What are your biggest Windows 10 bugbears?

All sort of broken drivers pulled in during the setup, drivers on WU aggressively replacing some I've installed myself, no decent way to handle updates even on Win8 pro, Win8RTM-like random profile names (e.g. franc instead of Francesco, how many times do they have to fix that?), broken start menu app search (requires reboots), and likely many others I haven't had the time to discover yet since I'm still trying to get one install right.

No Dark theme across all Microsoft Apps, c'mon MS, and Edge will not stay where I shut it down.  I move it to secondary monitor and it ALWAYS opens on the primary monitor..so frustrating...

There's too many bugs to list, they're all mostly as annoying as each other

How did you get it to confirm deleting files or folders? On mine it just deletes them without confirmation and I can't find a setting in explorer's settings list for it?

Err...

pin.png

You can do ad blocking with Edge with Adguard.

white title bars. yikes!

So much this.  You can add themes which allows you to adjust the color .... however .... you get a really ugly box around the text if the window is inactive.

I have no idea why Microsoft will not bring the colored title bars back with text that you can read.  I just want black title bars with white text...not sure why that is so hard.

Other little "bugbears".  

1) Inability to rearrange (or create) folders and shortcuts in the start menu...yet it is touted by Microsoft as being customizable?  What? Aside from re-sizing and moving tiles...really isn't much to it.

2) Overall it just seems unfinished...like it is still a Insider Preview.  So much inconsistency with the UI / Settings / etc.

3) Though I will say it is better on this secondary notebook than the Windows 8 that came with it.  Still not "sold" on installing it on my Windows 7 computers.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

The OP specifically stated not 'bugs' but 'bugbears'.

No Dark theme across all Microsoft Apps, c'mon MS, and Edge will not stay where I shut it down.  I move it to secondary monitor and it ALWAYS opens on the primary monitor..so frustrating...

You can do ad blocking with Edge with Adguard.

Not sure what blocking ads has to do with pinning icons to the taskbar from the start menu but erm thanks? Haha.

I just noticed, in the weather application you can get a weather map of the different temperatures continent wide. I say continent wide because it will only show me the UK and parts of europe, I can't go west or north more than the UK, I can't go east into russia, and I can't go south below turkey? WHY!? WHAT THE HECK!?

The new start menu is rubbish. Removal of the ability to right click icons and select "pin to taskbar" in particular annoyed me.

pintotaskbar.jpg

pintotaskbar1.jpg

They removed the option (without a hack) to put different wallpaper on different monitors. On Windows 8.1 you could right click an image in the wallpaper section and select Monitor 1, 2, 3 or 4 ... Now it's just picture for all monitors. That's annoying.

Yep, I'm noticing that as well, yet it was fine recently for my synchronised theme during the insider releases - I don't get that. :s

Audio driver issues, and the crazy non-unified UI are my biggest issues. That, and apps are pretty bad. There's no one thing that doesn't work, just a general... distaste for them (even though I want to like them!), for whatever reason.

Basically, this OS needs some polish, but I haven't found any bugs that I can't handle.

If that is what you think consistency is, buy a Mac.  It has zero place here.  Windows isn't a document model, never has been, never will be.

Per the email, sounds like a reset may be in order?  Have you tested in a new profile?

Please tell me you don't design software for a living.... have you ever seen the windows design guide lines? you know... the thing that says how to make consistent experiences in well um windows? MS has published one every version of windows for as long as I can remember... back to windows 3.0 if you want to know how far back that was...

How did you get it to confirm deleting files or folders? On mine it just deletes them without confirmation and I can't find a setting in explorer's settings list for it?

Err...

pin.png

Didn't have that option on mine, I had to use a tweaking program to get it to show. Must have got a bugged upgrade

In Windows I've always placed my browser of choice in position so that I can hit "Start" then "down arrow" & "enter" to open it. But Windows 10 has kind of ruined this.

On the Start menu one has to hit "down arrow", "right arrow", "down arrow" to get to the first tile.

