I've upgraded 7 machines to Windows 10. How many have you?

5 desktops. I had to reset 1 of them, and the other was so badly broken I couldn't even reset it. It's a good job they're allowing clean installs because their upgrade process still blows.

1 secondary Windows 8.1 laptop.  That upgrade went very smooth without issue.

That is all for now.  

Not yet "sold" on updating my Windows 7 desktop, HTPC or primary laptop.

1 PC (mine) & 1 tablet (HP stream I got given) both issues from start to finish. PC was AMD drivers being stupid and WU having a later one than the site for some reason then a day later 15.7.1 comes out?? :/

5 people at work did it as well. 1 worked fine the rest non stop issues or didn't even start/work at all.

100% rush job on the RTM status IMO.

Mainly driver issues but still, they really could have tested this upgrade process a bit better.

I've found the drivers not to be all that bad, all the problems I've had have been caused by the upgrade breaking things installed with Windows Installer (like Office and Java)

None, and I don't intend to upgrade any until Windows 11/12/13 gets released or Windows 7 stops being supported - whichever comes first.

I will probably upgrade Windows 8.1 PCs around but so far I've seen nothing about Windows 10 that warrants an upgrade.

• Like 2

5 machines at home (household use) 

2 machines for parents.

1 duff install so far. flashing cursor of death after first reboot, partially fixed it, for it to happen the next 4 restarts after install completion, given up for the weekend on it. its an old Vostro i dont need, going to reinstall W7 and donate to my Gfs mum. finally kill off her Win XP Home fushitsu PC :p 

Install times vary,

• Centrino based laptop with SSD (sata2) and 8gb ram inplace upgrade retaining all files and apps 45mins.
  • i7 2600k games rig with SSds and 8Gb ram inplace upgrade retaining all files n apps 35mins
  • i5 laptop with SSD & 8Gb ram inplace upgrade retaining all files n apps 40mins
  • i3 laptop with platter drive and 4Gb ram inplace upgrade retaining all files n apps 2hours!
  • Atom dual core 1.6Gb with 4Gb ram and 7200 platter drive inplace upgrade retaining all files n apps 2hours!
Edited by Mando

Is anyone having issues using the force upgrade method? I can't get one of mine to upgrade using that method..just keeps saying up to date on update check.

Is anyone having issues using the force upgrade method? I can't get one of mine to upgrade using that method..just keeps saying up to date on update check.

bin it and do this > http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

download apt media kit, run it and select upgrade this PC. Done this method both ways on all machines ive updated. All activated without issue on 29th :)

why wait? :)

1 - Tablet

6 - Laptops

9 - Desktops

and I still have more that I'll upgrade. Only problems I ran into is one Win 7 machine would not install as it couldn't update the system recovery partition - this required the partition to be manually resized from 100mb to over 350mb.

The next one was a little more challenging, it crashed during the second boot process, and would roll back to Win 7. First, leapfrog drivers were causing this issue - uninstalled - and windows 10 installed fine. After successfully installing and updating, the system crashed at bootup, with a kernel security check failure.  This required a boot to safe mode, and I uninstalled the older Lenovo drivers / software (All the ones that showed older dates).

A third machine, had an older insider preview installed on it. I installed RTM over it, but it wouldn't activate. Had to reinstall Win 7 and then upgrade to win 10.

FYI, I upgraded another machine, made sure it was activated. The very next day, I replaced the hard drive with a brand new SSD. Performed a clean install of win 10 from ISO (skipped the multiple requests for product key) Machine activated just fine. Very smooth process over all.

4 desktops and 1 laptop.

Every single one of them was a pain. Two of them couldn't get past the windows update portion saying the WIM was missing and then the other ones had errors that said "something happened".

The only one that has gone smoothly was the one that was already on the insider preview.

Eventually just downloaded the ISO and upgraded that way.

I've done my 3 desktops, my SP3, and my friend's Windows 7 laptop. The laptop hadn't installed updates since 2011(!?) so I had to spend a couple days updating it before I could start the Windows 10 upgrade. Went smooth though.

My main desktop was having problems shutting down with fast startup enabled and I couldn't track down the problem, so ended up clean installing after a couple days. Luckily I was anticipating doing a clean install of Windows 10 on it anyway, so I didn't have very much installed on it yet. All are running like a dream now.

Perhaps not coincidentally, my SP3 was the only device that upgraded right away through Windows update, the rest I didn't feel like waiting and used the Media Creation tool method.

12 computers so far

4 tablets

4 pcs

4 laptops

No issues on any of them eaither

Edited by Manarift

I've been trying the update procedure on my older netbook. It's my test machine of sorts. Since it's basic hardware and programs, I figure the upgrade procedure would go smoothly. It's been anything but.

I keep getting asked for my cd key to activate.

Doesn't anyone do clean installs anymore? What ever happened to that when a new Windows version came out it was time to start fresh, backup your data, format, and reinstall your apps? My desktop machine had ran Windows 7 (which I bought) so I qualified for the free upgrade but I bought the full version of Windows Home for it anyway on launch day. A problem free new install and will have no issues transferring it over to the new PC I will be building at the end of the year. I will still have my old product key so this box will go back to Windows 7.

All the stories of people struggling with upgrading their computers is painful to watch. Free is nice but $119 is a small price to pay for convenience with no questions about one's licensing status. It helps I never bothered with Windows 8 so it's been like 6 years since had to pay for Windows.