IPB4 upgrade announcement

Not sure if it's a bug or just the way things are, but having all links open in another tab would be awesome. I hate being re-directed to a new page, that loads in the same tab. Drives me bonkers.

Also, being able to opt out of seeing content would be tight. 100% mod controlled, simply request "hey, i don't want to see anything politics related" and from that point on, mini spy, front page, and forums you'll never see anything with the "politics" tag. Just a thought. I'm an opinionated person, and I just recently got warned about insults and offending people.

How to use bbcode when posting?

Situation: I can't link an image from IE, or Edge (found the button for it but it just "loading" for eternity), so I thought, okay, I'll write it manually with bbcode... but I can't find bbcode option.

Double login reporting in. Login on the main page then thrown to forums where I have to login again (Sorry, there is a problem The page you requested does not exist Error code: 2S100/6) and clicking on community activity on main page spews: Sorry, there is a problem That page does not exist. Error code: 2S100/1. Bad, IPB. Very bad.

Page jumper doesn't work. CTRL+F5 to reload past cache, still doesn't work. Clicking numbers, next, prev, <<, or >> don't do anything. The last post I can see from this thread is Frank B.'s post on 24 July, at the end of page 1.

I'm not seeing any contrast or not enough on the topic view. The forum is going for a card view, and we have this light blue-grey background, and light blue-grey user badge and border, and it just doesn't stand out enough from the white background. Just needs to be a few shades darker, IMO.

Still, forum design shows promise and I'm glad to see it's back up. Keep up the good work, team.

Page jumper doesn't work. CTRL+F5 to reload past cache, still doesn't work. Clicking numbers, next, prev, <<, or >> don't do anything. The last post I can see from this thread is Frank B.'s post on 24 July, at the end of page 1.

I'm not seeing any contrast or not enough on the topic view. The forum is going for a card view, and we have this light blue-grey background, and light blue-grey user badge and border, and it just doesn't stand out enough from the white background. Just needs to be a few shades darker, IMO.

Still, forum design shows promise and I'm glad to see it's back up. Keep up the good work, team.

Also, sorry for the double post, but editing doesn't work. Clicking Edit adds a little spinning wheel animation, but it never (1 minute waited) does anything.

Writing a post and clicking Submit Reply changes the button to Saving, but then it reverts back to Submit Reply, and does nothing. Post does not appear to be submitted at all. Gave up on the post (the one above) and went back to the forum. Then saw my reply in the Mini Spy. I tried to post it twice and it only showed up once, so there's that, but neither did it tell me I could only post the same thing once. It simply ignored the second submission. As well it should have, but it also should have said something.

Page jumper works on this page, but it definitely didn't work on the last page.

Nice WYSIWYG editor, but again, the header could use better contrast. It doesn't need it, but it would help set elements apart.

Edit progress spinner is still spinning...

I have reported about the broken posts and was told that this is partly to do with the rebuilding and converting of posts to the new format. It is my hope that years of content don't get screwed up, so we'll revisit that once the rebuild is completed.

Other bugs are being worked on, including a full reset of the this theme (happening now). BBCODE support is back, you can type the most common ones directly into the editor, including img tags.

Several current issues that need to be addressed:

1. Before the upgrade, it was possible to search within the current forum one was in. This was particularly useful to me in "The Media Room". Now, not only one cannot search within an existing forum, even then search doesn't find things.

2. There is a stupid "wait X seconds before another search" message even if I am just changing the search criteria, i.e. from "All content" to "Topics".

3. Even on the search page itself -- https://www.neowin.net/forum/search/ -- it is apparently impossible to drill into a specific forum section. What's that all about?

4. Either IMDB stopped hot-linking of images or hot-linked images served over standard HTTP (as opposed to HTTPS) no longer work.

5. Not possible to switch from rich post editor to code like it was before.

6. Some of my posts have been messed up whereby a quote that I have responded to doesn't show up. Also, where a YouTube video was inserted with the following BBCODE -- [wyoutube]Video ID[/wyoutube] -- it doesn't show up any more. And, since I can't edit the post, things look stupid.

7. Some posts are plain broken whereby text is shown in bold even though it was never posted as such, direct links to YouTube are not converted to video but are just shown as text and some URL parsing is completely screwed so much so that the whole code is displayed.

8. Quoting some screwed up posts actually causes the signature to be included in the quote as well, what's up with that???

9. Some posts just show nothing (not because there is actually nothing, but because somehow the content has been lost).

10. Posts that contained spoiler tags are no longer hidden as spoilers. That's all kinds of wrong.

11. There is so much empty space in the editor. When posting, it looks like there is one line of space between lines of text but, when posting, the lines are actually packed together.

12. Embedded tweets do not show up at all and all I can see is the code.

13. It does not seem possible to swipe up and down within editor on iPad. When I tried to edit this post on my tablet, only points down to 5 were displayed.

I could go on, but with everything else reported and my list above, you've got your hands full boys, that's for sure. I have been around for over half a decade and, of all the upgrades done in that time, this one feels like the one where the most has gone wrong. Hopefully you can nip things in the bud quickly, because it's not a pleasure to use the forums like it has been before.

I have reported about the broken posts and was told that this is partly to do with the rebuilding and converting of posts to the new format. It is my hope that years of content don't get screwed up, so we'll revisit that once the rebuild is completed.

Other bugs are being worked on, including a full reset of the this theme (happening now). BBCODE support is back, you can type the most common ones directly into the editor, including img tags.

Good!

For some reason whenever I tried to insert an image via the URL method it never worked.

Okay, everything looks great but my initial, original Neowin account "deadheadline" Name Decebalvs Rex is missing. All my posts, history, gone. When I try to log in with that name or account it says it doesn't exist.

I have to mention that I changed "deadheadline" 's account email to this one a few days before the upgrade. Can I recover my old account? I hate to start as a newbie here again.

Thanks in advance.

Good!

For some reason whenever I tried to insert an image via the URL method it never worked.

Same here

How to use bbcode when posting?

Situation: I can't link an image from IE, or Edge (found the button for it but it just "loading" for eternity), so I thought, okay, I'll write it manually with bbcode... but I can't find bbcode option.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode

• Like 1

One more to the list. Previously, notifications on the main website were a merge of forum + site activity. Now, in order to see if anyone liked/quoted/etc one of my forum posts, I need to go to a forum page. This is quite an inconvenience as I have the main site's tab pinned in Chrome and having to have a separate tab just to see the forum's notifications is not ideal.

Alright this might be me just being picky but the "Like This" button is in an unnatural positon.

It feels more at home on the left side and easier to reach when browsing.

(Might just be me)

Alright this might be me just being picky but the "Like This" button is in an unnatural positon.

It feels more at home on the left side and easier to reach when browsing.

(Might just be me)

Agree.

Is IPB4 worth the money they want?

We've actually postponed our IPB4 update over on our forum. The chaps at Neowin are doing a good job on patching up after IPS, and we just don't have the patience for that.

• Like 2

the entire theme was reloaded with various changes & bug fixes here and there. Steve has been talking about a theme refresh for a few days now :)

the entire theme was reloaded with various changes & bug fixes here and there. Steve has been talking about a theme refresh for a few days now :)

So while the Neowin styled theme is getting fixed, they've set the forum to use the default theme. Is that correct? :unsure:

The color (Windows 10's blue color) maybe?

Possibly.

The theme has undergone a bit of a reset to default with a few of our own stuff thrown in, this is while we complete a proper theme/wrapper.

In this theme, everything that works in IPB default, also works here (that wasn't the case with the theme from yesterday).

• Like 3