Microsoft under fire over collecting user data in new Windows 10

Just days after a smooth launch of its Windows 10 OS, Microsoft has come under fire for its approach to user privacy. The latest OS by Microsoft was installed in more than 14 million systems in a day of going public, however, it is now being criticised for its default settings that apparently send personal information to Microsoft.

After a recent discovery that the so-called free game of Solitaire is laden with ads unless you pay to make it ad-free, users have now reported that some of the default settings of Windows 10 uses bandwidth to upload data to other computers running the OS, shares Wi-Fi passwords with online friends and removes the ability to opt out of security updates.

With this information, Microsoft is able to send personalised ads to users when they surf the web or make new downloads. Other than that, its digital assistant Cortana collects data from the device, such as emails, text messages, calendars, call log, etc. to provide better ‘assistance’ the next time you use these apps.

Although Microsoft is giving users the option to opt out of most of the data collection; some of the base settings still do not offer sufficient choices. For example, Windows 10 offers only two settings when it comes to Windows Update: either install and restart immediately, or install and ask permission to restart. The option to not install updates does not appear to be present on the base version of the OS.

Meanwhile, some researchers have also criticised Microsoft for its terms of service, which allow it to share user data based on nothing more than ‘good faith’ belief that doing so is required to comply with law enforcement agencies and protect user privacy.

More....
http://www.ibnlive.com/news/tech/microsoft-under-fire-over-collecting-user-data-in-new-windows-10-1028964.html

• Like 2

Great to see some of the not so good aspects of windows 10 starting to get coverage.

The defaults and the hoops users have to jump through to opt out of the data and telemetry collection is very poor and clearly not something MS wants people to do.

• Like 3

Just took a look at Solitaire... $1.49 a month or $9.99 a year for no ads.  Really Microsoft?

It has been like that since 2012, why does suddenly everyone complain about it?

And once again, this article goes over such basic things. If you don't want Cortana to collect data from your calendar, contacts and emails, then don't use it. Cortana needs that data to notify you for what you have to attend to or to send mails to begin with.

The ad ID is another point they seem to complain about while that can be disabled (heck, if I'm not wrong, it is even asked during upgrade and installation whether or not this should be enabled), and it is also how another big company named Google makes it fortune...

You know, all these claims that Windows 10 doesn't respect your privacy only make clear some people don't follow the RTFS-principle. I mean, seriously, most of this is explained in the "Use Express setttings or customize" screen during initial configuration.

Edited by Studio384

People are looking for reasons to hate Windows now that they can't complain about 8.

Just took a look at Solitaire... $1.49 a month or $9.99 a year for no ads.  Really Microsoft?

It's been this way in Windows 8, plus seriously? Do you use Solitaire that much? Do ads really bother you? Would you like to instead play 100+ dollars for Windows 10? How about ads in the OS like Amazon does with the Kindle on the lock screen?

Great to see some of the not so good aspects of windows 10 starting to get coverage.

The defaults and the hoops users have to jump through to opt out of the data and telemetry collection is very poor and clearly not something MS wants people to do.

How is this great? :/ people moaning about a non-issue. This privacy stuff can all be disabled. People and their tin-foil hats :no: 

Wow.. Not a free upgrade after all? I would understand if this was the free Bing version like 8.1. Maybe there will be a Win 10 w/Bing! ?

It's still free.

• Like 2

Because some cavemen came out of their caves last week and prayed to the FUD god to worsen the weather conditions.

How is this great? :/ people moaning about a non-issue. This privacy stuff can all be disabled. People and their tin-foil hats :no: 

It's still free.

Clearly it is an issue for some people.  Why do some people insist on people who ask questions or raise potential issues being complainers zzzz pointless post is pointless.

If you think this OS is free and not paid for by selling your data you can keep the tin foil hat and wear it as a badge of honour for naivety.

It's been this way in Windows 8, plus seriously? Do you use Solitaire that much? Do ads really bother you? Would you like to instead play 100+ dollars for Windows 10? How about ads in the OS like Amazon does with the Kindle on the lock screen?

