Microsoft Edge - What's missing

What do you think is missing from Edge? Sure they drastically improved the rendering engine, but the host UI is very lacking

So far I found this very annoying, just a quick list of some so far off the top of my head

• Context menus - what happened to them? There is nothing there useful!
  • Printing - Why do I have to start a printing app to print? Why can't we just print like the old days, do I really need a splash screen to say "PRINT!" before getting a print dialog?
  • Address bar placement on first open, why is it hidden / moved into the window below? Just show it! it will be there when you browse anyways
  • Context menus again - Why no select and search text still?
  • Context menus - still no select a text link and get go to url still?
  • Context menus - no print, have to go into menu bar to do it... this is just a habbit
  • Favorites - why even have a favorites folder if you aren't going to use it? Edge should of stored the favorite links in there like IE did but sync them out of that folder like a synced folder, why have an all new system?
  • When you click close on the window X button you only get close all or don't close, it use to be close current, close all or do nothing, some people do this out of habbit, I know I already had to explain to the parents that you can just close a single tab... but they are stuck on the x to close the current tab on the question

and before someone else says it "extensions"...

I don't use them but a lot seem to... but that's at least coming here soon

• Like 3

How about a jump list? Most of my other applications, including Google Chrome, have small jump lists (but that's for another topic), but Edge doesn't even have those.

What do you think is missing from Edge? Sure they drastically improved the rendering engine, but the host UI is very lacking

and before someone else says it "extensions"...

I don't use them but a lot seem to... but that's at least coming here soon

Dang.. was about to :) Well it's the only reason why I don't use Edge at the moment, even though I actually like it. Blame it on my password manager, really

• Like 1

I will say it even though you mentioned it, extensions. Seriously, don't release a browser without extensions in this day and age. You are not going to take on the big dogs without extension support. Normal tech people are going to look at Edge, and say "oh that's nice," and move on. 

• Like 2

I don't have a print app with a "PRINT!" splash screen when I try to print in Edge. Could that be something from windows update that was installed when it detected your printer and installed the drivers and applications form the printer maker?

Also I swear I saw a "Ask Cortana" when you selected text and brought up the context menu to do a search but now its gone.

... and now its back. I kept pressing Windows key + C (speak to Cortana) and nothing was happening. Pressed Windows key + Q (Type in Cortana) worked and then "Ask Cortana" was working in Edge (and Windows key + C was working again). This OS....

Edited by Doli

Another context menu item - Back

I can't believe how used to right click - back I had gotten. 

What's missing from Edge?  Speed.

When browsing through these forums with Firefox 40.0, clicking on an unread topic results in the page being loaded completely in 1-2 seconds.  Doing the exact same thing in Edge consistently takes 3-6 seconds.

What's missing from Edge?  Speed.

When browsing through these forums with Firefox 40.0, clicking on an unread topic results in the page being loaded completely in 1-2 seconds.  Doing the exact same thing in Edge consistently takes 3-6 seconds.

complete opposite for me... FF seems to be slower then chrome and Edge for me... but I do get occasional odd pauses in edge that just don't make sense, like it's stuck in a wait loop waiting for a callback or response from something