On the Start Screen one has to hit "down arrow" three times to get to the first tile.

Anyone else found this annoying?

Another thing I must complain about is that the upgrade process is annoyingly variable. I've had 2 machines upgrade perfectly, 1 need to be reset, and one that's broken so badly that I can't even reset it (ironically the badly broken machine only has office, and some small utilities on it). Microsoft still seem unable to deliver a consistent upgrade process, which deeply concerns me given how many devices Windows 10 is being rolled out to.

Unless I'm missing something, it appears as though the Start menu doesn't display all desktop applications. I've had to search for them.

I think this is a bug that Peter Bright at Ars Technica encountered.  Apparently the Start Menu apps list is based on a database with a 512 entry limit.  If you have more than 512 apps installed some won't be visible/searchable and uninstalling won't fix the problem.  Apparently a fix from MS is coming soon.

No placeholders in Onedrive, its all or nothing. People App cannot make a call using skype.

These are known issues.  New Skype apps are due out later this summer and I've seen rumours that MS will bring back placeholders in Onedrive soon.

My biggest gripe is with the start menu.  After a few clicks to remove ALL the apps listed as new (even though they were there before the upgrade), it would stop working all together.  If you uninstalled an app, you would have to reboot to get it to clear.

Plex app would not play half the videos from my server, even though they played fine before hand.

Flash would work half the time, and the other half wouldn't even play correctly.  I had to uninstall/reinstall it just to get the WWENetwork playing last night.

I reverted back to Windows 8.1 on my laptop until they have worked out some of these bugs.

Stuff I really don't like:

• Inability to disable windows defender permininetly and hide notifications.
  • Windows Update gives you nearly no control at all.
  • Not usually a "Privacy Advocate" but the "telemetry" sent by default unless you own Enterprise, is slightly alarming.

Stuff I wish they'd just change (but likely won't)

• Bring back the tablet mode shortcut right in the corner, directly on the start menu.
  • Custom tile images... never going to happen but hopefully a 3rd party dev will bring it back like obblytile.
  • Tiles not snapping into place like they used to, allowing weird gaps and spacing.
  • Vertical scrolling in tablet mode on start screen.
  • Why don't all modenUI apps have a fullscreen button?

In a completely strange turn of events the automatic and somewhat controversial windows update system seems to have just cured my bugbares.

I have just had installed without any input from myself the "Lenovo Companion" application, which in turn installed "SystemInterfaceFoundation.exe" via a Lenovo Software Download website visited after opening Lenovo Companion. As a result, my two-finger scrolling is back using my trackpad and perhaps somewhat unrelated my weather tile is now showing the weather for my current location.

The two-finger scrolling is a little jumpy, like a scatter brained two year old but, I have the functionality back at least. I'm now going to trawl through the app a little and find out what its all about. This was on a Lenovo G50-45 with the AMD A8-6410 and R5 graphics.

Even though I am certainly not a Windows man, I would say to those with issues to give it the full month before reverting back to your previous installation just to ensure that these little annoyances don't get seen to pretty quickly. As for forced windows updates, my experience so far has saved me the bother of trawling the internet to look for fixes and app to download so that cant really be a bad thing in my case on this system.

edit: 2 finger context menu also! How good is that :D

If that is what you think consistency is, buy a Mac.  It has zero place here.  Windows isn't a document model, never has been, never will be.

Per the email, sounds like a reset may be in order?  Have you tested in a new profile?

I can't say that I have any idea what you're talking about?  Are you saying all the control panel / setting options shouldn't be available in one place?

But my biggest irritation is my ELAN Touchpad (Synaptics) not allowing for two finger scrolling. It is really becoming an annoyance now, but hopefully drivers will be updated in due course.

That annoyed me on my Lenovo Z50, until I found Windows 10 ELAN drivers on the Lenovo website which sorted it.

I don't know if this is a bug with Win10 or my ASUS X205TA laptop. But, when I use the FN key, I can't control my brightness/airplane mode/etc, but I can control my volume.