What are your biggest Windows 10 bugbears?

I only have a couple to be honest that I have come across so far, Live tiles are not neither live nor accurate... I cant get the weather tile to show a location other than London, which is only a few hundred miles away from my current location. But my biggest irritation is my ELAN Touchpad (Synaptics) not allowing for two finger scrolling. It is really becoming an annoyance now, but hopefully drivers will be updated in due course.

What about you, what things have you come across that annoy you. Now I'm not talking about failed installs or error codes, those are bugs not bugbears. :)

bugbear
[ ˈbʌgbɛː ]

NOUN
plural noun: bugbears
  1. a cause of obsessive fear, anxiety, or irritation.
    "the biggest villain is that adman's bugbear, saturated fat"
    synonyms: pet hate · hate · bane · irritant · irritation · dislike · anathema

I think that there are many features that are appealing.

I'm also irritated that many aspects are buggy - you've mentioned the Schrödinger's tiles. Unfortunately, I think this carries across many features within the apps themselves, Mail being something completely unusable for me due to its inability to automatically check mail, and due to my inability to configure the app so that it can send mail through our org's servers.

I think Task View and the updated command prompt/Powershell programs are excellent.

• Like 2

The Mail app is my biggest gripe still. It just doesn't work. I ended up reinstalling Windows Live Mail until they can get their act together.

1. It usually doesn't check my e-mail.
  2. It usually doesn't post a notification to the action center.
  3. It usually doesn't update the tile and if it does it's for an old e-mail that I've already deleted.
  4. The method for switching between accounts is absolutely unintuitive.

I'm not to fond of the way tiles are rearranged on the start screen. Trying to get them to drop where I want them is like herding cats.

settings..... gawd the settings are horrible.......

first of all half the stuff is missing now, second off half is in one control panel the other half is in another......

they REALLY need to get a 100% merge done and be done with it...

that and why in the world are the title bars different so many ways... colored ones, black ones, all white ones.... depending on the app or if its a win32 program or not..... ANNOYING! Make it all the darn same!

The audio is buggy.  It will not save your settings properly I notice.

yeah, for me with a realtek chip the audio that use to be very loud at 25% is now barely hearable at 100% with the speakers turned up all the way also...

They removed the option (without a hack) to put different wallpaper on different monitors. On Windows 8.1 you could right click an image in the wallpaper section and select Monitor 1, 2, 3 or 4 ... Now it's just picture for all monitors. That's annoying.

• Like 2

yeah, for me with a realtek chip the audio that use to be very loud at 25% is now barely hearable at 100% with the speakers turned up all the way also...

i've noticed that as well. Have realtek as well. Hope this issue is resolved soon.

some other bugs i'e had, installer just crashes when I try to uninstall a program. I have to manually go into program directory, and HOPE that i can find the uninstaller for the program I am wanting to get rid of.

Notification Center seems off. I get notifications for messages and alerts that I've already dealt with minutes or hours ago. Such as on Facebook Messenger for Desktop, and my mail app MailBird. Maybe those developers have to change something on their end to work better with notification center? i don't know.

If you use anything in the Windows Store you can install within the store but you can't uninstall in the store... android/iphone after clicking install the button changes to uninstall. with windows you have to go to the control panel to remove it. 

No way to make custom tiles currently. All of my pinned apps look really stupid with medium tiles and a small icon in the middle. 

The Mail app is my biggest gripe still. It just doesn't work. I ended up reinstalling Windows Live Mail until they can get their act together

Who is your mail provider?  Works fine here.

they REALLY need to get a 100% merge done and be done with it...

that and why in the world are the title bars different so many ways... colored ones, black ones, all white ones.... depending on the app or if its a win32 program or not..... ANNOYING! Make it all the darn same!

I sure hope that never happens.

I have to say, I can't think of a single over reaching bugbear.  Not sure if I've ever felt that way before.  Clearly the apps are in flux still but the core is solid and beautiful.

I sure hope that never happens.

