Windows 10: You can't disable reporting errors back to microsoft and where's network config options for setup?

So I've just installed windows 10, and a few things have managed to ###### me off thus far;

• In the setup screen, it will automatically use DHCP for your network - there is absolutely no option to change this to a static IP until you've booted to windows and done the pre-complete updates, so this really negates the point of installing updates before putting you into the OS if you can't do something as simple as configure your damn network card.

• There is absolutely no option to disable error reporting to microsoft - WHY!? Check their FAQ. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/feedback-diagnostics-privacy-faq - What really annoys me about this is during set I was asked if I wanted to send data back to microsoft and I changed all the toggles to NO, yet I boot into windows, lo and behold error reporting is set to 'enhanced' by default... Err, excuse me, that's not right?

I will admit the updates before booting into windows is great, back in the XP days if you installed fresh and booted, before you'd have a chance to even install updates you'd be getting automated bots scanning your system trying to exploit it so it's a step in the right direction.

Though I noticed during the post-setup phase all this eye candy 'Hi', 'Just setting up your pc...' - a simple message box would have sufficed in my opinion, that way more developer time could have been spent on, gosh I don't know, making sure something actually important was implemented like extension support in edge, right?

• Like 2

Also great job labelling new services such as CDPSvc, description: CDPSvc... ? dmwappushservice, description: WAP Push Message Routing Service.. WAP as in the old mobile internet or what? Time broker, description: Coordinates execution of background work for WinRT application... Windows RT applications? Spot verifier, description: Verifies potential file system corruptions... Is there any additional information on this? Sounds like a neat feature. embeddedmode, description: Embedded Mode... Another great description!

Remote registry disabled by default - wahay!

Not possible to remove US english language files from system, a step backwards.

Absolutely outstanding search capabilities.

Also a start menu with bugs that just decides to stop rendering at times and you have to close it and reopen it.

No option to enable a 'yes/no' dialogue if you select files and press delete?

search.png

Remote registry disabled by default - wahay!

This has been like this since Windows XP. And frankly, it's a good idea.

A funny bug that I've noticed : if you do an in-place upgrade, but choose to keep nothing, some files are still kept, and when the system logs on for the first time you are called defaultprofile0

This has been like this since Windows XP. And frankly, it's a good idea.

A funny bug that I've noticed : if you do an in-place upgrade, but choose to keep nothing, some files are still kept, and when the system logs on for the first time you are called defaultprofile0

It was enabled in XP, it used to be a very easy way to hack into corporate networks, and I thought it was enabled in windows 7 though it's been years since I looked.

I also noticed a windows.old folder appear after install, this was a blank hard drive - there was no previous windows install?

Also, the feedback icon from beta is still present in IE 11 - if they've dumped IE why do they want feedback for it haha? This really needed more testing. Definately a huge improvement over 8/8.1, but it's still not release quality.

ie.png

File association bug: Installed firefox, let it associate files to itself, create a .html file, it's got the firefox logo, click it and it asks me what application I want to open it in... This is simple stuff for crying out loud!

Edited by n_K

Absolutely outstanding search capabilities.

Also a start menu with bugs that just decides to stop rendering at times and you have to close it and reopen it.

No option to enable a 'yes/no' dialogue if you select files and press delete?

search.png

Yeah, it needs to build up a search index, it's normal.

• Like 3

I don't know if this is how it's expected to look in W10 with just a wired connection or what, but in 7 it showed a lot more information, in W10 it just seems to waste all the space with 100% padding?

wastedspace.png

All my devices have "static" IPs here but I do this by binding IPs to MAC addresses in my router. This way DHCP is your friend again. I found it works better than manually configuring the devices.

All my devices have "static" IPs here but I do this by binding IPs to MAC addresses in my router. This way DHCP is your friend again. I found it works better than manually configuring the devices.

