Killer of Cecil the lion should be extradited, Zimbabwe says

The American dentist who killed Cecil the lion a month ago in Zimbabwe paid for an illegal hunt and should be extradited to the southern African nation to face justice, environment minister Oppah Muchinguri said on Friday.

In a news conference, Muchinguri referred to 55-year-old Walter Palmer as a "foreign poacher" and said she understood the Prosecutor General had started the process to have him extradited from the United States.

"We are appealing to the responsible authorities for his extradition to Zimbabwe so that he can be held accountable for his illegal action," she said.

Palmer has admitted killing the 13-year-old predator, a favorite with foreign tourists and the subject of an Oxford University study, but said he had hired professional guides and believed all the necessary hunting permits were in order.

Muchinguri also said Palmer's use of a bow and arrow to kill the lion, who is said to have been lured out of Hwange National Park with bait before being shot, was in contravention of Zimbabwean hunting regulations.

Palmer, a life-long big game hunter, managed to return to the United States before the authorities were aware of the controversy around Cecil's death.

"It was too late to apprehend the foreign poacher because he had already absconded to his country of origin," Muchinguri said.

The killing has sparked social media outrage against Palmer in the United States. The White House said on Thursday it would review a public petition of more than 100,000 signatures to have him extradited.

Source: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/killer-of-cecil-the-lion-should-be-extradited-zimbabwe-says/ar-BBlg6EO

As well as he should be.  Been watching this story as it unfolded ... and it is just sickening.  If nothing else, hopefully his dental practice fails.

Though I do not really mind hunters who eat what they shoot...luring this Lion out of the safety of its park with bait ... shooting it with a bow (but not killing it) .. and then tracking the animal for 40 hours (while it suffered) before finally killing it.  All of this just to get the head and skin.  Dispicable actions.

some valid, some not, cow is not endangered species, animal torture in slaughterhouses is a whole different scenario than huntint for teh lolz. While he does raise a point, hysteria like this helps to get attention to those other endangered species, but lets face it, this is the only way something gets noticed. :/ 

while i don't agree with all his points, the idea that one cows/chickens life is worth less then a lions, rubs me the wrong way.

for a lion to suffer for 24 hours, it is a huge deal, while the cows/chickens suffer ALL THEIR LIFE and no one cares.

they are are both animals that can experience pain.  

but if we eat it, it suddenly makes it ok?

if so, then the china markets, that sell shark fins for food consumption,  are all good, no??? after all, they eat them. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

PS. I am just playing a devil's advocate here to be honest.

Edited by e.worm jimmmy

Why "Big Game Hunting" is even a thing is pretty deplorable to begin with, but this guy is a scum bag regardless. As soon as he learned about what he did, he should have turned himself in.

To me, the Zimbabwe government is clearly in the right for requesting extradition. If it doesn't happen, it's yet another glaring sign that our legal system is completely f'd up.

I don't think they are all that much interesting to be honest.

Humans kill animals to eat. We get that. Yeah some people have a problem with that but i would say about 95% of people don't have any problem with that. Could some slaughterhouses do things better? Probably. But that's another completely different topic that is irrelevant to this story imo.

Do i care he killed a lion? Punctually speaking not really. But according to Zimbabwe officials he did not respect the hunting laws in vigor there. This i have a big problem with if it is true. I have nothing against hunters. My dad is one and when i was young i went hunting with him often. I have nothing against killing animals to eat and to an extend control the population size.

But the action of hunting must be supervised and controlled. If you let people do whatever they want some species will disappear from earth quickly. And this i also have a big problem with. So if he did not respect the laws he should be extradited.

• Like 1

Not really.  I mean it does shed light on other points (like animal cruelty in slaughterhouses) ... but it doesn't change the fact that Cecil was lured out of its safe haven and killed illegally.  It was an illegal hunting of a lion tagged for scientific purposes unilaterally for the purpose of ego and not the food chain.

• Like 1

I am all for killing animals for food as long as they are raised in good environments.  These chicken/cattle farms where animals are kept indoors and packed in so tight they cannot move around need to stop.  Killing for sport/show is just plain stupid and serves no purpose.

...and now Cecil's "brother" Jericho has been illegally killed.  :(

(CNN)The brother of slain Cecil the lion, named Jericho, was killed Saturday in Hwange National Park in Zimbabwe, a senior park official told CNN.

Jericho was gunned down by a hunter operating illegally, said Johnny Rodrigues, head of the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force.

Cecil was also killed illegally, provoking an international outrage because he was a protected animal, and Zimbabwe is seeking the extradition of American dentist Walter Palmer on accusations that he and others illegally hunted the lion, authorities said.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/01/world/cecil-the-lion-brother-jericho-illegally-killed/index.html

Some humans just flat out suck.

Correction by CNN. 

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/02/world/cecil-the-lion-brother-jericho-alive/index.html

(CNN)Jericho the lion is alive and well and roaming his park habitat in Zimbabwe, the Oxford University researcher tracking the lion confirmed on Sunday.

Brent Stapelkamp dismissed reports that the lion had been killed, saying a GPS device on Jericho didn't suggest anything out of the ordinary. Furthermore, the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force, which told CNN and other media Saturday that poachers had killed Jericho, retracted those statements on Sunday.

The head of the conservation task force, Johnny Rodrigues, said in a new statement that the erroneous information was the result of mistaken identity. Rodrigues said that another lion had been killed, something that CNN cannot immediately verify.

As proof of life, Oxford University tweeted a photo of Jericho, taken by Stapelkamp early Sunday morning.

Sucks for the other lion though.

Edited by jjkusaf
Correction to original article

while i don't agree with all his points, the idea that one cows/chickens life is worth less then a lions, rubs me the wrong way.

for a lion to suffer for 24 hours, it is a huge deal, while the cows/chickens suffer ALL THEIR LIFE and no one cares.

Where I come from, all livestock raised for food are well looked after and lead peaceful lives, and when they're killed, it's done painlessly, so I dunno where you live where they suffer, but maybe you should do something about that...

I am all for killing animals for food as long as they are raised in good environments.  These chicken/cattle farms where animals are kept indoors and packed in so tight they cannot move around need to stop.  Killing for sport/show is just plain stupid and serves no purpose.

If that's going on in your country, your government needs new legislation.