Can't activate Windows 10

I have been a member of the Insiders Group for months, downloading and installing all the Windows 10 pre-releases up to and including #10240. On July 29 and 30 I kept checking UPDATES to see if I could download the final Windows 10...nothing but Windows Defender updates. I then followed a link from Gabe Aul to get Windows 10. It downloaded and installed, but won't activate. I tried to force the activation by trying SLMGR.VBS/ATO at the command prompt, but I keep getting this error message. "ERROR:0XC004C003  The activation server determined the specified product key is blocked". I have tried about 50 times, same message. I then went to Settings, Update, Activation, and see that the last 5 digits of my key are  3V66T. I do not know where that number came from. It is Not on the back of the Dell Windows 7 computer, nor is it the number I used way back when I downloaded the first version of Windows 10 that ended in HQRJR.  I had to get the motherboard replaced about 10 months ago, but I do not think that is the problem, or I would not have been a member of the insider group etc. to start with. Suggestions please  ??  Mike

You have the exact same issue that I have, I just posted about this too, what's even more strange is that your key ends with the same digits as mine hmmm, maybe this is not my original key after all hmmm weird.

Uh, that product key is the one from the Insider builds. I have the exact same key. Don't know why though. Thought Microsoft would upgrade each person using a different product key for each person, but I guess not. And heck, I upgraded from Windows 7 as well.

You have the exact same issue that I have, I just posted about this too, what's even more strange is that your key ends with the same digits as mine hmmm, maybe this is not my original key after all hmmm weird.

That's a generic key that it uses for all installations. It's not a problem, you just have to follow the correct procedure to get it to activate.

That's a generic key that it uses for all installations. It's not a problem, you just have to follow the correct procedure to get it to activate.

Thanks Javik for the reply.  What is the correct procedure to activate ?? Thanks, Mike

Yeah, and Microsoft shouldn't be using generic keys. That's a bad idea. Each person should get a different product key rather than a generic one.

you should have staye don the insider build it wasnt meant to be free to them anyways

if you want to activate you have to install 7 or 8/8.1 and activate those copies then upgrade to 10 and then your copy will be upgraded and activated

then when you do a fresh install you wont need a key as its tied to your MSA

When I did my upgrade, mine wouldn't activate and I tried like forty times to get it to do so manually. I then ran Windows update and it had two updates. On the first try after it was done updating, mine activated. It may have been a coincidence but I thought I'd throw that out there.

There's nothing wrong with using generic keys, it's a lot more cost effective than issuing millions of new keys.

Once you've upgraded once, your details are stored in Microsoft's hardware entitlement database and the OS automatically activates itself when you connect to the Internet, it's a system purposely designed to do away with the need for product keys. I clean installed my OS yesterday and I got it activated without needing a product key. It's not a problem.

When I did my upgrade, mine wouldn't activate and I tried like forty times to get it to do so manually. I then ran Windows update and it had two updates. On the first try after it was done updating, mine activated. It may have been a coincidence but I thought I'd throw that out there.

thats because the activation servers were getting pounded it just eventually went thru, the op said he was on the insider build and went to upgrade over the top, but its not ment to work like that

So, what are the suggestions ? Do I just keep trying that SLMGR thingy, or re-install Windows 7 and then download Windows 10 again. The only problem with the later is that I can spend hours re-installing Windows 7 and then Windows 10, and be back at the same point I am at now.

I have been a member of the Insiders Group for months, downloading and installing all the Windows 10 pre-releases up to and including #10240. On July 29 and 30 I kept checking UPDATES to see if I could download the final Windows 10...nothing but Windows Defender updates. I then followed a link from Gabe Aul to get Windows 10. It downloaded and installed, but won't activate. I tried to force the activation by trying SLMGR.VBS/ATO at the command prompt, but I keep getting this error message. "ERROR:0XC004C003  The activation server determined the specified product key is blocked". I have tried about 50 times, same message. I then went to Settings, Update, Activation, and see that the last 5 digits of my key are  3V66T. I do not know where that number came from. It is Not on the back of the Dell Windows 7 computer, nor is it the number I used way back when I downloaded the first version of Windows 10 that ended in HQRJR.  I had to get the motherboard replaced about 10 months ago, but I do not think that is the problem, or I would not have been a member of the insider group etc. to start with. Suggestions please  ??  Mike

You do realize that 10240 is the final release version of Windows 10, right?  There is nothing else for you to download; that's why there's nothing in your updates.  Only the 341 MB update that came on July 30.  But there's no new final build after 10240, you already have it. 

You do realize that 10240 is the final release version of Windows 10, right?  There is nothing else for you to download; that's why there's nothing in your updates.  Only the 341 MB update that came on July 30.  But there's no new final build after 10240, you already have it. 

devHead, thanks for the reply. But whatever I have, it shows as not activated, and I do not have all the features of an activated OS.

devHead, thanks for the reply. But whatever I have, it shows as not activated, and I do not have all the features of an activated OS.

Keep trying...the activation servers are currently being pounded with all of the Windows 10 installations.

Keep trying...the activation servers are currently being pounded with all of the Windows 10 installations.

Thanks Kamran for the reply. I guess I would feel better if the message said "The activations servers are busy try again later" instead of saying that the "product key was blocked"

Update.  I spent an hour on the phone with Microsoft last evening. I basically repeated what I said here in post #1.  The girl replied that  3V66T (the last five digits) on my computer were not legit, even though I read here at this site others have that same number. I then read her the 25 digits on the back of my Dell laptop. She did acknowledge that those numbers were genuine. I asked since those numbers are legit, can't you give me the new activation numbers for Windows 10. She put me on hold and had to check with her boss. The boss said no, I would have to go back to Dell since the computer had an OEM 25 digit key. I asked her then that "Everyone who bought a new computer with Windows 7, do they all have to go back to the manufacturer". She really did not respond, except to say that the BOSS said I had to go back to Dell. I never heard of anything that stupid. Sooo, I am in the process of restoring the computer to the factory image, and just wait and see if I get an invite from Microsoft to download and install Windows 10, which could be weeks. I joined the Insiders club so I would not have to wait for weeks. Stupid, just stupid.

