Report: Konami Is Treating Its Staff Like Prisoners

According to a report on Nikkei, the corporate culture at Konami—home of Metal Gear, Silent Hill and Pro Evolution Soccer—hasn’t only soured over the past few years, but has become almost terrifyingly Orwellian.

Nikkei’s report alleges that the culture at the corporation’s video game division, famous for its console games, worsened in around 2010 when a mobile title called Dragon Collection became a smash hit. As a social game for phones, development costs were low and profit returns were huge. Not long after, the report says, Konami’s corporate bosses shifted the company’s focus away from traditional, hardcore games and towards cheaper, and potentially more lucrative social titles.

(Somewhat related, the same Nikkei report says that Metal Gear Solid 5’s development costs have surpassed 10 billion yen/US$80 million).

In a country where mobile gaming has exploded in popularity, the fact Konami has pivoted to this type of offering isn’t in itself surprising. What is, however, are some of the office conditions Nikkei reports have arisen as a result of the shift, especially with regards to how Konami treats employees.

Here’s a breakdown of the Nikkei piece’s allegations. Some of it we’ve heard before. Some of it is new:

More @ http://kotaku.com/report-konami-is-treating-its-staff-like-prisoners-1721700073

Boycott time. Shocking stuff. 

I wouldn't be able to do that until next month, thanks to MGSV.

yeah most of the gamers (not casual ones) are only going to buy MGSV because of Kojima, not Konami. And then they are done with Konami for good.

pretty shameful stuff happening at Konami though.

• Like 1

Nikkei’s report alleges that the culture at the corporation’s video game division, famous for its console games, worsened in around 2010 when a mobile title called Dragon Collection became a smash hit. As a social game for phones, development costs were low and profit returns were huge. Not long after, the report says, Konami’s corporate bosses shifted the company’s focus away from traditional, hardcore games and towards cheaper, and potentially more lucrative social titles.

I wonder Nintendo would do the same, if those they also ditch console and entered mobile gamimg market?

#FlipKonami

Let them kill themselves. I'd like to see what they do when the casual audience that doesn't give a flip about who's developing what moves to other games.

I hear Konami's next working title will be Mega-lo-mania - and no, I'm not referring to a remake.

To be honest, with that title... I was expecting much worse.

And everything is so vague. Like... they are monitoring employees who take long lunch breaks. But what do they define as an excessively long lunch break?

That's not all they are doing. They're turning our beloved franchises into slot machines:

The erotic violence Castlevania is even worse than this... it's just.... **** Konami.

The erotic violence Castlevania is even worse than this... it's just.... **** Konami.

holy crap.  this guys do not care at all.    switching to mobile i understand, but using beloved franchises for gambling machines....  ######!

I went through the list on the source site and to be honest it just sounds like any civil service job here in the UK. Yeah, a ###### place to work, but I wasn't particularly shocked.

Konami hasn't been "in the game" for years.... nobody cares for/about them

I went through the list on the source site and to be honest it just sounds like any civil service job here in the UK. Yeah, a ###### place to work, but I wasn't particularly shocked.

Sadly I have to agree, here too things go like that, under the new labour reform employers will be able to do all those things Konami is doing, including GPS monitoring on company's mobile devices, video surveillance, Internet usage monitoring and demotions.

What you have to remember is we should never be comparing working in government to being a game dev :p

There are far too many great examples of how to allow game devs to work, and how creative and enjoyable workplaces will make for better games/ideas. Look at MM :p

What you have to remember is we should never be comparing working in government to being a game dev :p

Absolutely agree. Any creative work of any sort flourishes far better in an open, friendly, relaxed environment.

Actually...scrap that, any work should flourish better in those environments :p 

a3RKf2H.png

On Steam is now

sptbC5a.png

I don't like how they seem to think it's ok to erase Hideo Kojima's existence from a franchise that pretty much carried Konami throughout the 90's.

• Like 1