The problem I have is that at one of my residences I have two LANs/WANs using the same switching equipment, one for my servers (which use business internet and have DHCP), my local internet uses static addressing through a different gateway.. I've got a limited number of hosts for my business line and each time something uses DHCP it locks one of my business line's hosts - and this really infuriates me, linux (not all distros but a lot), windows and mac all default to DHCP - great for home uses true but it screws up my network. So if (and this has happened) someone plugs their laptop into my connection, it'll use DHCP and screw me out of a business line IP, so now I'm only left with two that I can use.

Yet another bug - go to account settings, click 'add a workplace or school account', close the dialog then reopen it, it tries to load for 5 seconds then just closes by itself.

Not a major thing but why does the main windows loading logo have 6 dots that spin, and the smaller one have 5? Surely they could have used the same animation for both and just resized it?

File association bug: Installed firefox, let it associate files to itself, create a .html file, it's got the firefox logo, click it and it asks me what application I want to open it in... This is simple stuff for crying out loud!

I believe that this is intentional, to prevent programs from taking over defaults without user input.

This has GOT to be a joke right? To sign into the xbox application, you need to convert your login to a microsoft login?
The text doesn't even make sense 'Skip and use this login just for this application. In future when you sign into windows you will login with your microsoft account' like hell. So the text isn't even correct.
I'm not even surprised any more.

joke.png

In fact I think I've found a bug that tops all the other bugs. I went to put in my license key into the activation settings... After 5 seconds, the window just closes. All I do is open settings, click 'windows and security', click the activiation tab, and without doing anything, 5 seconds later is just closes (I'm guessing it's crashing but I'm not getting a notification)

TEN OUT OF TEN.

yeah, windows 10 will be as big of a joke as Vista ;) it was all fine when geeks where using the insider previews, but now that normal people get their hands on it, all hell will break loose.

Windows 11 here we come ;) 

yeah, windows 10 will be as big of a joke as Vista ;) it was all fine when geeks where using the insider previews, but now that normal people get their hands on it, all hell will break loose.

Windows 11 here we come ;) 

nope.

• Like 2

Here's what I hated...

I upgrade from Win7 64bit Pro. I had ALL of my settings set the way I wanted them. I upgraded, my login credentials were wiped from Windows after updating, and restarting. It refused to let me login with my local credentials, and forced me to use my Windows Live account. I'm sorry, but I find this to be unacceptable. I don't like having my computer login tied to my xbox live account, and everything else I use. I see it as a security flaw. Cloud is awesome, but I worry it isn't secure.

I will admit the updates before booting into windows is great, back in the XP days if you installed fresh and booted, before you'd have a chance to even install updates you'd be getting automated bots scanning your system trying to exploit it so it's a step in the right direction.

Not a new feature. Possible since Windows Vista.

Also, it is possible to disable Windows Error Reporting (e.g., through Group Policy or the Windows Registry). The options are just not exposed through the UI.
WER.thumb.png.f144c0450d9e35400cf7fb914e

yeah, windows 10 will be as big of a joke as Vista ;)

Windows Vista was not a joke. Rather, a major and powerful release.

Not a new feature. Possible since Windows Vista.

Also, it is possible to disable Windows Error Reporting (e.g., through Group Policy or the Windows Registry). The options are just not exposed through the UI.
WER.thumb.png.f144c0450d9e35400cf7fb914e

Windows Vista was not a joke. Rather, a major and powerful release.

I think you'll find the old group policy options are there for compatibility with windows 7 and maybe with windows 10 enterprise, they will probably by ignored like many of the other group policy options listed in another neowin thread.

I think you'll find the old group policy options are there for compatibility with windows 7 and maybe with windows 10 enterprise, they will probably by ignored like many of the other group policy options listed in another neowin thread.

Note that in the screenshot I posted, the Error Reporting feature is turned off.

Note that in the screenshot I posted, the Error Reporting feature is turned off.

It's not. Check through the group policy view, it tells you the setting is ignored if you are not on windows 10 enterprise.

All your screenshot shows is it won't check for solutions to problems, nothing about it submitting them or not.

Yeah, it needs to build up a search index, it's normal.

