Asus Eeebook X205TA

My wife has one of these, which came with Windows 8.1 with Bing.  For those that don't know it is a 'ChromeBook killer' machine - Quad Core Atom, 32GB eMMC storage, 2GB RAM - basically a tablet with a 11.6" screen, no touch capability and a keyboard.

The machine was upgraded to Windows 10 last night, and the upgrade went swimmingly - everything still works (yay!) and performance seems no worse than it was before.

However, the machine came with a recovery partition, about 8GB in size (yes, 25% of the total storage) and I would like to get rid of it.  I don't know if there is some crazy WIM related stuff there and I can't find anything on the internet that gives me a solid answer.  For the record, the Microsoft tool to move the recovery partition onto a USB, which typically allows you to delete the recovery partition after it completes, happily allows you to copy the partition onto the USB stick (and the USB stick does work) doesn't allow you to delete the partition on this machine.

I see two options here:

1. The right way: Reinstall a clean Windows 10, deleting all partitions in the process.
  2. The easy/quick way: Delete the partition from outside Windows using a partition manager tool, and extend the Windows partition to fill the space.

Any idea as to whether the easy/quick way would work?  I could do it the right way, but would rather be spending my life doing something else if the easy way is quicker.

I'd like to know this as well. I upgraded and have about 8GB free. Before the upgrade I basicallyed restored the laptop as if it was new, then upgraded. I ended up putting a 32GB microSD card in as well.

To the OP, does your FN+brightness/airplane mode/etc work? I can only control the volume using the FN+volume keys. Also, no more right side bar pop out when the mouse hovers to the corners. I'm just going to assume Microsoft removed that function along with split screening.

Feel a little stupid now.  I assumed based on how much storage space I had left that the recovery partition was still there, but turns out that it was removed as part of the Windows 10 upgrade when I actually looked in Disk Management.  When I deleted the previous Windows Installation and the set-up files I had a whopping 16GB of free space.

@Dinggus All the keys work as they should, including brightness and airplane mode.  Not sure what you mean by right side bar pop out or Microsoft removing split screening (the former, or the Charms bar has been removed - the latter is supported in a different way).

Feel a little stupid now.  I assumed based on how much storage space I had left that the recovery partition was still there, but turns out that it was removed as part of the Windows 10 upgrade when I actually looked in Disk Management.  When I deleted the previous Windows Installation and the set-up files I had a whopping 16GB of free space.

@Dinggus All the keys work as they should, including brightness and airplane mode.  Not sure what you mean by right side bar pop out or Microsoft removing split screening (the former, or the Charms bar has been removed - the latter is supported in a different way).

I still have my 8GB partition, so I don't know what you did.

Hmm, I wonder what happened during my installation then, only thing that works is the volume controls. As for the charms bar, that's probably what I'm talking about.

• 4 months later...
On 8/4/2015, 11:46:31, Fahim S. said:

My wife has one of these, which came with Windows 8.1 with Bing.  For those that don't know it is a 'ChromeBook killer' machine - Quad Core Atom, 32GB eMMC storage, 2GB RAM - basically a tablet with a 11.6" screen, no touch capability and a keyboard.

The machine was upgraded to Windows 10 last night, and the upgrade went swimmingly - everything still works (yay!) and performance seems no worse than it was before.

However, the machine came with a recovery partition, about 8GB in size (yes, 25% of the total storage) and I would like to get rid of it.  I don't know if there is some crazy WIM related stuff there and I can't find anything on the internet that gives me a solid answer.  For the record, the Microsoft tool to move the recovery partition onto a USB, which typically allows you to delete the recovery partition after it completes, happily allows you to copy the partition onto the USB stick (and the USB stick does work) doesn't allow you to delete the partition on this machine.

I see two options here:

1. The right way: Reinstall a clean Windows 10, deleting all partitions in the process.
  2. The easy/quick way: Delete the partition from outside Windows using a partition manager tool, and extend the Windows partition to fill the space.

Any idea as to whether the easy/quick way would work?  I could do it the right way, but would rather be spending my life doing something else if the easy way is quicker.

Just an update, I was able to delete and merge the 8GB partition, ended up with around 9GB free after the fact.

I then learned about the disk clean-up advance settings, which had 11GB of previous Windows installations. I figured since I didn't know if those were safe to clean up, I'll just do trial and error.

I now have  14.7GB out of 28.4GB free.