Update.  I spent an hour on the phone with Microsoft last evening. I basically repeated what I said here in post #1.  The girl replied that  3V66T (the last five digits) on my computer were not legit, even though I read here at this site others have that same number. I then read her the 25 digits on the back of my Dell laptop. She did acknowledge that those numbers were genuine. I asked since those numbers are legit, can't you give me the new activation numbers for Windows 10. She put me on hold and had to check with her boss. The boss said no, I would have to go back to Dell since the computer had an OEM 25 digit key. I asked her then that "Everyone who bought a new computer with Windows 7, do they all have to go back to the manufacturer". She really did not respond, except to say that the BOSS said I had to go back to Dell. I never heard of anything that stupid. Sooo, I am in the process of restoring the computer to the factory image, and just wait and see if I get an invite from Microsoft to download and install Windows 10, which could be weeks. I joined the Insiders club so I would not have to wait for weeks. Stupid, just stupid.

Mike13, I haven't tried this yet, but I think people in our situation just need to install the factory image with Windows 7/8/8.1 then do an upgrade with either CD media or by mounting an .iso file or USB install and select "Remove everything" which is basically a clean install, then you can just use Windows clean up utility to get rid of  the Windows.Old folder etc

Also once your PC's motherboard has been linked to your insider account it will then allow Windows to activate and you can even do an actual clean install at that point if you wish, oh don't forget to login to Windows with your Microsoft Account that is linked to the insider program hope this helps you.

Like others have mentioned, you need to do a clean install of 7 or 8, then use the media creator app from MS, and create your win10 installer

Once you do the upgrade from 7/8 to 10 - you will have 10 activated.  From that point, you can do a clean install, and once you register that new win10 image with your microsoft login, it will avtivate the new cleain install version.  A bit of a hassle, but for the tech insiders, that is what is needed to be done.

Before one complains about the process, remember you chose to be an early adopter and MS is not obligated to cater to a fringe, opt-in beta community - their priority is with the 15 million people who have upgraded through the normal process successfully, and smoothly.

Not saying you are complaining, just thought I'd throw out my own 2 cents because I had to go through the exact same thing - and when I was about to get ######, I realized I decided to take that path, and I am getting a free upgrade - so I am nothing but grateful for the new Microsoft.

• Like 2

It's worth noting that your Windows 7/8 installation MUST be activated correctly before upgrading to 10. (You don't need to have updates done)

Also, you need to do an in-place upgrade from 7/8 to 10, then it should activate normally.

Once 10 is activated, you can do a clean install if you wish. You do not ever specify a product key for 10 installs.

Thanks guys for the replies. I have re-installed Windows 7 Home Premium to the Dell laptop, and it shows activated. I also  downloaded over 200 updates. Now if I understand what you are all telling me, is that I can go to the link below, and choose the  (Download tool now 32 bit version), and then choose UPGRADE this computer, like I did the first time ? Then Windows 10 should be installed and activated. Then if I want I can do a CLEAN install with the DVD I already created.  Thanks again, Mike

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10?OCID=WIP_r_Win10_Body_AddPC

Best is to download Windows 10 iso manually and mount it inside an activated 7/8.1. Run the setup and let it upgrade by keeping all files and settings.

Once it's upgraded, you should have a perfectly activated Windows 10 copy. Then you can clean install. 

Yea..all well and good for the instructions above but myself and many others (check lots of other websites with this issue) have experienced following:

Legitimate, genuine and activated copy of windows 7 Home (in my case) or 8/8.1 . Received the upgrade invite 29 Jul.. Performed the Win 10 upgrade to Win 10 Home 29 Jul. Verified it was ACTIVATED. Downloaded media creation tool 31Jul. Created Bootable Win 10 USB drive. Performed clean install (deleted existing win 10 partition). Install went fine 31 Jul . Now  (5 Aug)  have installed and fully up to date Win 10 home install which WILL NOT activate and throws up "error 0xC004C003. The activation server determined the specified product key is blocked". Tried mashing slmgr /ato , didnt help. Surely activation servers aren't stll overloaded! What a load of sh*t. 

you need to instal windows 7 using the key on the bottom of your laptop not using the factory image. then dont window supdate just run you windows 10 installer upgrade and keep everything and just get it to activate, once activated go ahead and clean install 10 ive done it this way now with 2 machines

Pre-release product keys for Windows 10 Insider Preview have been deactivated

All pre-release product keys published earlier for builds of Windows 10 Insider Preview have been deactivated and will no longer activate any Preview builds, including Build 10240.  This will not impact any devices that were activated in the past using those product keys.

We hope Insiders will continue to test Build 10240, which is only intended to be installed as an upgrade from a previously-activated version of Windows 10 Insider Preview – we do not support clean installs of Windows 10240.  Windows 10 is intended to be installed on Genuine Windows devices, whether devices in the Windows Insider Program or those taking advantage of the free upgrade offer.

We’re getting really close to the launch of Windows 10, and we’re looking to receive that final bit of feedback before we roll out the finished product!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/pre-release-product-keys-for-windows-10-insider/97e6cd1f-ee8a-42ea-b76c-46aa4af8e203?auth=1