It's still free.

Windows 10 isn't "free".  The solitaire ads, or any ads that come with included programs in a $100+ operating system does suck.  Windows 7 solitaire didn't include ads. :) 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=windows+10&N=-1&isNodeId=1

• Like 2

Remember the golden rule of this site:

If Apple or Google do it, it's bad.

If Microsoft does it, it's fine and stop being a hater.

I remember a time when everything Microsoft does was hated upon.  And no, the behavior you'r seeing here isn't restrictive to one site - look at ars where everything Apple does seems to be a gift from god himself.

Most of the stuff in OP's article is a non issue except for the P2P behaviour of Windows Update.

Clearly it is an issue for some people.  Why do some people insist on people who ask questions or raise potential issues being complainers zzzz pointless post is pointless.

If you think this OS is free and not paid for by selling your data you can keep the tin foil hat and wear it as a badge of honour for naivety.

go on, disable them. you know you can do it.

I remember a time when everything Microsoft does was hated upon.  And no, the behavior you'r seeing here isn't restrictive to one site - look at ars where everything Apple does seems to be a gift from god himself.

Most of the stuff in OP's article is a non issue except for the P2P behaviour of Windows Update.

It's a non-issue that unless you actively wade through pages of settings, or are silly enough to use a Microsoft Account in Windows 10, that you're automatically opted in to extensive data collection by Microsoft? Wow, I don't recall people on Neowin being so dismissive when Google has done the same thing for example!

From the Microsoft Privacy Agreement:

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to.

Non-issue to fanboys maybe, but this is not how my versions of Windows prior to Windows 10 worked, and I for one don't welcome the new data-grubbing Microsoft one bit.

You've clearly not spent much time on this site then.

• Like 1

Seems like most people here are posterboy Microsoft fans who don't care about their privacy, so why should other people care?

Now that is what is ignorant, not everybody is 10 years old and not everybody upgrades their system because it is cool and new!! Some people actually use their computer for work (and no not work where they spend 80% of the day on Facebook, like most millennials).

Whether or not data is anonymous is not the problem, it is Microsoft's huge lack of concern about user privacy, its need to perform Google like tracking, and the fact that it wants to include ads on its built in software like a Sprint version of android.

Just days after a smooth launch of its Windows 10 OS, Microsoft has come under fire for its approach to user privacy. The latest OS by Microsoft was installed in more than 14 million systems in a day of going public, however, it is now being criticised for its default settings that apparently send personal information to Microsoft.

After a recent discovery that the so-called free game of Solitaire is laden with ads unless you pay to make it ad-free, users have now reported that some of the default settings of Windows 10 uses bandwidth to upload data to other computers running the OS, shares Wi-Fi passwords with online friends and removes the ability to opt out of security updates.

With this information, Microsoft is able to send personalised ads to users when they surf the web or make new downloads. Other than that, its digital assistant Cortana collects data from the device, such as emails, text messages, calendars, call log, etc. to provide better ‘assistance’ the next time you use these apps.

Although Microsoft is giving users the option to opt out of most of the data collection; some of the base settings still do not offer sufficient choices. For example, Windows 10 offers only two settings when it comes to Windows Update: either install and restart immediately, or install and ask permission to restart. The option to not install updates does not appear to be present on the base version of the OS.

Meanwhile, some researchers have also criticised Microsoft for its terms of service, which allow it to share user data based on nothing more than ‘good faith’ belief that doing so is required to comply with law enforcement agencies and protect user privacy.

More....
http://www.ibnlive.com/news/tech/microsoft-under-fire-over-collecting-user-data-in-new-windows-10-1028964.html

When you install you have the option to turn all that off. Anyone who wears a tin foil hat are smart enough to click the custom option for privacy setting.

And once again, this article goes over such basic things. If you don't want Cortana to collect data from your calendar, contacts and emails, then don't use it. Cortana needs that data to notify you for what you have to attend to or to send mails to begin with.

