Alternative Torrent Clients

Question

I switched to qBitTorrent a few months back and it was pretty good but I am a bit tired of the I/O errors it seems to be obsessed with, which then pauses the torrent.

I looked at Transmission for Windows but no matter what I do, it won't open a dialog box to tell me the contents of the torrent.  Only after I start downloading it can I cancel certain items.  However I love the look and feel of it.

Also revisited Deluge but haven't had enough time with it to see if it's any good.

I kinda feel a bit sad that I am messing up my new Win 10 install with trying out different clients.

Am I missing one (that isn't Vuze)?

18 answers to this question

Transmission is not the official version for Windows, so I never used it.

Deluge is good but note that the latest update on Windows is 2014.

I recently found Halite which seems to be small and fast. I am actually running the portable version. Seems great.

uTorrent 2.2.1 (build 25302) is the last version before they added all the crap like social features, advertisements, etc. Works perfectly. :)

Think I might be going back to uTorrent, but an older version.

qBittorrent works fine but one file I am downloading containing some videos for a project I have going is constantly having an I/O error.

I checked the website and a lot of people are connecting this with AVAST, which I don't have installed.  I've ran [qBittorrent] as an Administrator as I read elsewhere but looks like I am going to have to sit here for the next few hours to restart the torrent.

Plus, speed limits (upload rather than download) don't seem to work at all.

I didn't have any of this with uTorrent, which is a shame.

I still use uTorrent 2.0.4.22967, it's not vulnerable to the DLL Hijacking Exploit, so is perfectly safe to use if you wish to use an older version.

However; there is a significant problem in the fact that I no longer have the Silk theme for uTorrent and it seems they've taken the skinning of it away.

Thank goodness for Web archives!

As I didn't keep anything from my Win 7 installation then it's going to be a long time scouring the internets :p

Maybe I should re-visit Deluge....  although I am sure it didn't show me a dialog that allowed me to pick what files I wanted in the torrent :s

Edited by Sir Topham Hatt

I use Deluge 1.3.6 on Linux, I'm extremely satisfied, it has all the features I need like adding blocklists, selecting files before adding a torrent, adding/removing trackers or changing the priority of trackers, setting different priorities for different torrents and different files in a torrent, I had used Transmission (default for Lubuntu) before switching to QBitTorrent and then Deluge, but I find Deluge to be lighter and it connects to more nodes faster than the other two, therefore with Deluge I get better speeds.

I use uTorrent  for downloading/seeding, but for torrent creation I use Deluge. I also have Deluge setup on a server so I can remote add torrents, and manage my torrents for seeding.

I use the latest uTorrent with the ad removal.

My biggest beef about Deluge is the lack of RSS Support. If it had RSS Support, I'd be happy as hell.

I use uTorrent 2.2.1 on my daily driver - nevermind using the newer builds ever since they've sold out. I also like the server-client functionality of Deluge, it works very well to run a server to seed torrents.

Maybe I should re-visit Deluge....  although I am sure it didn't show me a dialog that allowed me to pick what files I wanted in the torrent :s

I myself use Deluge. I used to use qTorrent, and like many others, ditched them when they got all bloat-y. If you liked the old qTorrent, you'll like Deluge.

And you definitely have a file selection menu when adding a torrent. At the very least, I do when adding torrents. Try again, I guess. What I will say is that I have noticed that some torrents don't immediately populate the file list, for some reason... But I don't think this is an issue with Deluge its self.