AMD GPU issues on Windows 10

That's kinda weird. I have an Intel HD 3000 and AMD 6470M too, and nothing like that happens to me. Oh well.

Am starting to work on a theory but it is very much preliminary. Not enough data.

I guess Unifl 15.7 was also a no go?

Don't get me wrong. You are not the first person to have this issue this week. I have around 8 other reports from the last 48 hours.

Check this thread:http://leshcatlabs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=988

This is just the closest I could find to your specs. Matter of fact the specs are 1:1 but he has a G6.

yeah, I already tried unifl 15.7. My problem is same as his. Waiting for the solution. Thanks a lot!

yeah, I already tried unifl 15.7. My problem is same as his. Waiting for the solution. Thanks a lot!

You might be out of luck for a solution.

The only way is to report this bug to MS (Insider forums) and AMD (bug reports - good luck).

It is best to do both. MS has leverage over AMD right now.

Hello,

I own a Hp dv6-6156sl laptop which is equipped with a switchable AMD graphics card, AMD Radeon HD 6490M to be precise. Windows update correctly installed the proper drivers and I have no problem except the fact that all apps run using the intel 3000 graphics cards since they're all locked in power saving mode

amd1.thumb.PNG.ce44bcfccf14ab46abf335d4e

My CPU quickly overheats because it's doing all the work and I also have a toy video editor app which cannot run gpu-accelerated. I've also tried to uninstall the windows update driver and install amd provided drivers but there's no change.

I really need some help, please :laugh:

Thanks for your time

PS: I too had to modify that registry key in order to have decent boot times.

I have a dual GPU laptop, with a power saving GPU, integrated, from Intel and and a "high performance" GPU by AMD. Now, I just noticed this, but despite my settings in AMD's Catalyst Control Center, no application was running on the "high performance" GPU. To try to fix this, I decided to uninstall both drivers completely, starting with Intel then AMD, the opposite of what I usually do. Then, I installed AMD first then Intel, again the opposite of what I do usually.

This seems to have fixed the issue where no app is running on the AMD card, but created a new one. Whenever I open or close an application that is set to run on the AMD GPU, the computer freezes for a few seconds, and only then moves on. Using the application feels normal and fine, except when opening and closing them. 

Another issue is Windows 8 apps (I tried Asphalt 8, specifically) can't run in full screen using the AMD GPU. When I click the full screen button, said app crashes.

For reference, my GPUs are:
Intel HD Graphics 3000 (Intel core i3-2330M)
AMD Radeon 6470M (now referred to by Windows as AMD Radeon 7400M Series)

Please help.

are you on a laptop? Toshiba has the driver you'll need HERE (just input your system nomenclature)

Update from me:
I succesfully updated the 2012 (9.930?) driver to the 15-9-2014 (14.301.1001.0) version. At least CCC is installed now.
The backlight still works after the driver upgrade, but if it turn it down too much, my backlight turns off. Turning up the brightness turns the backlight back on. Any suggestions? Will try to see if CCC works.

Hello,

I own a Hp dv6-6156sl laptop which is equipped with a switchable AMD graphics card, AMD Radeon HD 6490M to be precise. Windows update correctly installed the proper drivers and I have no problem except the fact that all apps run using the intel 3000 graphics cards since they're all locked in power saving mode

My CPU quickly overheats because it's doing all the work and I also have a toy video editor app which cannot run gpu-accelerated. I've also tried to uninstall the windows update driver and install amd provided drivers but there's no change.

I really need some help, please :laugh:

Thanks for your time

PS: I too had to modify that registry key in order to have decent boot times.

Only way to unlock applications is to use my unlocker that gets deployed with the Unifl Catalyst 15.7 drivers. EnableULPS is already set to 0 in that release.

Update from me:
I succesfully updated the 2012 (9.930?) driver to the 15-9-2014 (14.301.1001.0) version. At least CCC is installed now.
The backlight still works after the driver upgrade, but if it turn it down too much, my backlight turns off. Turning up the brightness turns the backlight back on. Any suggestions? Will try to see if CCC works.

So you updated the OEM driver to circa Catalyst 14.11 and CCC suddenly works?

For the sudden cutoff in brightness control you need to mess with the FeatureTestControl dword.

Use the UBR FTC tool found here: http://leshcatlabs.net/downloads_unfil/

This db might help you once you wrapped your head around the tool: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qBer_p2xJVnYqG7T_GjYZf7CcdKo6SEwrMvApXkF_7g/pub?single=true&gid=0&output=html

Specifically note users which have the same OEM.

Specifically note users which have the same OEM.

Only one ASUS device shows up in the sheet. Tried it and it didn't work. Tried 4-5 ones for the same card (6470M) but none of 'em worked either.
I did find out something else: If 
KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2 isn't set to 1 the backlight never works on boot.

Edit while writing this: I found this person's Blogger blogpost:
http://leetcloud.blogspot.nl/2014/10/windows-81-brightness-fix-intel-hd.html (Archive)
I tried this user's fix and it seems to have worked! Brightness controls work, backlight works and it doesn't cut off below a certain level anymore! Note that rebooting a dozen times for UBR was totally useless, disabling/re-enabling the 6470M in Device Manager worked just fine.
Strange thing is: no Intel device (HD 3000?) ever showed up in devmgmt.msc in the past two weeks. Would this mean everything's only running on my 6470M?

Only one ASUS device shows up in the sheet. Tried it and it didn't work. Tried 4-5 ones for the same card (6470M) but none of 'em worked either.I did find out something else: If KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2 isn't set to 1 the backlight never works on boot.

Edit while writing this: I found this person's Blogger blogpost:
http://leetcloud.blogspot.nl/2014/10/windows-81-brightness-fix-intel-hd.html (Archive)
I tried this user's fix and it seems to have worked! Brightness controls work, backlight works and it doesn't cut off below a certain level anymore! Note that rebooting a dozen times for UBR was totally useless, disabling/re-enabling the 6470M in Device Manager worked just fine.
Strange thing is: no Intel device (HD 3000?) ever showed up in devmgmt.msc in the past two weeks. Would this mean everything's only running on my 6470M?

Uhh yeah. So if you do not have an Intel HD 3000 then the FeatureTestControl value does not apply to you at all. It is purely an Intel dword which is important for brightness control on Intel + switchable graphics in fixed switching mode.

What this blogger shows is these 2 dwords that he puts into the AMD location: 

"KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2"=dword:00000000
"KMD_EnableBrightnesslf2"=dword:00000000 

He also has FFFF for the value of FTC. Which means (if you had a PXAI device) that brightness would work at full without any possibility of control.

It is most likely that these 2 values are the only ones that made a difference for you.

I was really under the impression that you had an Intel HD 3000. So yes .. if you do not have switchable settings .. then you are running purely on the dGPU.