Buying Expired Domain

Question

I would like to buy a domain that I know will be expiring soon, in a few months or so. I also know that the domain is registered with namecheap. How do I go about doing this? I've never brought expired domains before. What happens once a domain expires, can I just bid on it or something? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

20 answers to this question

Can not really do anything until it actually expires - its quite possible they have just not renewed it yet.  And then its a long waiting period to be honest

https://community.namecheap.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5168

Expired domains: When are they available?

I once forgot to renew my domain :(

Now http://seahorsepip.com is for sale at $2795,- :cry:

Those damn "premium" domain thiefs, as if anyone is gonna buy it at such price....

Edited by Seahorsepip
  • Like 2

Those damn "premium" domain thiefs, as if anyone is gonna buy it at such price....

They did the same thing with one of my domains. I wrote a script to check for availability to register the domain and waited about a year and got it back. 

I know the owner doesn't use it and forgot about it,  but he won't sell it to me.  So I know it will expire in a few months.  So after it expires, can I buy it or is there some kind of auction or something?  It's also a very specific weird name so I doubt anyone would want it.

I had a domain stolen by a friend, it was called "XandiumOnline.com" "XandiumStudios.com" and the .net versions. I left my logins saved on a server we were sharing, and he jacked it all. No legal reprecussions could happen, it was entirely my fault. Those domains are worth well over $1,000 each now :(

@ OP

I know with GoDaddy, you can bid or be notified when the domains are set to expire. For sh**s and giggles I put a request in for Google.com, but so far I haven't been able to get it :p (I was bored one day)

Can not really do anything until it actually expires - its quite possible they have just not renewed it yet.  And then its a long waiting period to be honest

https://community.namecheap.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5168

Expired domains: When are they available?

So after it expires + 27 days (grace period) + 80-85 (redemption period), so roughly 112 days after it expires it'll be available to purchase?  Is this correct?

Yes, unless it gets renewed in between that time, or one of the many domain trolls gets it first. I had a domain I forgot to renew and then I expired and I refused to pay GoDaddy $80. on top of the registration to renew it after it expires, so I decided to wait it out and it got scooped up the minute it became available by what I call a domain troll, but they're are companies and people who monitor the list of domains that will be readily available for registration, so they can have it for advertising. A year the domain was not renewed by them. So I got it back.

I have a domain name registered that some company wanted but they were not willing to pay my price for it, so I renew it every year just so they can't have it. If they ever want it the price is now triple of my original asking price.
I had the domain name long before the company existed.

They did the same thing with one of my domains. I wrote a script to check for availability to register the domain and waited about a year and got it back. 

Can you post the script or send it in a pm? thanks :D

Yes, unless it gets renewed in between that time, or one of the many domain trolls gets it first. I had a domain I forgot to renew and then I expired and I refused to pay GoDaddy $80. on top of the registration to renew it after it expires, so I decided to wait it out and it got scooped up the minute it became available by what I call a domain troll, but they're are companies and people who monitor the list of domains that will be readily available for registration, so they can have it for advertising. A year the domain was not renewed by them. So I got it back.

I have a domain name registered that some company wanted but they were not willing to pay my price for it, so I renew it every year just so they can't have it. If they ever want it the price is now triple of my original asking price.
I had the domain name long before the company existed.

So what companies can I use to make sure no domain trolls get to it first?

Mur.ca is currently on sale for $3,500 and my real name (Austin) has my ccTLD available (Austin.ca) but is reserved because we have a town with that name. I just can't win when it comes to domains either :'(

Mur.ca is currently on sale for $3,500 and my real name (Austin) has my ccTLD available (Austin.ca) but is reserved because we have a town with that name. I just can't win when it comes to domains either :'(

You can try add your first letter of your last name to it... like this: AustinT.ca   which T is your last name letter.   Up to you.  Or MurK.ca   whatever you like.

aust.in is also already taken :/ Though you might be able to get it when begging on his mail address: black.water.buffalo@gmail.com but his last name is austin so I highly doubt he'll sell his domain xD

aust.in is also already taken :/ Though you might be able to get it when begging on his mail address: black.water.buffalo@gmail.com but his last name is austin so I highly doubt he'll sell his domain xD

Already spoke with the gentleman who original purchased it way back when, he (and his entire family) has the last name of Austin so they use that as their entire email setup and he wasn't willing to get rid of it even when I offered $1,500 :pinch:

• Like 1

My last name is unique, and there is no domain for it :( 

.ps, .qa, .re, .ec are still available but kinda weird domain extensions :/

I've been sitting on a 6 character domain name .com and everything which ties into my city as they use the .org version of it. I'd like to sell it to them but my city doesn't have the money lol cause well I wouldn't sell it for less than say $5000 at least.

I've been sitting on a 6 character domain name .com and everything which ties into my city as they use the .org version of it. I'd like to sell it to them but my city doesn't have the money lol cause well I wouldn't sell it for less than say $5000 at least.

Honestly not even worth it, as you start to get more and more in SEO you realize that the extensions can be meaningless, $5,000 may be worth it if they REALLY had enough people going to the .com domain, but you'd have to provide some solid analytics to back up your request.