Re: Your continued insistence on Microsoft accounts

The wording of the dialog boxes seem to imply otherwise, but is it still possible to sign in with an account on a per-app basis  (into, say, Store, Xbox, etc.) without having to turn the whole Windows user account into one tied to a Microsoft account? You could on 8, and even 8.1, although 8.1 was really trying to push users to do this through dark patterns.

I want to keep my local account local.

Edited by Lirodon

After updating from 7 I stuck with a local account for login. Then when I wanted to use the store I setup my Microsoft one. When I launch MS apps they pop up a list of available accounts and I pick my MS one from there.

If you just want to use your MS account for the apps but not for Windows login, that works.

After updating from 7 I stuck with a local account for login. Then when I wanted to use the store I setup my Microsoft one. When I launch MS apps they pop up a list of available accounts and I pick my MS one from there.

If you just want to use your MS account for the apps but not for Windows login, that works.

Yeah, that didn't work for me. It FORCED me to use my MS Account. My password for my local account was a simple 1234abce!. It wouldn't let me login, and could only use my Live Account, otherwise it wanted to do a full wipe.

Although finally, the Mail app does not require a Microsoft account to start, and supports Google stuff now. That is something I will definitely make use of.

Although finally, the Mail app does not require a Microsoft account to start, and supports Google stuff now. That is something I will definitely make use of.

i never had a @live.com account, it's always been @gmail.com, and I'm thankful for that.

Now, I'd like to have multiple emails setup. :D

Someone on Reddit claims that there is a "skip this step" button for linking a Microsoft account to these affected apps when doing so. I want them linked for certain apps (i.e. Store) but I do not want to convert my local account.

Yes, I have to admit that the wording on some of these prompts is confusing as heck.  Signing into the store implied that your local account would need to be converted although it never happened, and also signing up for Insider Builds actually forced you to convert to a Microsoft account.  I mean, I like to think I know what I am doing when playing around with the internets machine.  At least you can use OneDrive now while being signed in with a local account.

I had this issue as well. When you are signing in click "sign in to just this app instead" it will leave your local user account alone and let you use the store and other apps. 

Just_this_app.thumb.PNG.d3219168022df740