Edge or Previous Browser?

Microsoft Edge? This thing is not ready yet. I'm saddened that this is the state they released it in actually, because there are some basic things that need to be addressed just in the first 5 minutes of playing with it.

Favorites for instance can be imported, but the Favorites Bar should have a link that goes straight to the Import dialog. There's literally no point in trying to get people to switch if you don't make it easy to, including switching from IE. I had a guy at work download it already on his home PC, saying he found it difficult to import from IE. I don't find it difficult, but I do see room for improvement.

Importing you say? Well, I didn't have bookmarks on IE to import, but I did from Chrome. The result? Completely awful. All my folders say "Links\" making it very annoying to sort out.

Then trying to navigate these menus, when you click a favorite menu on your favorites, it opens and stays open. By design? Okay, I'll take it. However, if I click on another folder, it simply closes the last folder I opened, leaving me to click again on the folder I'm trying to access. The result is an extra click for each folder you're opening, making navigation unnecessarily tedious.

I'm still giving it a go to try and flesh out my understanding of all this, so please don't take my notes as me just trying to paint Edge in a negative light. I'm simply giving it a thorough joyride for the next month to see how I like it, which will make it easier for me when patches and extensions come around.

Currently though, I just can't recommend it beyond those who don't mind the alpha/beta test feel. It's got great potential, but it really does need work.

I see no reason to use Edge/IE unless forced to at work, they are just not that good 

I'll stick with Chrome till something better comes out 

Just tried Edge again, what a steaming POS, it completely locked up loading Neowin and was a stuttery mess after that 

Using Edge, but having some frustrating moments because of it, like drag-and-drop file feature not working, and other things... But it's usable for me.

Love it on the desktop but on the current fast build on mobile it seems to refresh every other page every 5 seconds.

Edge has potential but as it is at the moment it's just too basic for me to switch from Chrome.

One of the weird Edge issues I notice quite a bit is that a tab will "flash" when attempting to open a new tab next to it. Other than that and the inability to disable smooth scrolling, I'm loving Edge - I even have full ad blocking and userscripts working. It's great! :D

• 1 month later...

Edge is good. it opens up really fast but will have to see how it performs with more complex browsing. Add ons, 30-40 tabs, memory usage, flash problems to name a few.

I used chrome for a long time but it crashed a lot(Aw snap on a new laptop first day after installing) so i switched to Slimjet web browser. As of now it looks good and far from any problems(4 months into using Slimjet)

I was (and still am) looking forward very much to using Edge, but it is just... a mess. I eagerly wait for them to make it work, but right now, even the bookmarks don't work. It makes no sense.