Sound when turning off desktop pc.

So I didn't have this problem until I installed windows 10. I'm not sure if it's related or what.

When turning off my desktop PC, something (I assume the fans) speed up or whirl, sounds like it's off, one final whirl and off. Every time. The temps are all good and normal. I'm curious to what it could be. It only started yesterday.

Here is the video/audio of it.  I had my phone right next to the vent so it could pick up the sound better.

There are no issues, and everything seems to be going ok

to me, it sounds like HDD's powering up. 

if you have any additional HDD's in the case, it might be the sound of them powering up just before shutdown, have no idea why. though 

to me, it sounds like HDD's powering up. 

if you have any additional HDD's in the case, it might be the sound of them powering up just before shutdown, have no idea why. though 

I have one SSD, and two HDD.  Never did this before yesterday.  I did checks of them and they all come back ok. 

i dont think it's because there is a problem, it's probably more some kind of system check windows is doing. i have a few external and internal drives, they do power up just before shutdown, running windows 7. 

• Like 2

i dont think it's because there is a problem, it's probably more some kind of system check windows is doing. i have a few external and internal drives, they do power up just before shutdown, running windows 7. 

thanks.  I hope that's all this is. 

• 3 months later...

Fast boot makes a hibernation file so when you power on, it's a restore from hibernation state and not really a full boot.

Actually, few people realize that is the default and so if you power off and then on again, you are NOT actually rebooting your PC in the traditional sense. You need to remember to do a "restart" every so often...

Fast boot makes a hibernation file so when you power on, it's a restore from hibernation state and not really a full boot.

Actually, few people realize that is the default and so if you power off and then on again, you are NOT actually rebooting your PC in the traditional sense. You need to remember to do a "restart" every so often...

Thanks.  I'll probably just leave it off. 

Not much point, it'll just slow your boot, and there's no negative effects other than that every once in a while you actually need to hit the restart button rather than shutdown, and tbh, when you do windows updates every month it'll do a proper restart then. so you hardly have to even do it yourself.

Yep, that feature is causes a lot of issues for people, because (while people will argue with me) 95% of them restart their computer turn it off and turn it back on.

if your OS is on a SSD its pointless anyways mate, i have hibernation disabled also and power them on and off when required, still sub 10 second boot times.

So this is becoming annoying.  

Is there any way to figure out how it's happening or why?

Have you updated the BIOS? An updated BIOS might improve things. 

Have you updated the BIOS? An updated BIOS might improve things. 

Yeah it's the most recent one I can do.

if your OS is on a SSD its pointless anyways mate, i have hibernation disabled also and power them on and off when required, still sub 10 second boot times.

Yeah I have an SSD currently.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/16/2015, 8:15:27, BinaryData said:

Glad you figured this out, your problem helped me fix a friends PC. Against all advice, she bought a crappy HP Desktop. =/

No problem!