But when your intent is to complain about every little thing, who uses common sense and waits for a search index to be built?

• Like 3

But when your intent is to complain about every little thing, who uses common sense and waits for a search index to be built?

Yes because I'm sure the 98% of users will be aware that they need to wait for indexing to finish. Common sense would be to tell the user the index is being built like it does on OS X.

Yeah honestly I think that's Microsoft's logic, service release 1 is coming out earliest like maybe next week? Maybe a little later, but the point is, everyone nitpicks when something changes, old is always better. Over time though, you get used to the new way and/or the new way improves.

For example, I know I could never go back to Windows 8.1, sorry, no. Not happening. Windows 10 was the best thing to happen to Surface. I seriously feel like I'm using a little laptop, it's fantastic. Sure the touch experience isn't as great, right now I'm not very fond of the new start screen, too much blank space, they had it working good with horizontal scrolling, now it's kinda all in the middle leaving all this space. But this can all be fixed overtime. So I'm not worried at all.

But yea, like I can go from using my Surface like a legit laptop, then go to tablet mode and not feel like I'm compromising because I can do that. Sometimes I experience bugs, but overall I have a way better experience.

I feel like a lot of average people will nitpick about stuff that isn't real issues that Microsoft doesn't care if they experience some real issues in the process, getting the public to test the waters with Windows 10 and getting more telemetry data and feedback will help them speed up the process. They want everyone in the new system, while they work on updates to continue improving the experience.

So far I installed Windows 10 on 2 desktop PCs, 1 iMac, and my Surface 3. The experience on all of them is great. Yosemite destroyed the iMac's performance, ugh, was so glad to get rid of it, sure it's a mid-2007 model but after about 4 grand was spent, we aren't replacing it anytime soon, but Yosemite sure made us want to get rid of it. Funny though, once we put Windows 10 on it, it was performing how it used to back when it came with Leopard 10.5. Apple really tries to slow down old Macs with those new free upgrades to get you to buy new Macs...

The two PCs finally have a decent Windows OS, I don't like running old OSs on my PCs so Windows 7 was out of the question, Windows 8.1 was just horrible for mouse and keyboards. They haven't had any problems, running like champs.

My Surface 3, well yeah I talked about that, it's crazy how much functionality has been added by Continuum.

I'm sure you'll love Windows 10 soon enough, once it gets some updates, it will be release quality I'm sure. :)

Yes because I'm sure the 98% of users will be aware that they need to wait for indexing to finish. Common sense would be to tell the user the index is being built like it does on OS X.

It actually does that. On the top of the Start Menu it says something like "We are preparing search (and installing the worstest drivers we can find)".

I don't know if this is how it's expected to look in W10 with just a wired connection or what, but in 7 it showed a lot more information, in W10 it just seems to waste all the space with 100% padding?

wastedspace.png

It was the same in 8, it merges wired and wireless networks together and leaves room for all of them. Should shrink down to fit the list of options though, it doesn't need to be so big.

The problem I have is that at one of my residences I have two LANs/WANs using the same switching equipment, one for my servers (which use business internet and have DHCP), my local internet uses static addressing through a different gateway.. I've got a limited number of hosts for my business line and each time something uses DHCP it locks one of my business line's hosts - and this really infuriates me, linux (not all distros but a lot), windows and mac all default to DHCP - great for home uses true but it screws up my network. So if (and this has happened) someone plugs their laptop into my connection, it'll use DHCP and screw me out of a business line IP, so now I'm only left with two that I can use.

Yet another bug - go to account settings, click 'add a workplace or school account', close the dialog then reopen it, it tries to load for 5 seconds then just closes by itself.

Not a major thing but why does the main windows loading logo have 6 dots that spin, and the smaller one have 5? Surely they could have used the same animation for both and just resized it?

You should put your servers onto a separate VLAN then, you're the one with the odd network setup, 99.99% of people won't be running a odd config like that.

As francescob said, it does tell you it's updating the index.