"Settings" versus "Control Panel": Which done do you prefer?

The new Settings app would be good if it had everything in it. It's annoying to open it up and navigate through only to find I need to open the Control Panel anyway. Using Search (taskbar) to find a setting I'm after seems to be more "hit and miss" than it was in Windows 8.

I think the fact that they released a new OS with two separate places for settings is putrid. I like the OS overall, but as has been echoed numerous times here and elsewhere, it looks like it was thrown together at the last minute.  And the Control Panel / Settings app is only one small example.

I have no problems with the normal settings dialogs & windows changing over - as I said, I don't mind the new Settings app.

But look at the Event Viewer, Hyper-V Manager, Performance Monitor, Firewall Advanced Security, Computer Management.... trying to move these apps into a Modern UI and not losing the functionality would be very difficult. I like Microsoft tools, and I do like 10, I think it's a great system - but Modern UI's won't be the best solution for everything.

You mentioned the Services tool not being hard to move, and sure - it probably wouldn't. But look at the mess that is the Apps screen in Settings VS the old Programs window in the Control Panel. Sorting using dropdowns, having to click items to get more info about them. It's not a good solution. The user interface needs to catch up a bit more, right now it's not as flexible as Win32/NET framework UI's were.

I understand what you're saying, some things like the ones you've listed don't have to be added to the new Settings app, Event Viewer and so on, those can stay apps, and they don't have to be modern/RT apps though even if they were WinRT has a level of overlap with Win32 API wise so I don't think they'd lose functionality, and nothing says the new UI changes wouldn't work.  But then again, they don't have to be modern/RT apps, they can stay as they are, just updated to match the rest of the systems UI.

And as for your 2nd point, I agree, the Settings app needs more work/options in different parts but that's not a limit of the app itself and more the way they added things.  Nothing stops them from adding more sorting and info options into the Apps list for example.

How can this happen and still have support for legacy applications?  Unless they're going to do away with compatibility, the closest you're going to get to its removal will be them renaming it to "legacy control panel". 

It's going to be around longer than you think. 

As time moves on, applications should be updated to work with Settings. Legacy be damned.

I prefer the more refined look of settings but at the same time I think they need to keep more advanced items in control panel in a separate place. i.e. converting control panel completely into settings will be a nightmare of Windows 7 proportions.

I will be patient with win10 - but so many things need to change/be improved - the Settings adaptation of control panel is one of them.

Still using control panel

Oh...and Im so glad I spent $1000 on a fancy monitor - so I could see such vivid black and white crap - thanks MS

People spend good money to get a screen that can display black well... :p

• Like 2

I prefer the more refined look of settings but at the same time I think they need to keep more advanced items in control panel in a separate place. i.e. converting control panel completely into settings will be a nightmare of Windows 7 proportions.

They need to remove duplicate options though imo.

There's no need for 2 default programs place specially since it's not really a power user feature at all. The more advanced settings (like custom power plans) can stay in a legacy control panel available thru admin or system tools but a little bit of cleaning will be required there's too much settings remaining in the old control panel  and not all of them are actually advanced settings.

People spend good money to get a screen that can display black well... :p

It's better than the black/green or black/orange we monochrome monitor kids grew up with ;)

It's better than the black/green or black/orange we monochrome monitor kids grew up with ;)

Its funny, but when Im in CLI on Windows or @ work on VMS - I like the old green text on black screen - although I usually change it to red text - but it is a bit of warm, fuzzy nostalgia.

I think it would be foolish to cram every single options from the Control Panel into Settings.

A more realistic and worthy goal is to make most options non-seavv users might use accessible from Settings while keeping Control Panel for more advance users.

The Control Panel is like a maze. People have to memorize where the options since they are not easy to find.

Well, I have to wonder that if all the advance options from the Control Panel were added to Settings, Settings might bee just as convoluted as Control Panel is now.

Like I said above, if all the options from Control Panel were added in Settings, Settings might be as convoluted as Control Panel is right now.

I'm not so sure. The new settings panel has a fast search function which will make settings easier to locate, it will obviously take some getting used to but eventually I think it has the potential to make the control panel obsolete. Though I support a gradual shift rather than a "Here's this radically new UI, shut up and use it" deal like we got with the start screen.

In fact if Microsoft make it so that people can plug things into the settings app like they did with the control panel, eventually it would eliminate the need for the control panel altogether.

Honestly, before I used Windows 10 I was unsure myself, but I think having a unified settings panel is a good thing for forward continuity.

Control Panel. It has more advanced options for power users and displays more information than the Metro settings programs. 

The only time I've had to go into the old control panel was to change advanced power settings. What else have you found to be missing?

I'm willing to bet the current settings panel is a victim of the rush to get W10 on the market, eventually I'm sure all of the settings you can find in the control panel will be put into the new settings app.

I use a desktop so I prefer the old one. The new one would be fine if you could resize the icons but you can't. They are just stupidly huge.