I have to say, I can't think of a single over reaching bugbear.  Not sure if I've ever felt that way before.  Clearly the apps are in flux still but the core is solid and beautiful.

you sure hope what never happens? consistency?

Mail tiles are 100% dead for me. I had one Hotmail, one Gmail, and one edu account set up for two days. Regardless of whether the app was set to show messages as they arrive or poll for new messages every X minutes, the app failed to notify me of a single e-mail. Retrieving new mail required switching to each account and hitting refresh manually. :( I look forward to the Mail developers redeeming themselves in a future update. Clearly they have plenty of feedback on the issues.

Also just saw this. Them settings.

weather.png

My irritation with windows 10 is with cortana and when my wife uses her laptop in the same room as mine. If I speak to cortana my wifes laptop's cortana goes off and searches for what I wanted to search for as well. 

you sure hope what never happens? consistency?

If that is what you think consistency is, buy a Mac.  It has zero place here.  Windows isn't a document model, never has been, never will be.

Per the email, sounds like a reset may be in order?  Have you tested in a new profile?

Privacy issues, telemetry, inconsistencies in UI and Settings, few random explorer crashes here and there, forced windows driver updates.

Deleting Files/Folders and the dialog box to confirm delete stays behind the File Explorer window, while the taskbar icon keeps flashing. So annoying have to switch to it again to show the dialog box. .

The new start menu is rubbish. Removal of the ability to right click icons and select "pin to taskbar" in particular annoyed me. I went to StartIsBack pretty quickly. The fact that the spyware style telemetry is still on is also questionable to say the least, I don't really want the contents of my files sent to Microsoft. Thankfully both relatively easy to remedy.

Launching edge without addon support was also questionable. The browser has potential, but sadly any speed gains acquired through the engine modifications get lost thanks to advertising. Once it gets adblocking capability I think it has the potential to be a great browser.

Edited by Javik

Edge download manager stops when you close the browser (IE would open a separate download window if you close the browser) and doesn't resume if you open Edge back up. It doesn't show up in the past downloads but keep the partial download on your system. Any big downloads I have to open IE and use it's download manager.

Hate the new Windows update (yes even the Pro version) had to get wushowhide.diagcab to keep some bad drivers from installing, really a pain.

really not that fond of the new layout may go to classic shell after a bit.

if I open too many new windows from links the Edge browsers vanishes on me (it's a lot of links but It's happened on two different computers) one reg and one still running the fast ring insider release. *mostly just sticking with Firefox or chrome plus I like having my add-ons\extensions.

My irritation with windows 10 is with cortana and when my wife uses her laptop in the same room as mine. If I speak to cortana my wifes laptop's cortana goes off and searches for what I wanted to search for as well. 

In the Cortana settings, you should be able to tell it to only respond to you.

cortana.thumb.jpg.c450dd438623bebbe83111

A bugbear i have is the notification area lighting up when there's no notification to be read.
I get all excited and then... booo, nothing.

• Like 2

There's too many bugs to list, they're all mostly as annoying as each other

Deleting Files/Folders and the dialog box to confirm delete stays behind the File Explorer window, while the taskbar icon keeps flashing. So annoying have to switch to it again to show the dialog box. .

How did you get it to confirm deleting files or folders? On mine it just deletes them without confirmation and I can't find a setting in explorer's settings list for it?

The new start menu is rubbish. Removal of the ability to right click icons and select "pin to taskbar" in particular annoyed me. I went to StartIsBack pretty quickly. The fact that the spyware style telemetry is still on is also questionable to say the least, I don't really want the contents of my files sent to Microsoft. Thankfully both relatively easy to remedy.

Launching edge without addon support was also questionable. The browser has potential, but sadly any speed gains acquired through the engine modifications get lost thanks to advertising. Once it gets adblocking capability I think it has the potential to be a great browser.

Err...

pin.png

How did you get it to confirm deleting files or folders? On mine it just deletes them without confirmation and I can't find a setting in explorer's settings list for it
Option is in Recycle Bin > Properties.
  • Like 4