Prevent Windows 10 update

So a lot of computers started having the Windows 10 upgrade available, but so far it is being forced on the machines, at least from the ones I have seen. The few computers I have here only have the option to shut down with installing updates. Is there any way of restarting computers or shutting them down without installing the Windows 10 upgrade? I don't want to completely get rid of it, just wait a few days.

So a lot of computers started having the Windows 10 upgrade available, but so far it is being forced on the machines, at least from the ones I have seen. The few computers I have here only have the option to shut down with installing updates. Is there any way of restarting computers or shutting them down without installing the Windows 10 upgrade? I don't want to completely get rid of it, just wait a few days.

Windows 10 is downloaded automatically but you install it yourself.  It is not a forced installation.  You can install anytime which windows 10 file is sitting on your hard drive and waiting on you to install it whenever you like.

did you read the description when you were reserving a copy on reservation app? It says you install whenever you are ready. 

My Windows 10 is downloading now.

I had checked for Windows 7 Updates and was offered the Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows 10.

I unchecked the Windows 10 installation. Shortly after I did, it  said that it was downloading Windows 10 in the background.

So the main point being, Uncheck Windows 10 in Windows Update. It will download Windows 10 in the background and then you can install it whenever you want to.

These updates the "Shut down and install updates" are refering to are just every day updates, not Windows 10.

I'm wondering if you don't uncheck in Windows Update, will it go ahead and try to install?

See, in my case I UNCHECKED Windows 10 in Windows Update. It installed MSE then when that was through I later noticed that it started downloading Windows 10 in the background.

My question is, if I had left it CHECKED in Windows Update, would it have gone ahead and try install? I guess you could say 'No' if it did but I was just wondering if this was a possible reason why the OP had gotten a different result.

WIndows 10 doesn't pop up as an "Update".

If you run Windows Update on Windows 7, 8.0 or 8.1, two things happen. One, Windows Update tells you Windows 10 is ready to install. at which time you have to press Install. Then you get a second prompt once it is done prepping, where you have to accept the license agreement. None of that is done automatically so there is no way it installed without user input.

If you run Windows Update on Windows 7, 8.0 or 8.1, two things happen. One, Windows Update tells you Windows 10 is ready to install. at which time you have to press Install. Then you get a second prompt once it is done prepping, where you have to accept the license agreement. None of that is done automatically so there is no way it installed without user input.

The only thing different was that I Unchecked in Windows Update, i.e. telling it "Don't Install". A few minutes later I clicked on the "Get Windows 10" app and it told me it was downloading (in the background). I understand what your saying but this could be confusing for some people.

Edited by tompkin

It did pop up as an Update. I unchecked it. 

You must not have done the "Reserve My Copy" then, that makes sense. For people that reserved a copy, it does as I posted above.

You must not have done the "Reserve My Copy" then, that makes sense. For people that reserved a copy, it does as I posted above.

Sorry, I thought I cancelled the post that you quoted. You can look at the post I made after that. But I did reserve my copy. I reserved it almost from the beginning. I verified it several times and it said that my copy was reserved. 

On the PC here I did not go through the "Reserve my copy".

When I checked in the Windows Updates the only update listed was Windows 10.

If I close all the Windows and go to shut down the computer there was only the option "Shut down and install updates". I can lock the screen and then I would have the option to either shut down or shut down and install updates.

I ended up installing Windows 10 and after a few steps I had the choice to either start installing now or postpone the installation. However the postponing only allowed me to postpone it to a maximum of 3 days. I ended up installing Windows 10 straight away.

What I was wondering is, if  this is the same behaviour when you reserve it then all my family with Windows 7 will essentially be forced to install Windows 10, or actually end up installing it inadvertently when they next shut down the PC.

You are correct, it did all of that. What was bothering me is that it was being listed in the "Shut down and install updates". After you go through those steps you will still see a final message where you can install or postpone the installation, but you can only postpone it for three days and I don't know if you can then postpone it again after that.

Anyway, at home I have a PC with Windows 8.1 where I reserved a copy, I'll see how it works there.

I just had to reboot my machine.

A few second later after my desktop appeared, suddenly the Windows Update screen popped up and it said it was downloading Windows 10. I cancelled the download in Windows Update.

This is after I had downloaded it this morning and declined the license agreement.

Below shows two screens that I took seconds apart. 

upgradescreen1.JPG

upgradescreen2.JPG

I now know what happened on that machine of mine. Turns out my colleague started the installation behind my back, whilst I wasn't looking for 2 mins. He made me believe that I had started it. crap.... Sorry for this thread, I guess it was kind of pointless then.

I got home and on one of my home PC's it is as you guys say. If I don't do anything I don't get prompted to install it. On my HTPC I started the installation via the icon in the systray (Get Windows 10). So it looks like you aren't forced to eventually install it anyway.

I'm really in a mess. I don't know what I did but now whenever I turn on my machine (or reboot) it starts the installation. I can cancel it so that's ok.

When I click the Get Windows 10 App, it always says it's downloading.  Windows Update still shows what I posted in the screenshot above.

I just want to get to the point where I am delaying upgrading so that I can upgrade at a future point in time.