see Tomb Raider).

That was me replying by the way, guest? lol. Must be because I was on mobile.

SE moaning about the original was a joke, it shifted over 5m copies IIRC. Even if you want to believe a profit isn't made on that, and that MS have now funded this, it's a bit of a bum deal for MS then. Lose money, and lose a game they've funded to a competitors platform in only 1 year. The install base of the One isn't even going to come close to shifting 5m units, it'll be lucky to do 1~1.5m. Hence how if TR on all platforms selling 5m cannot make money, how is TR on 1 platform going to? Well, of course it is, hence how SE's moaning about TR not selling enough was complete garbage. 

My opinion for what it's worth, this deal was made to try and counter Uncharted 4 when it was originally coming at the end of this year. MS have paid to co-market, and in return gained a 1 year exclusive window.

I'm saying what SE has said, and what the Tomb Raider head guy said, at the end of the day we can either go with that on the record or not, up to each person.  Regardless, in the larger span of things, with so much hoopla over this, you'd think it'd be a 20million unit seller, but it's not.   With the re-release on PS4/XB1 it's up to 8.4, maybe now 9million copies, that's fine, but you'd think with people moaning about how it's this big hot property it'd be selling double what it actually did.    Maybe that's what SE expected as well, specially in it's first few months when it barely made it to ~4million.      It sounds like it took 5-6million copies for SE to finally make it's money back on it, if we believe that then they either overspent on development, or probably overspent on marketing and distribution, which is why they're more than happy to let MS publish and take care of that side of things.

Got the old one here and still haven't played it.... "old" :p

So looking forward to this one though from what I read. Guess ill need a new console too. :D

I have been a longtime fan of the series as well.

The first game I missed was the Temple of Osiris

because it was released after the "Rise of..." exclusivity was announced.

I DO blame MS for the delay for PC (but not for the PS delay, I would have bought the PC version if it were launched simultaneously with the Xbox One) but most of all I blame Crystal Dynamics for both PC and PS4 delay. I don't plan on buying any future Crystal Dynamics games as a result.

Well apparently Temple of Osiris is one of the PS4 games for PS+ for Aug.  So I'm even more happy I didn't give Crystal Dynamics my money and "Rise of..." will be the first Tomb Raider game I won't get.