The ad ID is another point they seem to complain about while that can be disabled (heck, if I'm not wrong, it is even asked during upgrade and installation whether or not this should be enabled), and it is also how another big company named Google makes it fortune...

You know, all these claims that Windows 10 doesn't respect your privacy only make clear some people don't follow the RTFS-principle. I mean, seriously, most of this is explained in the "Use Express setttings or customize" screen during initial configuration.

Possibly because most who installed Windows 8 uninstalled it straight away lol. Doesn't make it any less hilarious Solitaire has a sub either way, it is flat out shake head material.

I like Windows 10 but there are a few MS going to MS decisions for sure. Especially on privacy. Having to go to a website to opt out of personalised ads is ridiculous. That option should be baked right into the OS and forefront on the privacy settings.

• Like 3

It's a non-issue that unless you actively wade through pages of settings, or are silly enough to use a Microsoft Account in Windows 10, that you're automatically opted in to extensive data collection by Microsoft? Wow, I don't recall people on Neowin being so dismissive when Google has done the same thing for example!

From the Microsoft Privacy Agreement:

Non-issue to fanboys maybe, but this is not how my versions of Windows prior to Windows 10 worked, and I for one don't welcome the new data-grubbing Microsoft one bit.

Yes I use a Microsoft Account and Yes I use a Google account - all the services I use are built around the data they collect.  Having google now automatically inform me about my flight schedules, upcoming appointments and possible traffic and routing problems is simply amazing and if that requires google to have my location and access to my email than so be it.  

As for Windows 10 - Cortana is not enabled by default, you have to explicitly enable it and tell her to collect whatever it needs.  This has been know for a while and the user is told about the data collection BEFORE enabling the service.  This has been known to tech people for a while AND new users get a message telling them about the (OMG SO SCARY) data collection.  So yeah, this is a non issue - use the service ==> MS will collect data about you.  

Oh no. Not good.

1362562147338370407[1].jpg

And in terms of look, it's horrible. Did they go from alpha straight to release? I'm not paying for that.

Most of you walk around with a smartphone that collects all of that info and more each day but if it's your desktop/laptop/tablet it's more of a problem now?  I get the defaults might be poor in choice to sum, but change them, it asks you to when you upgrade and when you first do the OOBE, it's right there smack in your face, read it and don't just click ok/next/yes or express settings.    Lots of this stuff has to happen or things like Cortana doesn't work, can't work even, and still MS gives you way more control over what Cortana knows through the notebook that things like Siri and Google Now don't.  

Telemetry data collection has always been in windows, as far back as I can remember, anytime a app crashes or the OS itself, it sends data to MS unless you specifically go in and turn the service off, which few do.   There's other things that have been on in the past as well, and using a MS account over a local one doesn't change much, it just makes my life more convenient since I don't have to log into every MS service through there apps and get access to the store right away.      The whole solitaire thing is a too much but it's been that way and you can play it fine without paying a cent, or not play it at all and uninstall it.

Yes I use a Microsoft Account and Yes I use a Google account - all the services I use are built around the data they collect.  Having google now automatically inform me about my flight schedules, upcoming appointments and possible traffic and routing problems is simply amazing and if that requires google to have my location and access to my email than so be it.  

As for Windows 10 - Cortana is not enabled by default, you have to explicitly enable it and tell her to collect whatever it needs.  This has been know for a while and the user is told about the data collection BEFORE enabling the service.  This has been known to tech people for a while AND new users get a message telling them about the (OMG SO SCARY) data collection.  So yeah, this is a non issue - use the service ==> MS will collect data about you.  

Yes, but you know as well as I do, there are people on this board that have also been saying for a long time that collecting data was a "Google thing" and that Microsoft doesn't have to do that because they have actual products to sell. Now the tide has turned.

Of course, I knew this. I get ads that are in Outlook.com that are directed at me. A lot of people thought Microsoft was "above" this sort of thing.